Canadian Premier League

ted

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Very good. I think we'll get an insightful piece then.

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Very good. I think we'll get an insightful piece then.

He is polarizing. Not a fan favourite but I like him. Accused of being a mouth piece for TFC. Really curious to see what he has 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Rheo said:

He is polarizing. Not a fan favourite but I like him. Accused of being a mouth piece for TFC. Really curious to see what he has 

I think Larson has been seen as an extension of TFC/MLSE.  Definitely a company guy.  That being said he is a legit journalist of course with real sources.  Those sources may use him for spin but they're real.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

BREAKING CPL NEWS TOMORROW

I KNOW IT WILL BE A SUCCESS.  WANTED YOU TO HEAR IT FROM ME FIRST.

CPL news was -  Bill Manning has a meeting with the TiCats CPL guy soon and TFC still want to be involved in having a reserve team in the league.

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Kurt Larson promising CPL news tomorrow 

If I had to bet, I think it'll be about commitments. There was a semi-public "leak" that happened a while back, I would not be surprised if the info made its way back to Larson. 

To be really vague, basically there have been more than a few "commitments" (not sure if that means handshakes or something legally binding) from CFL owners, as well as from some outside that bubble. Not trying to to be a tease, but this time I covered my bases better and was told explicitly that's how vague anything public should be. 

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

I think his early stuff was coming straight from TFC (Bill Manning saying CPL should have TFC III, Larson saying it would be PDL level, complaining about the lack of inclusion of TFC). His latest article was much more neutral or even positive, which makes sense considering it was after his sit down with Montagliani 

9 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

CPL news was -  Bill Manning has a meeting with the TiCats CPL guy soon and TFC still want to be involved in having a reserve team in the league.

“I’m OK with (our possible CPL team) not being called TFC II, but it’s still going to be the same thing,” Manning said.

This meshes with Totera's oddly-specific tweet a while ago that "there won't be anyone called a B team in the league"

Article is here btw: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14/tfc-was-in-position-of-strength-at-this-years-mls-draft

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The club’s top brass will sit down in the coming weeks with Hamilton Ticats head honcho Scott Mitchell, who’s at the forefront of forming the CPL.

The bolded bit suggests nothing is happening quickly.

Alternatively, that including TFC B isn't a priority for the league, or that they're not someone they intend to have in at launch.

Though it should be said that TFC B is really the closest we've got to a second confirmed team for the league.

The whole tone of Kurt Larson's piece suggests there is skepticism over whether it will happen:

MYSTERIOUS PREMIER LEAGUE

We don’t know when or where, but we know it’s coming.

The Canadian Premier League — its unofficial name — is expected to be unveiled this year.

and I think the bit at the end actually somewhat contradicts the leaked info that Complete Homer refers to above:

“I’m OK with (our possible CPL team) not being called TFC II, but it’s still going to be the same thing,” Manning said

I agree that this is only the second publicly confirmed team, which may explain why there needs to be a meeting with the CEO of the ownership group of the first to try to reach a compromise on how to proceed.

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The club’s top brass will sit down in the coming weeks with Hamilton Ticats head honcho Scott Mitchell, who’s at the forefront of forming the CPL.

The bolded bit suggests nothing is happening quickly.

Yeah, with regards to MLSE involvement.

Make them commit to building a 10000 seater soccer stadium in London I say. That will force them to stick with such a venture.

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The whole tone of Kurt Larson's piece suggests there is skepticism over whether it will happen:

MYSTERIOUS PREMIER LEAGUE

We don’t know when or where, but we know it’s coming.

The Canadian Premier League — its unofficial name — is expected to be unveiled this year.

and I think the bit at the end actually somewhat contradicts the leaked info that Complete Homer refers to above:

“I’m OK with (our possible CPL team) not being called TFC II, but it’s still going to be the same thing,” Manning said

I agree that this is only the second publicly confirmed team, which may explain why there needs to be a meeting with the CEO of the ownership group of the first to try to reach a compromise on how to proceed.

For the record, what I leaked before can no longer be considered accurate. My understanding was that it was killed by the CPL side. Maybe TFC is revising things and making another pitch, but I can't imagine Manning is helping his case by saying "it will be the same thing as TFC II"  

Given that they have amassed a core group of owners they can launch with, I think CPL is bargaining from a stronger position than before. CPL doesn't need TFC to launch, but it still might be worth taking them on to avoid MLSE attempting a smear campaign to paint it as minor league. That said, any TFC franchise launched with the TFC President saying it's basically TFC II would do the same thing 

30 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Given that they have amassed a core group of owners they can launch with, I think CPL is bargaining from a stronger position than before. CPL doesn't need TFC to launch, but it still might be worth taking them on to avoid MLSE attempting a smear campaign to paint it as minor league. That said, any TFC franchise launched with the TFC President saying it's basically TFC II would do the same thing 

Have they? Who? Are there even rumours from other cities?

12 minutes ago, grande said:

Have they? Who? Are there even rumours from other cities?

I said this a couple pages back. Basically, someone with the league released some info semi-publicly, I asked them how much of it could be talked about openly (I wanted to do a write-up), but they said the most I could say is that there have been more than a few CFL commitments and some from outside CFL ownership groups. 

Which I realize is super vague and there's not much credibility that comes from a me, a random guy on the internet who writes blog posts for fun, so take it as you will

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Due to a lot of corruption. Nothing like that is going to happen again post-Blatter.

So naive. Why do you think they expanded the World Cup to have groups of 3?

Because that's how Infantino got the votes to be elected. There's nothing corrupt in keeping the members happy and the 24 team Euro Championship went well enough that 48 for FIFA isn't completely unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

...Given that they have amassed a core group of owners they can launch with,....

Why would they even bother to meet with TFC, if they don't need them to proceed? The key is getting enough letters of intent signed and that is what Victor Montagliani says is happening over the next few months, so they still have to translate expressions of interest into concrete action with it being the CSA that has the final say on what gets sanctioned rather than the Ticats. Think the reality is that things are not as far along as you like to think they are and the full effects of the rapprochement between MLS and the CSA have still to unfold. First Scott Mitchell visits the MLS combine and now he's meeting the TFC top brass...

44 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I said this a couple pages back. Basically, someone with the league released some info semi-publicly, I asked them how much of it could be talked about openly (I wanted to do a write-up), but they said the most I could say is that there have been more than a few CFL commitments and some from outside CFL ownership groups. 

Which I realize is super vague and there's not much credibility that comes from a me, a random guy on the internet who writes blog posts for fun, so take it as you will

What city is MLSE looking at to put this "TFC 2"?

I understand that people don't want the CPL to be seen as a reserve league, but I would want the stability that MLSE can help bring to the league. You know they have deep pockets and won't cut and run. In addition, they're ability to cross promote amongst their brands would be great.

Archived