2016 Voyageurs' Cup (Canadian Championship)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Free kick said:

The Ottawa team that lost in the finals last year, would have been interesting see in V Cup this year. 

I think this Ottawa team may just starting to round into form after having to adapt to a new coach. Hopefully when De Guzman returns it will improve the team.

Not mentioned was that a Canadian with a goal, Carl Haworth, and a Canadian with an assist, De Jong.

I was not impressed with Ledgerwood in this game. He seemed to disappear.

2nd leg of this Eddies Fury tie seems nothing more than a formality at this point. Can't see the Eddies banging in 3 away in Ottawa. I could see a much closer match, maybe a 1-1 at TD Place. At this point, if you're Miller, do you put out a light squad and focus purely on the league?

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Miller is apparently going with his best lineup tonight according to this: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/05/17/fc-edmonton-using-full-arsenal-against-ottawa-fury-in-amway-canadian-championship. It's not an insurmountable task given that the Eddies won 3-1 in last year's away leg, but definitely a tough task. Maybe Diakite will pot a hat trick?

Ugh I'm actually rather upset that he's going with an all out roster. It's a tall task, the lads have had a few weeks of hell with constant matches and travel. Of course, he'll never say in the public that they're bottling the cup-tie, but I think the league is the bigger fish to fry.

22 minutes ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Ugh I'm actually rather upset that he's going with an all out roster. It's a tall task, the lads have had a few weeks of hell with constant matches and travel. Of course, he'll never say in the public that they're bottling the cup-tie, but I think the league is the bigger fish to fry.

It's a questionable choice, especially given that Miller played his strongest available lineup last week (somewhat depleted given that there were some injuries), and they lost 3-0 with a very uninspiring performance.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

It's a questionable choice, especially given that Miller played his strongest available lineup last week (somewhat depleted given that there were some injuries), and they lost 3-0 with a very uninspiring performance.

But then, with almost the same line up they beat the New York Cosmos 2-1 and it should haven 3-1 if Corea hadn't missed that sitter near the end. Any given match day almost anything can happen.

Personally, I would prefer resting most of the first squad and letting the kids and depth players have a run out. Let them loose and see what happens; sometimes a hungry squad gets more results than an experienced one.  

4 minutes ago, Sport Shaman said:

But then, with almost the same line up they beat the New York Cosmos 2-1 and it should haven 3-1 if Corea hadn't missed that sitter near the end. Any given match day almost anything can happen.

Personally, I would prefer resting most of the first squad and letting the kids and depth players have a run out. Let them loose and see what happens; sometimes a hungry squad gets more results than an experienced one.  

That's a fair point, and I agree that giving the younger players a go would be looking to prove that they can help the squad rather than those who have their starting spot locked up. Guys like Jalali, Roberts, Zebie, Farago, Shome all have something to prove..

Plus, if Miller runs out a full strength squad and the Eddies bomb in the last 3 games we have to hear about how the Voyageurs Cup screwed them over again due to the additional games. (Not referring to you, Sport Shaman, but others have made that excuse the last 2 years)

That second half was pretty intense. Found Edm was just losing all those balls they booted up field. Ottawa did a good job neutralizing them. Look forward to seeing Ottawa get a taste of the semis for first time. Will JDG be back for that?

Fury 0 Edmonton 2 , Fury advance 3-2. Fury sat back and let Edmonton come at them and they did, that saying both goals were long shots the first a very good goal, the 2nd  along free kick which went straight in after bouncing through a bunch of players untouched, 2nd half again Fury sat back and only a great sliding tackle by Timbo blocked Edwards from getting the equaliser, Fury relied on counter attacks but did not really worry the Edmonton keeper. Edmonton threw everything at the Fury defence but could'nt get the equaliser.

Fury are at home to Vancouver on June 1 at TD Place.

• 2 weeks later...

Lineups are out and 8/20 for Vancouver are Canadians with 7 being their home grown products. Adekugbe, Bustos, Carducci, Davies, Froese, McKendry, Teibert and Aird.

Nice away team to field. You could have all 8 on the field if you were so inclined as they play different positions.

Goalkeepers (2): Marco Carducci, Paolo Tornaghi

Defenders (7): Sam Adekugbe, Fraser Aird, Jordan Harvey, Pa-Modou Kah, Tim Parker, Cole Seiler, Jordan Smith

Midfielders (8): Marco Bustos, Alphonso Davies, Kianz Froese, Andrew Jacobson, Ben McKendry, Nicolás Mezquida, Cristian Techera, Russell Teibert

Strikers (3): Erik Hurtado, Kekuta Manneh, Octavio Rivero

Archived