2016 Voyageurs' Cup (Canadian Championship)

Well, so much for the June/July schedule they announced  two years ago:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-announces-move-to-new-timeframe-for-future-amway-canadian-championships-p156082

It will be played in May/June. And on a FIFA date too. :huh: So despite talks about bringing more Canadian players into action during this tournament, if Floro has a May 30th to June 7th camp (he should), there will actually be fewer Canadians for this Championship!

http://www.canadasoccer.com/2016-amway-canadian-championship-schedule-announced-p159058

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ What have you got against the Voyageur's Cup?   We paid for it. We invented the idea and every time you call it the "Canadian Championship" you are shitting on what we have done. The correct title for this thread should be something like "2016 Voyageur's Cup" or "VCup 2016" or something similar. :)

I suppose I should be thankful at least you have not used the sponsor's branding. You clearly have some standards. ;)

6 hours ago, ted said:

^ What have you got against the Voyageur's Cup?   We paid for it. We invented the idea and every time you call it the "Canadian Championship" you are shitting on what we have done. The correct title for this thread should be something like "2016 Voyageur's Cup" or "VCup 2016" or something similar. :)

I suppose I should be thankful at least you have not used the sponsor's branding. You clearly have some standards. ;)

Ya I wasn't calling it "Amway" ;) . I thought the winner of the Championship won the Voyageurs Cup. The Voyageurs Cup was the trophy we paid for and invented ( I take no personal credit - I'm too new a V); but the tournament itself was the Canadian Championship.

If this is not the case then my bad. Apologies.

• 3 months later...

Certainly looking forward to this year's Vs Cup matches. Both the Eddies and Fury seem to be feeling the beat down due to the drop in the CDN$ - it's showing ferociously in their results. Honestly can't say who I'd put money on to come out of their two-legged play-in series. Both are lacking creativity in the final third but I think the Eddies might have the edge defensively. Just because they've won the series twice in a row, I'll back the Fury simply so folks in Ottawa get a chance for their club to be knocked out by a goal from an Argentinian defensive midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2016 at 10:49 PM, adrenaline11 said:

The thing I can't get over is how the winner will play 2017 V's Cup games before they play 2017-18 Champions League games that they earned by winning the 2016 V's Cup.

It's unfortunate; but much like the US Open Cup, a champion needs to be crowned later in the year if more teams are to participate.

I prefer more clubs and a longer delay (between winning the VCup and subsequently playing in the CCL) than fewer clubs and a shorter delay.

• 2 weeks later...

Any guesses on the number of Canadians who start in this prelim leg? I'm going to put the over / under at 6.5. To me, I think OTT starts Haworth, de Jong and Eustaquio and EDM starts Ledgerwood, Edward and Shome. With an outside chance that Porter and Roberts start as well.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Any chance we see Zebie or Farago?  

Gonna say no to both.

Farago had his first action of the season in the friendly vs. Calgary Foothills. He'd been injured since March I believe.

Zebie is not hurt, as he also played in the Calgary Foothills friendly, but I think Miller just prefers the extremely mediocre duo of Johann Smith and Adam Eckersley and probably also some sort of pylon with a Rangers kit to Zebie (not saying Zebie is a pylon but that seems to be Miller's view of him).

Hmmmm, not to be a smart ass, but do the NASL clubs really want to advance.  They would get another home date (against a MLS squad) and some bragging rights...BUT do the extra games screw up their regular season.  It sure seems like TFC and VWC have been disinterested in the championship at various stages over the past 5-6 years.  Is this filtering down to the NASL clubs?

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmmm, not to be a smart ass, but do the NASL clubs really want to advance.

I can't speak for Edmonton, but I've hear from people in the Bytown Boys' SG that have spoken to people within the organisation that thye hope a match against an MLS team will draw more people to the stadium and help grow the club. They'd prefer a game vs the Impact or TFC but the Whitecaps will do just fine!

Lineups are out. I was right with 6 Canadians starting, and got 4 of the 6 right. Zebie starting at RB is right out of left field for me. De Bellis starting is a surprise too but not as much since I imagine they are slowly transitioning him towards a bigger role.

Archived