Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Thought the most interesting snippets were the references to CFL owners being involved, which implies at least one more group beyond Hamilton (Calgary being the prime suspects as they are not under community ownership and have no MLS team to compete with) and the bit about how John Pugh of the Ottawa Fury is not sure about it, which suggests that the minimum of one extra CFL group probably isn't Ottawa.

Really? I mean BBTB, we have been saying for like, over a year the CFL owners are involved. Have been since the very beginning. This is confirmation of basically everything reported.

I think he is off base on John Pugh though. John has reservations but is also very much part of plans. From what we know. 

I suspect he knows John Pugh considerably better than you do and may even genuinely be on a first name basis with him. I doubt he would have said something like that publicly on a podcast if the reservations were not significant ones, because why effectively put words into somebody else's mouth otherwise? That part was a bit jarring. Beyond that do you remember that Bill Manning claimed to be in the dark about who the owners involved with CPL were as recently as a couple of months ago in a Toronto Sun article? That's what made the CFL owners bit mildly noteworthy.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I suspect he knows John Pugh considerably better than you do and may even genuinely be on a first name basis with him. I doubt he would have said something like that publicly on a podcast if the reservations were not significant ones, because why effectively put words into somebody else's mouth otherwise? That part was a bit jarring. Beyond that do you remember that Bill Manning claimed to be in the dark about who the owners involved with CPL were as recently as a couple of months ago in a Toronto Sun article? That's what made the CFL owners bit mildly noteworthy.

Oh definitely. Also, we know that Paul looks at these boards and, guess what!, Paul was and is deeply involved with TFC. He knows Bill Manning. At the Halifax meeting he called him a friend. A FRIEND. 

Even when you get confirmation that Duane and others are telling the truth, you find some way to twist it around into your own fantastical story.

MLSE knows full well what is going on with league. Bill Manning certainly does as well. He might have said he is in the dark because he doesn't know the absolute specifics. He might have been using that terminology to make a point and influence others, but it wasn't like the idea of a team in Toronto playing in a new Canadian league was bewildering new to him.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I have absolutely no idea why I am supposed to be surprised that Paul Beirne (who I met several times back when he was a TFC  employee) and Bill Manning would describe each other as friends and what my own fantastical story is supposed, so why don't we listen to some 1960s East German pop music.

Maybe it's your writing style. But you take any news and confirmations that Duane has been right about the league and basically spin it as "which suggests that the minimum of one extra CFL group probably isn't Ottawa." Yeah mate, we have been saying 6 CFL groups since like... 2016? Yet you still are seemingly so skeptical.

"I seriously doubt this is happening in 2018". It is. Get used to it.

"Also found the stuff about Montagliani's motivation being somewhat different from that of the CFL owners interesting because although it has looked that way reading between the lines from the outside." I believe it was Duane Rollins (again) who suggested that the CFL is concerned with having too many Canadians required due to their experiences with the CFL and Montagliani wants a lot more. But again, you don't seem to believe him as someone who might know what is going on so you'll just dismiss that.

The way you write as well seems highly antagonistic. I am glad you gave up on your blog. 

Whatever, if you don't like my posts you can always use the ignore function. Steven Sandor has told us that inside sources have been telling him contradictory things, so how could anyone reasonably ask awkward questions about any of this and view things with a healthy degree of skepticism? It's not like Canadian soccer has a track record of fledgling soccer leagues with sky high rhetoric and expectations either failing to actually materialize or crashing and burning six months in or anything like that.

19 minutes ago, Rheo said:

And because it's happened before, it'll happen again.  Help us USA you're our only hope (insert Princess Leia hologram)  We get it...

That's a strawman rather than what I have written, so no you don't get it. If this CPL thing is such a slam dunk to succeed why are Edmonton not on board when their existing league is still effectively on life support and why would Ottawa have "reservations"? The obvious problem is that the three major markets catering in pro sports terms to about half the overall population are already taken by a USSF-sanctioned D1 league that is moving from strength to strength at the moment and isn't going to go away, so this domestic pro league plan is happening about 15 years too late to work the way it potentially might have if there was a clean slate to work with.

