The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another question from newbie me.  Why was Beckie not given a spot at the World Cup?  Given that she is our top scorer right now, I would imagine that her skill level would've been somewhat close last year.  I think she would definitely have been better than Filigno for sure.  Am I missing something again?  I just wonder why Herdman didn't make her a regular sooner.

There were two major tournaments last year, the World Cup and the Panam games.  Herdman decided that he would mostly play the veterans at the World Cup (and release them to their pro teams right after), and the junior players got the Panam games to themselves.  Young Team Canada didn't really shine at the Panam games, so I don't think Herdman's decision was bad to keep many of them out of the World Cup.

Getting antsy for the game.  Was originally along the line of losing for the "easier" quarter but after reading/hearing opinions online and in pods I hope we do win today.  Ok back to work for another couple of hours.

15 hours ago, The Ref said:

I don't think Yekka made the 18 player roster.  I think that if Wilkinson hangs her boots, it will be a good spot for Yekka unless Herdman falls for Belanger as first choice.

Bélanger is hinting towards retirement. She wants  to start a family , she hasn't closed the door on coming back, but the odds of her coming back are not good.

German line-up:

Unsere Aufstellung: Schult, Henning, Bartusiak, Behringer, Goeßling, Marozsan, Mittag, Kemme, Peter, Islacker, Kerschowski. #GERCAN

This is an older, more defensive group with some of their younger attack-minded players not starting: Popp,Dabritz,Maier.  There still some threats in this line-up though: Mittag, Marozsan,  and Kerschowski is a real gritty athletic wide player in the midfield.

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Where are we at in terms of the thinking re play hard, mail this one in, training ground kickaround exercise, etc.?

I thought we wanted to finish 2nd in the group - is that still the case?

I think the lineup says it all. Not going out of their way to win.

If Canada wins or ties then we likely play France in the quarter-finals. If Canada loses then we likely play China/Sweden in the quarter-finals. One scenario is a "win" followed by a poison pill. The other scenario is a "loss" with a silver lining.

Archived