Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, matty said:

So Halifax, do we move it to our list of confirmed locations along with Hamilton?

Launch Teams
Confirmed: Hamilton
Pushing for It: Halifax
Increadibly, Heavily, Massively Rumoured: Regina, Winnipeg, Calgary
Can't Ignore the Likeliness: Toronto/GTA

Expansions
If they wanna: Ottawa, Edmonton
50/50: Victoria, Quebec City
Dark Horses: Vancouver, Montreal
Long Shots: KW, London, Moncton, St. John's

That's 16 like the CSA "wants" eventually

I'd move KW well out of the "long-shot" category ;)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I'd move KW well out of the "long-shot" category ;)

I think London, KW and other Ontario clubs make a ton of sense in order to save on travelling expenses.

As someone who lived in Halifax for 25 years, I don't believe there is a chance in hell of them landing and properly supporting a club.

Landing a team right now means having a decently funded ownership group and a place to play. Halifax seems to have the first and is working on the second. 

As far as support, what else is there to do in Halifax during the summer?

*disclaimer: I've never been to the Maritimes. 

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

lol oh right, I dunno why I forgot about u guys.  my bad.

I'm just saying I don't think it's unreasonable to think that seeing organized SGs helps win over potential owners at least somewhat.

I don't think having established supporters groups matters in the slightest to potential owners. Having supporters groups of a few dozens (and I think that would be a very generous number for any of the established supporters groups) really affect the bottom line to an owner who would be spending millions a year. Thinking otherwise is incredibly naive.

I have a solution that I think warrants some attention. Each MLS team assigns 8 players (USL roster) as loanees. Each CPL team is then assigned a loanee for the duration of the season, thus in a league with 8 teams, they would have 3 players on a season long loan from MLS. Additionally, the MLS teams can also have 4 reserve players(MLS roster) at a time out on a limited number of short term loans, the number and the duration of which would be negotiated as an agreement between the MLS teams and the CPL. This agreement would be reviewed every 5 years.

The proposition gives the CPL access to quality players, and none of the teams are reserve teams by definition as all agreements are loan agreements between MLS and CPL. The Canadian MLS clubs get the benefit of not having to waste money on the USL. The players are provided with a higher level of competition to play with. It's a win-win-win!

Just now, shermanator said:

I don't think having established supporters groups matters in the slightest to potential owners. Having supporters groups of a few dozens (and I think that would be a very generous number for any of the established supporters groups) really affect the bottom line to an owner who would be spending millions a year. Thinking otherwise is incredibly naive.

from a monetary sense, sure.  Not arguing there.  But you don't think it has any affect on gameday experience and hence the likelihood of the franchise being successful?  I'm not saying it's the be all end all, but it's another box I would be looking to check off as a diligent owner.  To say that it's a complete non-factor seems just as naive to me as the reverse.  But I guess neither of us are potential owners so is there really any way of settling this argument?

2 minutes ago, zen said:

I have a solution that I think warrants some attention. Each MLS team assigns 8 players (USL roster) as loanees. Each CPL team is then assigned a loanee for the duration of the season, thus in a league with 8 teams, they would have 3 players on a season long loan from MLS. Additionally, the MLS teams can also have 4 reserve players(MLS roster) at a time out on a limited number of short term loans, the number and the duration of which would be negotiated as an agreement between the MLS teams and the CPL. This agreement would be reviewed every 5 years.

The proposition gives the CPL access to quality players, and none of the teams are reserve teams by definition as all agreements are loan agreements between MLS and CPL. The Canadian MLS clubs get the benefit of not having to waste money on the USL. The players are provided with a higher level of competition to play with. It's a win-win-win!

I like it but I feel like MLS wants their players playing together.  Or did I misunderstand your comment?

11 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I like it but I feel like MLS wants their players playing together.  Or did I misunderstand your comment?

No you didn't, and I have the same feeling, but there has to be a compromise somewhere. I think this is the best possible outcome for all parties. TFC II has been a failure as a team for spectators. I don't see them ever being able to have 5000+ fans, after all it's a reserve team, and I don't think that's acceptable for what the CPL should be. More over, the team has to be competitive on opening day and 10 years from opening day when the quality has risen, TFC II isn't even competitive as a USL team because it's full of kids.

Just now, zen said:

No you didn't, and I have the same feeling, but there has to be a compromise somewhere. I think this is the best possible outcome for all parties. TFC II has been a failure as a spectators teams. I don't see them being able to have 5000+ fans ever for a reserve team, and I don't think that's acceptable for what the CPL should be. More over, the team has to be competitive on opening day and 10 years from opening day when the quality has risen, TFC II isn't even competitive as a USL team because it's full of kids.

alright, then Guillermo approves.  great idea.  compromise FTW! :P

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Landing a team right now means having a decently funded ownership group and a place to play. Halifax seems to have the first and is working on the second. 

As far as support, what else is there to do in Halifax during the summer?

*disclaimer: I've never been to the Maritimes. 

Halifax has been trying to build a stadium forever to attract a CFL team. It is NIMBY central.

Nova Scotia as we know, is an extremely poor Province. They've been fighting with the teachers over the last year, very tough contract negations, not willing to budge.

Where is the money for a stadium going to come from? 

What is there to do in Halifax in the summer? The same as anywhere in Canada  go to the cottage or the beach.

The Halifax Hurricanes of the NBL won the NBL championship last year. They averaged around 1000 fans. That's right, only 1000.

Sadly in Halifax, if it isn't hockey, people won't show up.

8 minutes ago, Alex D said:

A temporary stadium is being built and paid for by the ownership group. Its converting that into a long term solution which will be key. 

As for whether or not this team will draw, I have no clue. I hope for the best. 

Always been curious. What's wrong with using Huskies Stadium while you build a proper stadium?

4 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Halifax has been trying to build a stadium forever to attract a CFL team. It is NIMBY central.

Nova Scotia as we know, is an extremely poor Province. They've been fighting with the teachers over the last year, very tough contract negations, not willing to budge.

What is there to do in Halifax in the summer? The same as anywhere in Canada  go to the cottage or the beach.

The Halifax Hurricanes of the NBL won the NBL championship last year. They averaged around 1000 fans. That's right, only 1000.

Just a few points:

1) Halifax has never been trying to build a stadium for the CFL. The idea has been floated several times over the last decade but was never really seriously considered. I don't think Halifax is a top priority for the CFL and im not sure there is an investor base in Halifax willing to take on the CFL.

2) The Hurricanes drew between 1000-2000 fans a game and I hear they are doing about 2000 this year. Remember the team went bankrupt 2 years ago and forfeited the league championship game. No offense to the NBL but any league that has a team forfeit the Championship game due to 'security concerns' is going to get a bad rep. Also the pricing was pretty poor last year with adult tickets priced at 20$ a piece. This year I think thy are 17$ (still a little high by my estimation) and I think the increased support should be there. If they average 2000-2500 I think thats pretty good for NBL.

Its also worth mentioning there is a time a few years back when the Hurricanes used to draw 4000 fans a night.

3) There is not major outdoor sports team in Halifax so a professional soccer team would be the top sporting draw and these nice summer nights.

4) SEA (the group spearheading the ownership group) has said they they will be privately paying for a stadium to start out. Their idea is to set up a temporary 8000 seat stadium at the cost of a couple million dollars to see if the team takes off. 

5) Yes the government and teachers union are in contract negotiations. Government and public sector unions bicker and negotiate everywhere in Canada - I have no idea what this has to do with a soccer club being successful.  lol

My feeling is that if the tickets are priced and marketed properly soccer can be a success in Halifax. Nobody originally thought a team in the 'Quebec Junior League' would take off but it has been a smashing success with some seasons drawing over 8000 a game. SEA has put on some pretty successful events in Atlantic Canada over the years so im confident they will have every chance to make this a success in Halifax.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Always been curious. What's wrong with using Huskies Stadium while you build a proper stadium?

I'm not entirely familiar with this stadium but from a Google map search it is further away from downtown (albiet only slightly), has a running track and possibly permanent Football lines? 

I can see the reasoning behind building a small intimate stadium. And if S.E.A. feels like footing the bill why stop them?

8 minutes ago, matty said:

I thought they tore that down?   lol

I dont think that would work - last time I watched a football game there was like 8 years ago and it was falling apart. Plus the ownership group here seems to be committed to building a temp stadium. Its part of their plan.

10 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Q: What must be done to meet any CPL entry deadline?

A: “To be ready to go for a spring launch in 2018 we’d need to have a team confirmed and a site confirmed by April 2017. We need one year (to prepare).”

^ This timeline is interesting from the Halifax article.

I agree also what gets announced first Halifax City FC or the CPL

35 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Q: What must be done to meet any CPL entry deadline?

A: “To be ready to go for a spring launch in 2018 we’d need to have a team confirmed and a site confirmed by April 2017. We need one year (to prepare).”

^ This timeline is interesting from the Halifax article.

Also that they should have an announcement in February if they are going forward... hope that means they have the necessary investment lined up otherwise that's an awfully close deadline. Hope to see them eventually, definitely not expecting to see 2018 if they are still working on it

5 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

lol oh right, I dunno why I forgot about u guys.  my bad.

I'm just saying I don't think it's unreasonable to think that seeing organized SGs helps win over potential owners at least somewhat.

I think seeing enthusiasm is encouraging but unlikely to push the needle on spending millions of dollars. 

I wouldn't worry though. Getting dozens of people out to organized events for teams in a league that doesn't exist in nothing short of a miracle. Once the league is announced I expect to see numbers swell by an order of magnitude 

But it's something to be proud of. It is something that does not happen without the Voyageurs. A key part of the membership stood up and provided the nucleation site for fan culture to take hold, and it is primed to give CPL a very warm welcome. The job isn't done, but you guys should be proud of yourselves

11 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You also seem determined to have an argument. 

Someone citing your previous posts to contradict your viewpoints is not someone who's "determined to have an argument" with you. They're just cutting apart the argument  you made previously. 

However, every time someone calls out your hypocrisy, rightfully accuses you of being biased or stubborn, you just keep chugging along their soldier. Based on the posts I have seen from you, I must conclude that you have a serious mental illness. You were bullied in high school right? That's why you have an unhealthy obsession with being right, even when you know that's not the case.

3 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

NBL serves no purpose. The league, the current iteration at the very least, doesn't develop Canadian talent and it doesn't provide decent wages to be a high quality league. I'm surprised it acheives the level of support it currently gets. The planned CPL  takes care of the first issue and will slowly grow into accomplishing the second one.

Archived