I do get it, just going for some humour through exaggeration.  We all know your arguments and issues.  We've read them for 338 pages and probably hundreds of posts.  

I'm not going to argue with you.  I've said my points numerous times and you usually tend to ignore them because it doesn't fit your narrative or you don't have any way to refute them. 

I've never once said the league is a slam dunk.  However I am open minded and willing to give it a chance.  I'm sorry you're so scarred from failed leagues of old.

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Any idea if the people behind the Wolfpack like football as well as rugby league? They seem to be doing a good running the Wolfpack so far and are already at Lamport. 

They're a secret group of rich Canadians and Aussies who made their cash in natural resources. Other than that nothing is know http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/28/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-league-team-wont-divulge-its-ownership

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Steven Sandor has told us that inside sources have been telling him contradictory things, so how could anyone reasonably ask awkward questions about any of this and view things with a healthy degree of skepticism? 

as much as I like Sandor, I tend to take his stuff with a little grain of salt as well.  He is the kurtis larsson of edmonton, IMO.

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

as much as I like Sandor, I tend to take his stuff with a little grain of salt as well.  He is the kurtis larsson of edmonton, IMO.

Watch it.  He's A JOURNALIST.  His word is nothing but truth unlike bloggers and podcasters :)

22 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Watch it.  He's A JOURNALIST.  His word is nothing but truth unlike bloggers and podcasters :)

Does this really need to be explained? The difference between a journalist and a blogger/podcaster is that they need to get two independent sources before their professional ethics will allow them to publish a story as fact, so you won't be seeing something like:

Boom, moments ago a source just told me that the Halifax team is going to be called the Genetic Bottlenecks and will be wearing Nova Scotia tartan coloured jerseys #CanPL

from a mainstream media outlet. The whole point of what Steve Sandor was saying is that as a professional journalist he can't pursue the CPL story too hard at this point, because inside sources have been telling him contradictory things.

Bored so going over @CanPL_FC's twitter followers to see who stands out

Paul Beirne
Octavio Zambrano
Alen Marcina
David Monslave
Tomer Chencinski
Robert Gale
SEA
Dino Rossi
Soccer Nova Scotia
Durham United FA
Graeme Ivory (director of Communications for OSEG)
Gary Miller (Ontario Soccer's Technical Director)
Jamie Umbach (does Team Communications for FC Edmonton)

I'm sure I missed a few

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Bored so going over @CanPL_FC's twitter followers to see who stands out

Paul Beirne
Octavio Zambrano
Alen Marcina
David Monslave
Tomer Chencinski
Robert Gale
SEA
Dino Rossi
Soccer Nova Scotia
Durham United FA
Graeme Ivory (director of Communications for OSEG)
Gary Miller (Ontario Soccer's Technical Director)
Jamie Umbach (does Team Communications for FC Edmonton)

I'm sure I missed a few

#fantasyleague

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Does this really need to be explained? The difference between a journalist and a blogger/podcaster is that they need to get two independent sources before their professional ethics will allow them to publish a story as fact, so you won't be seeing something like:

Boom, moments ago a source just told me that the Halifax team is going to be called the Genetic Bottlenecks and will be wearing Nova Scotia tartan coloured jerseys #CanPL

from a mainstream media outlet. The whole point of what Steve Sandor was saying is that as a professional journalist he can't pursue the CPL story too hard at this point, because inside sources have been telling him contradictory things.

Does it really need to be explained that the happy face at the end means I'm kidding and making fun of the discussions on here and the tips and leads that send this place into a tizzy?

If it does then for the record I was making fun of the discussions on here and the tips and leads that send this place into a tizzy

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

#fantasyleague

I think we're past that but I do find the fact both FCE and OFFC's communications people are following the account interesting. It's probably nothing but with some recent claims it does get the imagination going.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Tell me more, professor. 

5 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Today's Winnipeg press is already talking about a new tenant going into Investors Group Field. Who do you think that is?

Haha, yes. My friends, the wheels are in motion and the seeds are being planted so the flowers of tomorrow can blossom.

Archived