Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't watch Walking Dead, but a person needs some sort of context to go along with the spoiler warning. Maybe Ansem just wanted the thread to die, and thought a context free spoiler warning would get people to never look beyond the spoiler warning in this thread ever again.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

So seems NASL uses a luxury tax.....would you guys prefer that to a salary cap?

NO! I prefer a salary cap instead. The reason why the NASL has introduced this is in order to save the league from any other disastrous embarassments from last year.

Canadian swan song players and veterans

Just for fun, a list of players who could still contribute and would join for their swan song and others who will be veterans with a few years left. With them, marquee players and youngsters who will learn from them, quality will be high.

Age in 2019

Occean 38
Hutchinson 36
Hume 36
Nakajima 35
Stamatopoulos 40
Borjan 32
Monsalve 31
Ledgerwood 34
Jakovic 34
Hainault 33
Bekker 29
M. Trafford 33
Attakora 30
Straith 29
Vitoria 32
Ricketts 32
Haber 30
C. Trafford 27
Dixon 30
Haworth 30
Al-Shaibani 35
Wassey 31
DeBellis 28
Porter 29
Pridham 29
Morgan 28
Edward 31
Farago 28

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Just for fun, a list of players who could still contribute and would join for their swan song and others who will be veterans with a few years left. With them, marquee players and youngsters who will learn from them, quality will be high.

Age in 2019

Occean 38
Hutchinson 36
Hume 36
Nakajima 35
Stamatopoulos 40
Borjan 32
Monsalve 31
Ledgerwood 34
Jakovic 34
Hainault 33
Bekker 29
M. Trafford 33
Attakora 30
Straith 29
Vitoria 32
Ricketts 32
Haber 30
C. Trafford 27
Dixon 30
Haworth 30
Al-Shaibani 35
Wassey 31
DeBellis 28
Porter 29
Pridham 29
Morgan 28
Edward 31
Farago 28

What about Adrian Cann? The last I heard is that he was playing in the unsanctioned Canadian Soccer League for Scarborough SC. Do you think his level of play has gone down through the years?

13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

and he played for Canada beach soccer.

Whatever happened to him and why did he go down as a player. I do recall that back in 2014, he was awarded player of the year for the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL, that's when they were crowned NASL champs. He had lots going for him, then suddenly he dropped from the face of the Earth.

#4AdrianCann.jpg

Just now, PJSweet said:

Whatever happened to him and why did he go down as a player. I do recall that back in 2014, he was awarded player of the year for the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL when they were crowned champions. He had lots going for him.

I'll assume he got older...and at the time, wasn't worth an international slot. OR he wanted to be with his family in Toronto?? But everybody knows what happens when you ass|u|me :)

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Age in 2019

Occean 38
Hutchinson 36
Hume 36
Nakajima 35
Stamatopoulos 40
Borjan 32
Monsalve 31
Ledgerwood 34
Jakovic 34
Hainault 33
Bekker 29
M. Trafford 33
Attakora 30
Straith 29
Vitoria 32
Ricketts 32
Haber 30
C. Trafford 27
Dixon 30
Haworth 30
Al-Shaibani 35
Wassey 31
DeBellis 28
Porter 29
Pridham 29
Morgan 28
Edward 31
Farago 28

No Simeon Jackson? I'd pick him over many that you've listed here and would like to avoid a lot of the over 33 guys. There are younger, more relevant players to Canada that will be open for a 2018 or 19 season like Manjrekar James, Samuel Piette, Maxim Tissot and Luca Gasparotto.

Of your list I would take....
Hutchinson, Borjan, Hainault, Bekker, M. Trafford, Attakora, Straith, Ricketts, Haber, C. Trafford, Morgan, Ledgerwood

1 hour ago, matty said:

So seems NASL uses a luxury tax.....would you guys prefer that to a salary cap?

