Canadian Premier League

ted

2 minutes ago, matty said:

It appears that at least six CPL teams — in Hamilton, Edmonton (currently in the NASL), Ottawa (USL), Winnipeg, Regina and, most noteworthy, Halifax — could be ready to go next year. Respected soccer websites such as Waking the Red are treating that central half-dozen as very real.

Obviously important to note that those teams are almost certainly drawn from heresay (i.e. Waking the Red, other journalists and sites as well as ourselves) and not an actual CSA or other inside source. Although Hamilton and Halifax are basically givens at this point, of course.

21 minutes ago, matty said:

Light news out of Bermuda http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170404/concacaf-president-wants-unifying-force

......There could soon be another avenue for players from Bermuda and the Caribbean to further their development, with the Fifa-sanctioned professional Canadian Premier League expected to start next year.

For Montagliana, it is another example of how the Concacaf countries can work together for the benefit of all.

“Obviously the focus will be on trying to develop Canadian players but not every player will be Canadian,” he said. “I think there will be an element that will look at the Concacaf player and give him an opportunity to come into the league.

“I think that’s a positive going forward.”

The league will obviously be quite big for the federation for a number of reasons, and more opportunities for Caribbean and Central American players is certainly part of it. I don't think we should underestimate how much CONCACAF genuinely wants this to happen too.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Zem said:

Obviously important to note that those teams are almost certainly drawn from heresay (i.e. Waking the Red, other journalists and sites as well as ourselves) and not an actual CSA or other inside source. Although Hamilton and Halifax are basically givens at this point, of course.

The league will obviously be quite big for the federation for a number of reasons, and more opportunities for Caribbean and Central American players is certainly part of it. I don't think we should underestimate how much CONCACAF genuinely wants this to happen too.

I fully agree on both points.

The team list def comes from the Halifax Docs and the adding of FCE and OFFC is highly questionable. Mostly posted it because it's a mainstream source going with the story and also the part about the Chinese capital was interesting to me. Haven't seen that anywhere before.

The league is going to be the biggest development in CONCACAF for a while. The confederation should be totally stoked and it's great to see non-Canadian outlets covering the story and giving their readers a reason to be excited for it.

2 hours ago, masster said:

Couple of weeks? The Halifax meeting was 5 days ago!

Yeah I know I'm getting greedy now, but the week or two before the meeting was filled with new things coming out it seemed like. It was all capped off by the Halifax meeting and then the stories about it in the news the next day. I guess it was kind of like they gave me a free sample of their CPL meth and now I'm going crazy for more.

4 hours ago, Zem said:

Obviously important to note that those teams are almost certainly drawn from heresay (i.e. Waking the Red, other journalists and sites as well as ourselves) and not an actual CSA or other inside source...

Even the latter are providing contradictory information according to Steven Sandor, so anything beyond Hamilton and Halifax should be taken with a pinch of salt.

9 hours ago, matty said:

That article also mentions that Niagara won the hosting duties for the Canada games in 2021, which hurts KW's chances of getting a stadium that they could use for the CPL.

Hopefully some day, whether it's early on or years down the road, KW can follow Halifax's lead and build something themselves.

18 hours ago, matty said:

Oh we should totally avoid all star games. They're stupid in soccer.

Like arrange two city tours for mid level clubs from england, italy, spain and germany. They'll draw and won't cost you all your money and they'll like getting exposure across a major country.

I fully agree.If you lose, you just proved that your best fail to compare to a single club over the pond, if you squeak by at best you've shown your entire league is equivalent to a single club, and if somehow you manage to blowout a major team, you've just proven you can meet expectations. The only thing these all-star games bring, is that people who are fans of teams across the pond can come out and see the team they like, but even that often isn't the case, because they usually field a B-Team (and still clean house).

Conversely, don't do traditional all-star games either, unless you are making them mandatory for players to play in when selected and money is on the line so players don't phone it in.

If you want to have a big event, have a neutral site friendly between two clubs. Don't involve your clubs, unless your club has a competitive chance.

