Canadian Premier League

ted

On 18/04/2016 at 9:44 PM, Insigne24 said:

Hello I am new to this forum and I found this thread the most exciting because of the proposal of a Canadian League. Just wondering, but what happened to the CSL and is there any chance that this new Canadian Premier League could use some of those CSL teams down the line? For the longest time I always thought the CSL was our professional league.

The CSL was a regional league that was de-sanctioned by the CSA on the heels of a international match fixing scandal. It has subsequently become a rogue league and been replaced by League 1 Ontarioin the eyes of the OSA and CSA. 

None of these teams have the resources to move up to the proposed CPL. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most recent incarnation of the CSL is not the same as the CSL you may be remembering from 1987-1992. This CSL was a nationwide professional league.

The current CSL is not that same league whatsoever, it was de-sanctioned by the CSA a few years back -apparently without regard for the match fixing allegations- and more recently under the scrutiny of the RCMP and ICSS for another set match fixing allegations. This CSL only has teams in Ontario currently, and they are losing teams every year in recent times.

One team from the CSL has made the transition to L1O (Kingston) which is the new D3 regional league for Ontario. It is unclear whether anymore will do the same or even if they are able to at this point in time.

Essentially, the CSL we have today is not a part of the current pyramid that the CSA is building, and it is hurting semi-pro soccer by taking away from the local player pool, occupying viable markets for L1O and by borrowing a name to confuse people about who/what they are. 

Someone posted this 

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSAWinnipeg/status/705162960314855425

To the CPL subreddit. I'm doubtful it's really indicative of anything other than a bored media intern or something, as it's been up for a while and I assume they'd want to keep it hushed if they were leading up to an announcement, but it could be something. It appears to be WSA Winnipeg's actual twitter account

Edit: Scratch that, it's a blog post from a WSA media person talking about what they'd like to see. So it doesn't mean much, other than maybe the idea of CPL is being tossed around by the types running PDL teams, which isn't surprising 

7 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Someone posted this 

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSAWinnipeg/status/705162960314855425

To the CPL subreddit. I'm doubtful it's really indicative of anything other than a bored media intern or something, as it's been up for a while and I assume they'd want to keep it hushed if they were leading up to an announcement, but it could be something. It appears to be WSA Winnipeg's actual twitter account

Edit: Scratch that, it's a blog post from a WSA media person talking about what they'd like to see. So it doesn't mean much, other than maybe the idea of CPL is being tossed around by the types running PDL teams, which isn't surprising 

It's actually a blog post by Eduardo Badescu, A UEFA Pro licenced coach who owns and runs the World Soccer Academy in Winnipeg (WSA Winnipeg). The fact he wrote this is probably evidence they have no connection with anyone looking to launch the CPL in that city, if that ever becomes a thing. 

On 4/14/2016 at 3:23 PM, nolbertos said:

I think if Montagliani wins CONCACAF, he might have Canada get preferential treatment.  Before Jack Warner came aboard, T & T soccer was semi pro and just disorgnaized.  When he became CONCACAF prez, he helped make it abit more professional, got Joe Public off the ground, gave T & T easy WCQ round, just look at Harts cakewalk to the Hex now, due to having an easy schedule and of course, being able to go to FIFA events and vote.  Same applies with the ex South American prez, Nicolas Leoz.  He got Paraguay favourable calls and was constantly helping the domestic league, but of course he also gave Argentina and Brasil what they want, which is to say Victor would still jump hoops for Mexico and USA.  It's be good if Victor can make Canada a heavyweight in FIFA politics, but like politicians, he needs a lot of campaign money and buying votes.  Just because Jack Warner was ousted doesn't mean CONCACAF is clean.

Vote Mont Vic to make sure he can fix things in Canada's favour. This is politics at work, people!

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Before anyone gets excited:

...The logistics of the league have not been decided yet, as we don’t know how many teams there will be or if it will be its own league or a division of the North American Soccer League (NASL)...

I think it seems pretty clear at this point that it won't be part of NASL.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Before anyone gets excited:

...The logistics of the league have not been decided yet, as we don’t know how many teams there will be or if it will be its own league or a division of the North American Soccer League (NASL)...

After all the years of suffering let us be exited for awhile.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This better?

(It starts at about 13:30 of this link if anyone's looking for it - only about a minute long)

I don't know if he misspoke, but he kind of made it sound like they're just starting to put together the specifics of the business plan...  That kind of seems like a very early thing that I thought they would've done by now...

5 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

(It starts at about 13:30 of this link if anyone's looking for it - only about a minute long)

I don't know if he misspoke, but he kind of made it sound like they're just starting to put together the specifics of the business plan...  That kind of seems like a very early thing that I thought they would've done by now...

Anyways you put it, it's still a hard sell...I get why it's taking a long time. Best to do your homeworks and cover all the bases. Earlier years will be the hardest.

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. This takes a lot of time, an lot of effort, a lot of stake holders from across the country who also have work on other franchises to do. Everyone took that one article in the Spec as confirmation that this was all but a done deal and that we'd be starting play next year, which is unlikely. There's more to it.

Think people need to bear in mind that Victor Montagliani made having a domestic pro league central to his stated motivation for gaining the CSA presidency. I believe his post is up for reelection at next month's AGM, so a perception of concrete activity in this regard needs to be viewed as possibly being motivated by that context. Then there is the whole 2026 World Cup bid angle and the probable need to have some kind of league in the pipeline to counter one of the obvious angles of attack from opposing bids. If it were anywhere close to actually happening there would be rumours and media stories from a lot more cities than just Hamilton.

Archived