Luxury tax....because life is too short and I selfishly want to see a billionaire oligarch plant a team in Toronto with a 40 million plus salary and go all As Monaco on this league. :D 

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

This is not a list of everyone who must be taken or who is better than who, just a list as title says.

The title is kind of off as it includes like a dozen dudes who are gonna be 30 and under. Those guys are like 5 or 8 years away from their Swan Songs and could still move elsewhere with a good CPL run

5 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Swan song and veterans who have a few years left

I would not say 5+ seasons is a few years. Anyone you listed that's that's 30 and under is either a long term player or someone maybe using the CPL as a way to get minutes while they look for something else. Anyways my point isn't picking a bone with your list's title but the players on it and it's not a criticism of you. There are a number of young guys in the national team picture who are looking for gigs in mid level Euro leagues and lower US levels that need this more that could probably give the league a better level of play than half the guys listed.

I hope we do friendlies instead of an "all-star game". Having your whole league beat year after year against a single team who's using the game to get back into shape is just bad optics to me.

Sure have Swansea beat any CPL teams but for Swansea to beat CPL all-stars isn't smart at all.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I hope we do friendlies instead of an "all-star game". Having your whole league beat year after year against a single team who's using the game to get back into shape is just bad optics to me.

Sure have Swansea beat any CPL teams but for Swansea to beat CPL all-stars isn't smart at all.

Oh we should totally avoid all star games. They're stupid in soccer.

Like arrange two city tours for mid level clubs from england, italy, spain and germany. They'll draw and won't cost you all your money and they'll like getting exposure across a major country.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

See, when I read just the first sentence I assumed you meant an east-vs-west ASG, and thought "what's the matter with that?"

I've been thinking about the info coming out of Halifax and I believe we must be missing something. The type of players Paul Beirne is talking about getting (first and second division players) are probably too expensive to get with number of fans that Halifax are talking about needing. I'm thinking they must have either a TV deal worked out, or, more likely a league wide kit deal similar to MLS. I don't think anyone would be willing to pay much right away for a TV deal so the kit deal makes more sense to me. In 2005, before the Beckham era MLS signed a 10 year/$150 million deal with Adidas. That is $15 million per year. MLs had 12 teams at the time and had no new teams the next year, so there was a little over $1 million per team. The feeling is the CPL will start with 6 teams but with expansion teams ready to go for the next year. Could the CPL have a kit deal in the works worth a million per team? That would make up the extra money that seems to be missing to sign the types of players theyre talking about getting. 

edit: before anyone gets upset, yes I know we have no way of knowing for sure we will start with 6 teams and have expansion teams ready for the next year. I'm just going off of rumors and trying to make some sense of things. Don't get butthurt about this for some reason, we're just having some fun. 

Light news out of Bermuda http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170404/concacaf-president-wants-unifying-force

......There could soon be another avenue for players from Bermuda and the Caribbean to further their development, with the Fifa-sanctioned professional Canadian Premier League expected to start next year.

For Montagliana, it is another example of how the Concacaf countries can work together for the benefit of all.

“Obviously the focus will be on trying to develop Canadian players but not every player will be Canadian,” he said. “I think there will be an element that will look at the Concacaf player and give him an opportunity to come into the league.

“I think that’s a positive going forward.”

Also this which I didn't see posted yet http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7219974-cpl-in-2018-a-viable-option-mitchell/

Highlights

....But, in regard to a 2018 start, Mitchell did tell The Spectator this week: "I think it's a viable option. The project certainly has very significant momentum with a lot of significant tailwinds."....

It appears that at least six CPL teams — in Hamilton, Edmonton (currently in the NASL), Ottawa (USL), Winnipeg, Regina and, most noteworthy, Halifax — could be ready to go next year. Respected soccer websites such as Waking the Red are treating that central half-dozen as very real.

Anthony Totero has reported on his Red Card soccer show that a top British team is considering investing in the new league. Plus there have been unconfirmed rumours of interest from Chinese capital....

Archived