Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The whole point of what Steve Sandor was saying is that as a professional journalist he can't pursue the CPL story too hard at this point, because inside sources have been telling him contradictory things.

I'm not sure if by 'the CPL story' you mean the story of the league or the story of the Oilers/Katz being involved in owning a team in the league in Edmonton, but when Steve tweeted that out he was referring specifically to the latter and not to the CPL at large. But as I said, perhaps you actually meant that.

It was only a day or so later though when he published his story on the potential Oilers involvement, so the confusion didn't last long. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not really a fan of Duane but to quote Minor Threat, "At least I'm fuckin' trying, What the fuck have you done?'

I've supported Canadian Soccer way before you, as a fan, of CSL, USL, NASL and MLS.  Also was a local youth coach and attend MLS and Canadian soccer games when I can.  Also supported the V-cup and Cascadia Cup initiatives.  Can't say I don't support Canadian Soccer.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Does this really need to be explained? The difference between a journalist and a blogger/podcaster is that they need to get two independent sources before their professional ethics will allow them to publish a story as fact, so you won't be seeing something like:

Boom, moments ago a source just told me that the Halifax team is going to be called the Genetic Bottlenecks and will be wearing Nova Scotia tartan coloured jerseys #CanPL

from a mainstream media outlet. The whole point of what Steve Sandor was saying is that as a professional journalist he can't pursue the CPL story too hard at this point, because inside sources have been telling him contradictory things.

For the record, I like and respect both Sandor and Larsson I'm just saying they have a tendency to see things through the lens of their (essentially) sources of income.  

Can't blame em either.  

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I've supported Canadian Soccer way before you, as a fan, of CSL, USL, NASL and MLS.  Also was a local youth coach and attend MLS and Canadian soccer games when I can.  Also supported the V-cup and Cascadia Cup initiatives.  Can't say I don't support Canadian Soccer.

Fairly certain the comment to which this is a response was more of an expression than a personal attack at you.  

Might be wrong though lol 

4 hours ago, nolbertos said:

So what are your views on the Canadian Premier League? Stupid idea and a fantasy that'll never happen? Something that could be very useful and you hope it happens soon? Meh?

16 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

as much as I like Sandor, I tend to take his stuff with a little grain of salt as well.  He is the kurtis larsson of edmonton, IMO.

What have either of them reported where Canadian soccer is concerned that has subsequently turned out to be inaccurate? Compare that with the track record of podcasters and bloggers on issues like when the new domestic pro league is going to be announced (it's days away etc) and it becomes obvious who is providing something that resembles balanced accurate reporting and who is providing emotionally invested cheerleading.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What have either of them reported where Canadian soccer is concerned that has subsequently turned out to be inaccurate? Compare that with the track record of podcasters and bloggers on issues like when the new domestic pro league is going to be announced (it's days away etc) and it becomes obvious who is providing something that resembles balanced accurate reporting and who is providing emotionally invested cheerleading.

it's less about what you do report and more about what you intentionally omit honestly.  Same with the so-called "fake news"

Like I said, I like them both, I'm just pointing out that they have a bit of a slant and that it's fairly natural for them to.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A prime example of how rumours can start through a Chinese whispers type of scenario. There is nothing in the article that suggests that the Bombers are looking for a new tenant.

I mean the guy is just offering his opinion.  I don't see whats wrong with that.  I like Adam so I feel the need to defend him a little because I don't think he meant to do what you're saying.  But maybe you were more blaming the people who were interpreting the tweet incorrectly, in which case, fair enough.

He didn't actually say there was anything suggesting they were looking for a new tenant, just that he felt it highlighted that need(it's also twitter, which has the character limit, which causes all sorts of these kind of issues).  But I agree it's a case of someones opinion being extrapolated into a (supposedly) legitimate rumour.

I read an interesting article that said there are 8 groups vying for the last 4 MLS spots (to 28 teams).  Each of these groups are willing to pay $150 million US dollars.

*dreaming in hypotheticals here, so bear with me*. 

I wonder how the economics of the CanPL changes if a deal was struck to move our 3 MLS teams to CanPL in exchange for $150 million USD each plus the $25 million USD expansion money each would get from the move to 28 teams.

175 million USD is a lot of money and they would still be able to move Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact teams with sponsorships etc to CanPL with monopolies in their existing markets intact.

Its a thought and certainly it would bring the Premier part of the Canadian Premier League out.  It would also unify both the US and Canadian sanctioning ladders.

12 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I read an interesting article that said there are 8 groups vying for the last 4 MLS spots (to 28 teams).  Each of these groups are willing to pay $150 million US dollars.

*dreaming in hypotheticals here, so bear with me*. 

I wonder how the economics of the CanPL changes if a deal was struck to move our 3 MLS teams to CanPL in exchange for $150 million USD each plus the $25 million USD expansion money each would get from the move to 28 teams.

175 million USD is a lot of money and they would still be able to move Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact teams with sponsorships etc to CanPL with monopolies in their existing markets intact.

Its a thought and certainly it would bring the Premier part of the Canadian Premier League out.  It would also unify both the US and Canadian sanctioning ladders.

would be amazing, not sure how likely though

By the way 2016 estimated value, revenue and operating margin (in USD) for the Canadian MLS teams are:

Toronto: 245 million value, 38 million revenue, -9 million operating margin.

Montreal: 135 million value, 24 million revenue, -3 million operating margin.

Vancouver: 125 million value, 20 million revenue, -3 million operating margin.

Teams have been funded by ever increasing expansion fees up to now.  When that peaks it's not a bad time to cash out after the last big payout.  

8 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

would be amazing, not sure how likely though

My point is that after each team gets their big cash in of 25 million expansion fees next, the league revenue growth tapers off quite a bit.

Toronto bought in for 10 million, Montreal for 35 and Vancouver for 40.  A big cash out of 175 million is a great investment.

Keep in mind they would still be pulling in their gate and sponsorship revenues plus new CanPL sponsorship revenue (which are obviously bigger with them included).

Maybe revenues drop by 10 million each and a corresponding 60 million decrease in valuation.  But with 175 cash in the bank that's not a terrible deal.

I think the case is more compelling than you think.

*edit* for the 6:1 revenue to valuation that Forbes seems to be using*

Archived