• Last Reply
On 2016-12-10 at 4:47 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

"how ya makin er bye" thats one that i'm pretty sure is legit

also, just experimenting with Quebec city a little

old version for reference:

tvzdL7m.png

new version:

RruCDFQ.png

cleaned up the towers a little, and add a bit more red(trying to pretty blatantly evoke the nordiques)

heres a version without the added trim on the sides, might be better but just felt like it looked a little empty.  not sure.

dKTdCLn.png

feedback would be great :D

I am new to this forum and I gotta say I love Guillermo Del Quarto's design for so many cities: Victoria, Halifax, Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, KWC, Edmonton, and a lot of others.

But I am from Quebec City, and that logo is not good enough. So, here is some feedback:

1) If you want to salvage this logo, you have to switch QC to Québec. QC is the english form and locals refer to the city as Québec not Québec City. No red! Blue and white is fine. And the castle to me is the worst part. If you are going to include a castle, it must Quebec City relevant, i.e. make it look like Chateau Frontenac. Then, you can sweethen the badge by adding a message on the rim that quote Governor Frontenac: "Par La Bouche De Mes Canons". I think it make the logo more relatable to Quebecers.

2) If you want to start from scratch and I would recommend that you stick to the City Flag colors: Its darker blue (probably marine blue), yellow and white.

List of elements you can use:

-the ship on the city's flag too, which symbolizes New France

-a Fleur de Lys

-the Huron-Wendat symbol, as there is a reserve within city limits now

-a more traditional style of badge but the top could be styled like ramparts or a castle

-cannons are an essential part too

-1202085_canons-600.jpg

-one of the walled city's gates like famous St.Louis' gate

6 hours ago, TonyBruneau said:

I am new to this forum and I gotta say I love Guillermo Del Quarto's design for so many cities: Victoria, Halifax, Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, KWC, Edmonton, and a lot of others.

But I am from Quebec City, and that logo is not good enough. So, here is some feedback:

1) If you want to salvage this logo, you have to switch QC to Québec. QC is the english form and locals refer to the city as Québec not Québec City. No red! Blue and white is fine. And the castle to me is the worst part. If you are going to include a castle, it must Quebec City relevant, i.e. make it look like Chateau Frontenac. Then, you can sweethen the badge by adding a message on the rim that quote Governor Frontenac: "Par La Bouche De Mes Canons". I think it make the logo more relatable to Quebecers.

2) If you want to start from scratch and I would recommend that you stick to the City Flag colors: Its darker blue (probably marine blue), yellow and white.

List of elements you can use:

-the ship on the city's flag too, which symbolizes New France

-a Fleur de Lys

-the Huron-Wendat symbol, as there is a reserve within city limits now

-a more traditional style of badge but the top could be styled like ramparts or a castle

-cannons are an essential part too

-1202085_canons-600.jpg

-one of the walled city's gates like famous St.Louis' gate

awesome feedback.  Great to finally talk to someone from Quebec!

I don't know when exactly but i'll be back! :)

5 hours ago, Xavier said:

I made this a long time ago for my first CPL attempts. Colour scheme needs work but something like this would work. Personally I'd remove the city part.

This is a great idea, I think it makes the badge both unique and locally-relevant. Like you said colors will need to be worked on but I like the idea of the Chateau Frontenac being part of the badge.

On 04/05/2017 at 0:48 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

Here you go..... @GuillermoDelQuarto, based on the changes you suggested.calgary-foothills-v2.thumb.png.c3fd124949cd1f1ff26696d60f90d84c.png

I like it better this way TBH.

I also think that making the black box with "Calgary" in it overlapping the mountain outline on the right side should be changed.  Maybe a bit more of the rose being visible would be good, but I wonder if that would force the rose to be too small.  Other than that, it's beautiful.

18 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

I have an image in my head, would that work?  

Otherwise you're relying on the deadly combination of me & computer thingies...whatever they're called.  Well, here goes:

Porte St.-Louis-1.jpeg

Porte St.-Louis II.jpeg

On 2017-05-13 at 10:37 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Guillermo strikes again!

how did I do? 

Quebec City CF.png

This Looks good! The accent in Québec is wrong, it should go in the other direction. I now realize that the ship and the canons make it look a way too busy. Or maybe it would look better if the ship was sailing towards us instead. 

5 hours ago, TonyBruneau said:

This Looks good! The accent in Québec is wrong, it should go in the other direction. I now realize that the ship and the canons make it look a way too busy. Or maybe it would look better if the ship was sailing towards us instead. 

Really?  I thought the combo with the layout of the cannons and Fleur de Lis actually worked.  Can try some other versions though, and maybe one with the ship sailing towards.

As far as the accent goes, please forgive my anglophoneness :P

On 13/05/2017 at 3:22 PM, Xavier said:

I made this a long time ago for my first CPL attempts. Colour scheme needs work but something like this would work. Personally I'd remove the city part.

I wouldn't put City. Québec only is fine and you better belive that there will be an acute accent on the first e. Québec is a francophone city and francophones don't need to say Ville to know that they're talking about the city and not the province. Plus let's be honest if you're marketing to francophones, I think the last thing you want is have something like City.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

I wouldn't put City. Québec only is fine and you better belive that there will be an acute accent on the first e. Québec is a francophone city and francophones don't need to say Ville to know that they're talking about the city and not the province. Plus let's be honest if you're marketing to francophones, I think the last thing you want is have something like City.

100% right. Expect the team to be francophone throughout the organization with a very big emphasis on Quebec staff and talent and anything French related.

Québec

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

It's an old concept. 

Plus you don't have to lecture me about marketing to francophones, I am one ;)

Archived