The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Stop calling women "domestic" it's discriminatory.

I didn't say that. By the way I'm a stay at home Dad. This a National Women's soccer forum and you guys think

it's funny to make jokes about abuse right before our country's going to take the field in a huge game.

A real lack of class.

8 minutes ago, sting said:

I didn't say that. By the way I'm a stay at home Dad. This a National Women's soccer forum and you guys think

it's funny to make jokes about abuse right before our country's going to take the field in a huge game.

A real lack of class.

Part of our job as supporters is to get our opponents off their game. This includes, bringing up personal things like domestic assault charges or leaked photos of opposing players. In my books, if it's not racist, homophobic, or sexist, it's fair game.

Hope Solo is the person who is showing the lack of class, not us.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Part of our job as supporters is to get our opponents off their game. This includes, bringing up personal things like domestic assault and leaked photos of opposing players. In my books, if it's not racist, homophobic, or sexist, it's fair game.

Hope Solo is the person who is showing the lack of class, not us.

It;s not fair to say "cuz they got it cummin' to 'em"  

6 minutes ago, sting said:

It;s not fair to say "cuz they got it cummin' to 'em"  

He is not even remotely implying that they do. 

He is speaking to the mindset of the abuser as their rationalization for the things they do. 

It is subtle and sarcastic but ultimately a take down of the abuser and a defense of the abused as the absurdity by which abusers rationalize things like losing an important game.

FWIW - if it were almost anyone else, from almost any other country, I would probably consider the jokes further offside than I do here.  But Hope is a special kind of asshole - extremely rude and arrogant, and has done publicly documented things that make her the subject of jokes and criticism.

4 minutes ago, sting said:

I didn't say you said. I was talking about the person who was agreeing with your joke.

Touche!

3 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Can we please stop fighting about this?  We should be celebrating (unless if you're a USA supporter, which I doubt any of us are).  Now we are getting way off topic.

I agree. Here's a comeback from Sundhage to Solo's quote:

I experienced deja vu reading Hope Solo's comments -- Cristiano Ronaldo said essentially the same things about Iceland!

Fortunately there was no deja vu of 2012 after the USA got another ridiculous call in their favour (Sweden goal called back for non-existent offside in extra time) because this time they ultimately lost. :D

Unfortunately Solo's comments have overshadowed her on-field antics. For those who didn't see the game, as Sweden were going to take their last penalty kick for the win, Solo delayed the proceedings by deciding that she needed new goalkeeper gloves. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Sherm, he's responding to my post which seems to have gone way over his PC-gone-awry head.

It did go over your head, you actually thought i intended that they deserved it.

And you are incredibly sensitive. So less insult and more keen observation.

Archived