I am not sure everyone views all star games quite that critically.  Most people recognize that it isn't that telling to take a group of talented individuals that never play together and put them up against a team that works together constantly - where in pre-season form or not.  Throw in the fact that people on both sides are trying to avoid getting injured in a game that doesn't really matter, and I suspect that most people see them for what they are - a bit of a spectacle that doesn't really matter.

I would also note that in 2012, the MLS all-stars beat Chelsea, in 2014 they beat Bayern, and in 2015 they beat Arsenal.  All just to say that these games have not been an embarrassment to MLS on the basis of results. 

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure everyone views all star games quite that critically.  Most people recognize that it isn't that telling to take a group of talented individuals that never play together and put them up against a team that works together constantly - where in pre-season form or not.  Throw in the fact that people on both sides are trying to avoid getting injured in a game that doesn't really matter, and I suspect that most people see them for what they are - a bit of a spectacle that doesn't really matter.

I would also note that in 2012, the MLS all-stars beat Chelsea, in 2014 they beat Bayern, and in 2015 they beat Arsenal.  All just to say that these games have not been an embarrassment to MLS on the basis of results. 

I'd rather an all-star game be east vs west or canada vs world. The big game all-star games do make a lot of money but they also cost a ton. Hosting touring teams would be better.

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guarantee that despite what they say, those clubs don't take these games seriously, more so as practice to get back players into shape and check out new ones.

If these games mattered and were in the heart of a UEFA season, MLS would get destroyed

All I am saying the actual results don't support the idea that the constant shit-kicking of MLS is embarassing to the league.

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

Having your whole league beat year after year against a single team who's using the game to get back into shape is just bad optics to me.

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

All I am saying the actual results don't support the idea that the constant shit-kicking of MLS is embarassing to the league.

Not domestically as Americans are usually in their own bubble but in Europe? yeah, they find the whole thing hilarious

I am not sure what your point is.  You stated that MLS's regular ass whooping was embarrassing to the league.  I pointed out that wasn't the case because we have won many of those games, including a trio against pretty respected teams.  Thus I am not sure what Europeans find hilarious - losing to MLS or the fact that we even hold those games.  Regardless, I have never placed too much currency on the idea that we need to emulate Europe because Europe. 

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

Vocal Minority podcast has the first part of the Bill Manning interview up.  I haven't listened yet but write up doesn't list CPL as a topic.  I'll check it out this morning and update when I'm done.

http://vocalminority.ca/episode-180-an-evening-with-bill-manning-part-one-170406-whiteboy/

No CPL talk.  Good interview and he's pretty candid.  Best parts are talk about Voyageurs Cup, the CCL and supporter culture.  Part two is up soon they said at the end of the pod.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And speaking of the CCL - tune in tonight for VWC's improbable victory!

It will be epic... or more of the usual shite.

Either way there will be a gathering at the Yates St Taphouse in Victoria to watch tonight.

7 hours ago, matty said:

I'd rather an all-star game be east vs west or canada vs world. The big game all-star games do make a lot of money but they also cost a ton. Hosting touring teams would be better.

I wouldn't mind that.  I mean if it makes money for the league out of the gate, then I'm all for it.  It's gonna need any cash-cows it can find.

http://vocalminority.ca/episode-181-an-evening-with-bill-manning-part-two-170406-jasonstatham/

Bill Manning: "My original thought...was a Canadian division of USL"

BBTB = Manning confirmed

;)

But seriously, some interesting some stuff. One interesting thing is that Manning said he was interested in affiliating with a team in CPL if/when they are fully blocked from CPL

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

http://vocalminority.ca/episode-181-an-evening-with-bill-manning-part-two-170406-jasonstatham/

Bill Manning: "My original thought...was a Canadian division of USL"

BBTB = Manning confirmed

;)

But seriously, some interesting some stuff. One interesting thing is that Manning said he was interested in affiliating with a team in CPL if/when they are fully blocked from CPL

CPL talk is around the 17'th minute mark. Most of his reasoning is non-sense and bull shit. Just as an example, he thinks an indie Toronto team would draw 2000 fans while TFC 2 could draw 5000 plus in the CPL.

One thing was interesting. When the girl said "I don't think a Toronto CPL team expects 20000 people..." Bill then said "Depends who you talk to..."

Archived