2016 Voyageurs' Cup (Canadian Championship)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Well you got that right but maybe not in the way you were expecting. I was about to come on here to congratulate Vancouver for Justin Morrow personally handing them the Voyaguers Cup but instead Waston let him off the hook. Tough way to lose, to say the least.

I'm sold on Edwards by the way, sign him  to the senior team. 

Anyone know what Robinson's issue with Vanney was at the end?

Completely agree with your Morrow comments.  Can't believe how brutal he has been this year.  Time to play Ashtone when he returns from injury.  Also agree on Edwards.  Been great for TFC II and Canada U23s this year.  Certainly looked the part last night.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Game of inches:  at 2-0 late, Perez holds off Edwards and is able to get a shot which I think Bono might have have had a touch off his toe and then off the  wrong side the post for the Caps.  And prior to that, Endoh looked like he was trying to head a back pass to Ousted with a glorious opportunity from that great Edwards' cross.

Yeah, Endoh was actually pretty woeful when he came on, yet one of the ironies of this game is seeing some of the post-game press reports that, sight-unseen, would lead one to think that Endoh made some sort of a great play on the "winning" goal, when it was really an over-hit ball into the box that was miles away from either target that could be aimed at (Hagglund & Hamilton) with the closest TFC player being Giovinco, who is never going to win anything in the air. And yet that leads to the championship goal.

I thought Edwards did quite well to even be there to cover Perez - not sure that was part of the game plan to have the young winger be the one to mark the target forward close to the death. Not sure where Mr. Morrow was on the play but given his defensive work on the night & Edwards ability to whip in crosses from the left, that's the guy I would have taken off. On the plus side, Bono played pretty well and made me feel a little bit better about the prospects for the next 6 weeks than I did after Saturday's game.

13 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Completely agree with your Morrow comments.  Can't believe how brutal he has been this year.  Time to play Ashtone when he returns from injury.  Also agree on Edwards.  Been great for TFC II and Canada U23s this year.  Certainly looked the part last night.

I have absolutely no idea what Morrow was thinking/doing on that all-important first Whitecaps goal. I mean, the TFC goal was brutal defending on the Whitecaps part but at least I understand what Waston & Ousted were thinking. With Morrow on that first goal in particular, it's like he had body language & a facial expression saying "Wait, have we started the half yet?"

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have absolutely no idea what Morrow was thinking/doing on that all-important first Whitecaps goal. I mean, the TFC goal was brutal defending on the Whitecaps part but at least I understand what Waston & Ousted were thinking. With Morrow on that first goal in particular, it's like he had body language & a facial expression saying "Wait, have we started the half yet?"

Had a healthy left sided option (Lovitz, Morgan) been available in that second half, he would have and should have been subbed.

He's really fallen off in his overall play from last season.  I never felt offensive contributions were his strength but at least last year he showed to be a solid, aware defender.  On the first goal he got beaten in the air on a high hang time cross by one of the shortest guys on the field.  

From what I could see of the game through the "mist" and flags, Robbo made no tactical move to really hold this lead and win the Cup. He was competely unable to adjust to the reality of each moment. There was a play late leading 2-0 we had five guys counter attacking and he seemed fine with that. Half the team forward and then all of them on the wrong side of the ball when TFC countered back. Very poor, that is garbage tactical acumen. 

Putting on Davies was another BS move, he was clearly grandstanding Robinson  was with that one. You cannot seriously think you need a third attacking player with no experience in those circumstances. We needed a second holding mid, minimum, first. Or the Blas for Hurtado much earlier. That game was screaming for Blas from m. 60 on. A player perfect to upset the cart. 

We also stopped tracking properly. There were moments when the TFC attack up their left was 3 against 2, we were not even moving players over properly (other side worked better). 

Another thing: in the last ten minutes of a match you have 10 players who are in a position to take a yellow. You bloody well take yours, the rest do too, and send the game into celebration mode. Ten yellows on the centre line, I mean, why couldnt coach just say "Buying pizza and beer for every yellow from here on in", it even works with millionaire players. 

What I don't get is we have players who should understand this, on their own, even ignoring the coach if they have to. Morales was like invisible out there, a ghost. Is he really Chilean?

As long as you have non-tactical coaches you are going to get this type of results: basically a crap shoot where no one is minimally interested in reading the game intelligently. This is what Robbo played and what we get. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One was made at the half. So no way four minutes. 

True, but there was over a minute of time wasted after a free kick awarded to Vancouver a few minutes after they got their 2nd goal, with multiple balls thrown on the pitch and Vancouver taking their sweet time to to take the free kick. I expect part of the four minutes came from this, and then probably another extra 30 seconds during the added time from the same nonsense happening (leading the Ref to brandish a yellow card to someone on the bench). Speaking of yellows, I'm surprised Ousted didn't get one for taking nearly a minute to do a goal kick just prior to the TFC goal but I guess he got away with it because the Ref had just brandished one 30 seconds before to someone on the Vancouver bench.

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

True, but there was over a minute of time wasted after a free kick awarded to Vancouver a few minutes after they got their 2nd goal, with multiple balls thrown on the pitch and Vancouver taking their sweet time to to take the free kick. I expect part of the four minutes came from this, and then probably another extra 30 seconds during the added time from the same nonsense happening (leading the Ref to brandish a yellow card to someone on the bench). Speaking of yellows, I'm surprised Ousted didn't get one for taking nearly a minute to do a goal kick just prior to the TFC goal but I guess he got away with it because the Ref had just brandished one 30 seconds before to someone on the Vancouver bench.

Thinking of that, I realize you are right. 

If you look at my other post on tactical genius from Robinson, you'll see that for me, any pro team has to do a much better job controlling a lead than that. And that was 95% of the problem. 

Pa Moudo Kah was crouching behind the static adds when warming up 2nd half, throwing extra balls onto the field, which was childish and proves how soccer stupid these guys are. They also got a ball girl to throw balls on the field, I commented to someone beside me how I'd seen ballkids carded (Betis regularly trains them to help time waste by retaining balls when leading, which is the "right" way to do it.

A coach that sees his players throw balls on teh field and then can't tell his guys to tactically foul like shit in the centre of the field is still in an amateur stage. But I expect this from British coaches especially, most of them are wired to have no capacity to coach a team to read a game, they are tactically illiterate.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of yellows, I'm surprised Ousted didn't get one for taking nearly a minute to do a goal kick just prior to the TFC goal but I guess he got away with it because the Ref had just brandished one 30 seconds before to someone on the Vancouver bench.

That's the only reason I could see why he didn't get a card on that play.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From what I could see of the game through the "mist" and flags, Robbo made no tactical move to really hold this lead and win the Cup. He was competely unable to adjust to the reality of each moment. There was a play late leading 2-0 we had five guys counter attacking and he seemed fine with that. