2016 Voyageurs' Cup (Canadian Championship)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I don't think I'll be back in time for these games. Might there be a full match replay available somewhere? 

I doubt it. If you subscribe to MLS Matchday Live, you'll be able to get hte match 48 hours after the fact. TSN2 will have the replay on Thursday at 1/10 and 3/noon for Ottawa-Vancouver and Toronto-Montreal respectively.

Disappointed that the Caps Canadian USL players aren't performing well as the parent club expects of them.  The way the NASL is getting more competitive with MLS, might force more MLS clubs to bring there strongest line-up, which won't bode well for any Canadians in the USL.  Kinda disappointed how bad the Canadian players are and people think some of these players will guide us to a World Cup berth?? Sorry, I think we're at least 3 World Cups away for quality players.

Not much of a crowd in Ottawa, would of thought people would have come out in numbers playing against an MLS team, but I guess not, I guess Ottawa is a CFL town not much of a soccer town, good thing the MLS did not go into Ottawa would have been a bust, the CFL  did right by going back to Ottawa , can't see soccer lasting too much longer in Ottawa even at the NASL level.

2 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Not much of a crowd in Ottawa, would of thought people would have come out in numbers playing against an MLS team, but I guess not, I guess Ottawa is a CFL town not much of a soccer town, good thing the MLS did not go into Ottawa would have been a bust, the CFL  did right by going back to Ottawa , can't see soccer lasting too much longer in Ottawa even at the NASL level.

What is the attendance compared to league matches?

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

Look at a team like Cincinnati in the USL, averaging close to 18000 a game , there is a city that wants soccer, Ottawa a city comparable in size not even close to those numbers.

Oh come on, for second-tier soccer, Cincinnati is an outlier. The USL has TWELVE teams averaging less than 2000 per game; Ottawa's 5400 average is pretty respectable.

45 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

What is the attendance compared to league matches?

Ottawa generally gets in at around 5k per league match, which is around middle of the pack for NASL.

For comparison: Montreal has generally been pulling in 12k fans for V-Cup matches.

TFC win 4-2. Osorio (2) and Hamilton (2) for TFC and Salazar and Drogba for Montreal.

I'm really glad to see Jordan Hamilton get his chance and then take the bull by the horns and show what he can do. I have high expectations for this young man.

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

For anyone slagging Ottawa's attendance, the previously largest attendance for an NASL club in this competition was 5781, and that was with months of lead up sales. I would argue with only 2 weeks notice 9k is pretty good.

I can't argue on that.  Good on Ottawa to have at least fans there. I'm more worried about the attendance in BC next week.  Depending on who they put out.  Last year, alot of season ticket holders were pissed of the Caps putting in the C-team or USL team at the home match against Edmonton and complained, which prompted Robbo and the FO to put a strong side against Montreal in the final.  Same scenario will play out, most likely as we expect the Caps to field a stronger squad at home, so don't expect many Canadian players, barring Tiebert in the staring 11, unless the Caps say fuck it and field the USL team knowing they quit on the tournament.

I will say it now, I hope both Toronto and Ottawa go through to the final. Simply because that is a fresh new matchup that would bring a hell of an atmosphere to the finals, particularly in Ottawa.

Of course, now that I've said it, Ottawa is bound to lose in the 97th minute of the second leg.

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I will say it now, I hope both Toronto and Ottawa go through to the final. Simply because that is a fresh new matchup that would bring a hell of an atmosphere to the finals, particularly in Ottawa.

Of course, now that I've said it, Ottawa is bound to lose in the 97th minute of the second leg.

That and it would mean Torontonians would find out 1) Ottawa has a team and 2) there are other pro leagues out there besides MLS; both of which could only be good for the CPL if/when it starts.

22 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

That and it would mean Torontonians would find out 1) Ottawa has a team and 2) there are other pro leagues out there besides MLS; both of which could only be good for the CPL if/when it starts.

You make it sound like TFC has never played Edmonton or Vancouver and Mtl in their USL/NASL form before

Archived