On 23/04/2017 at 6:17 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

you make a good point. 

I'm somewhat torn.  Minimalism is almost always good, but the truth is that if you look at just about all of the most popular soccer crests, they aren't that simple.

The only exception that comes to mind is Rangers.  But honestly, manchester united/city, arsenal, chelsea, real madrid, I'll give you barcelona(its fairly simple, but still not like basic).  

maybe something like this?  just fucking around with it now

Hamilton H logo.png

It looks a bit like skinny Siamese twins sharing a necktie or an excited Honduras crest (below).   I really like the previous version with the chain.  

Everyone likes different things.  For me, I'm not a fan of minimalism when it comes to team crests, although I do like something that's instantly recognizable.  

Honduras.jpeg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puffins are awesome.

I wonder, you dropped the two-tone background and put a light outline connecting the gaps in the puffin's body, how would that look? I really like the clean logo Tottenham have, and think this could work well along that kind of line.

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

how's this?

NewfoundLand FC.png

I like it. The connecting lines seem to be the right thickness and shape. Not as sure about the curved NLFC, but I don't have anything specific that I dislike about it. I think this could be a great logo stitched into polo-shirts & the like. With certain jersey designs, I think it would look pretty sharp.

Have you had the chance to give any thoughts to Porcupine Gold Rush FC? Absolutely zero rush, just wondering if you're still percolating on it.

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

hey @lazlo_80, how's this for minimalist

still trying to whittle down this idea for richmond

Richmond FC dragonball.png

Reminds me a bit of the pittsburgh steelers logo. Also, just curious, why did you turn the left star a few degrees? What do the stars stand for?

52 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Reminds me a bit of the pittsburgh steelers logo. Also, just curious, why did you turn the left star a few degrees? What do the stars stand for?

haha oh yea it totally does.

Maybe I subconciously stole it

turned the star because it looks off just straight up and down.

I'm not sure what it stands for just thought it looked cool.  I mean I'm trying to give a little nod to the chinese flag, for obvious reasons, but it might be a little over the top.

Someone on twitter mentioned that it reminded them of a dragonball, but in Richmond i'm not sure that would be a horrible idea.

Also it just kinda comes across(in my opinion anyways) as kind of like a token or coin you might use at an arcade.  And Richmond is known for being wealthy.  

trying to subtly nod to the demographics there without going over the top, It might be a bit much though.

found this while looking for a video game token, perhaps theres a way to keep the asthetic(if others like it as well) without ripping off the steelers quite so much.

digthatbox_space_invader_arcade_token_a.gametokens.jpg

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

I like it. The connecting lines seem to be the right thickness and shape. Not as sure about the curved NLFC, but I don't have anything specific that I dislike about it. I think this could be a great logo stitched into polo-shirts & the like. With certain jersey designs, I think it would look pretty sharp.

Have you had the chance to give any thoughts to Porcupine Gold Rush FC? Absolutely zero rush, just wondering if you're still percolating on it.

ah man totally forgot.  Remind me again what your thoughts were?

Here's the clippings from page 57. A lot has happened since then, so I'm not surprised it slipped your mind. I didn't have much for you to go on, but not that I've seen more, thought on it more, etc, I think I have a nugget of a preference. As I mentioned with the Puffin, I do like Tottenham-esque non-shield logos. I like shield logos too, but they all seem like shields (even the same class of shield) these days and would kinda like to get away from that. I could see a silly logo being fun (A gold porcupine chasing a soccer ball would make me lol irl ), but would prefer something that could theoretically exist if there were a club that grew up in the area.

As a little more flavour for the small-town, the main industries in Timmins today remain as they were in the early 1900s: mining & forestry. The service sector has grown tremendously, but it came at the hollowing out of everything else and a drop in employment at mines & forestry. The city does have a library whose architectural design won international awards though, so, uh... Not dead yet?

On 4/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, Rintaran said:

Alright, I've gotta see what comes of this. I'm looking for a Porcupine Gold Rush FC logo concept, from my team in the Duane Rollins Fantasy League. Team colours will be blue & gold, similar to the colours of Timmins, ON. I'm totally going to be looking into getting a jersey done with the logo & faux-sponsors. I just can't resist.

Here's the city's logo for the city's colour reference, but I'm hoping for something that isn't a direct rip of the city's logo.

City of Timmins logo

On 4/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

What's the significance of the porcupine?

@Rintaran

On 4/11/2017 at 3:31 PM, Rintaran said:

Porcupine is one of the areas in Timmins, located East of the main city, and NW of South Porcupine. The Porcupine Gold Rush was an actual gold rush that ran from 1909 - 1911 across Northern Ontario. You can read about the history on wikipedia if you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine_Gold_Rush . Basically all the different areas of (old) Timmins (McIntyre, Schumacher, Porcupine {previously "Golden City"}, South Porcupine, etc) were former mining camps that were formed during the Porcupine Gold Rush, generally around Porcupine Lake. A rail line to Golden City opened July 1st, 1911, with over 8000 claims in the area. The city burned to the ground, killing between 73 (official) - 200 (estimated) people and razing 500,000 acres of the forest on July 10th, 1911. The dead were buried at a brand new cemetery at what is still called Dead Man's Point (yes, there really is a Dead Man's Point).

Timmins itself didn't form until Noah Timmins auctioned off some flat land West of the Hollinger & McIntyre mines on Labour Day 1911. By time of incorporation on January 1st, 1912, Timmins' population had surpassed that of Golden City & South Porcupine.

It's a shockingly interesting history that is sadly not taught to locals.

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Here's the clippings from page 57. A lot has happened since then, so I'm not surprised it slipped your mind. I didn't have much for you to go on, but not that I've seen more, thought on it more, etc, I think I have a nugget of a preference. As I mentioned with the Puffin, I do like Tottenham-esque non-shield logos. I like shield logos too, but they all seem like shields (even the same class of shield) these days and would kinda like to get away from that. I could see a silly logo being fun (A gold porcupine chasing a soccer ball would make me lol irl ), but would prefer something that could theoretically exist if there were a club that grew up in the area.

As a little more flavour for the small-town, the main industries in Timmins today remain as they were in the early 1900s: mining & forestry. The service sector has grown tremendously, but it came at the hollowing out of everything else and a drop in employment at mines & forestry. The city does have a library whose architectural design won international awards though, so, uh... Not dead yet?

starting off pretty basic, although I do really like the porcupine vector I found.

kinda reminds me of the Denver nuggets, in a good way though.

Porcupine Gold Rush FC.png

20 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

starting off pretty basic, although I do really like the porcupine vector I found.

kinda reminds me of the Denver nuggets, in a good way though.

Porcupine Gold Rush FC.png

I like the porcupine as well. And you've got the colours from the City's logo, which is perfect. I did say mention that I included "the city's logo for the city's colour reference, but I'm hoping for something that isn't a direct rip of the city's logo." As in, not at all like it. It's a good spitball, and would be pretty good if I liked the city's logo.

I do liked the mono-coloured, blue tools though. And with the porcupine on the crossed tools, that's growing on me the more I see it. Not too sure how to incorporate the centre image of the tools and the porcupine without using a shield, perhaps just with "Porcupine" on top, and "Gold Rush F.C." on the bottom? You would have to use the light blue or a 3rd colour for the lettering for that to even remotely work though. Doing that though, there wouldn't be much of the gold colour in the image, so something else may be needed.

I wonder if there's another way to use the porcupine (and maybe the tools), for something that doesn't so closely resemble Timmins' crest.

20 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

another stab at vaughan

not bad right?

<image snipped: Vaughan>

I like this. Not sure if it uniquely identifies as Vaughan, but the trillium fits in there nicely. The two initial bars before the V implies movement, which I think is a pretty good element.

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

I like the porcupine as well. And you've got the colours from the City's logo, which is perfect. I did say mention that I included "the city's logo for the city's colour reference, but I'm hoping for something that isn't a direct rip of the city's logo." As in, not at all like it. It's a good spitball, and would be pretty good if I liked the city's logo.

I do liked the mono-coloured, blue tools though. And with the porcupine on the crossed tools, that's growing on me the more I see it. Not too sure how to incorporate the centre image of the tools and the porcupine without using a shield, perhaps just with "Porcupine" on top, and "Gold Rush F.C." on the bottom? You would have to use the light blue or a 3rd colour for the lettering for that to even remotely work though. Doing that though, there wouldn't be much of the gold colour in the image, so something else may be needed.

I wonder if there's another way to use the porcupine (and maybe the tools), for something that doesn't so closely resemble Timmins' crest.

I like this. Not sure if it uniquely identifies as Vaughan, but the trillium fits in there nicely. The two initial bars before the V implies movement, which I think is a pretty good element.

Hm.  Not sure what to do then.  Aren't really that many other ways to use the tools that look good.  Other than maybe having the porcupine holding one of them.  That could look cool if I can do it right though.  Cartoon-y if I fuck it up though.  As far as colour balance is concerned, if one colour is lacking, I could always make the head of the tools a different colour than the handle, and that could help balance it out.

Might have to think on it for a little bit.

oh and about the Vaughan one, The V is loosely based on the one from the clubs current(blasphemous) logo.  The trillium seems warranted as I believe ontario soccer's HQ is in Vaughan.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, baulderdash77 said:

These are fantastic uniforms.  Colour scheme is good, design is clean and I think Tim Hortons may even be a sponsor.  

I really don't like the HC logo though.  It looks like a city that starts with C not H.  I really prefer the hammer based logo that @GuillermoDelQuarto designed

*edit* on second thought that all black jersey would be brutally hot in the middle of summer.  A black and white one with gold accents would be better.  The Black and Gold one is almost perfect though.

Yeah, but that all black jersey would be very welcome in the fall and spring months. I wouldn't be too worried about it, Dortmund has black kits too, and they seem fine.

Archived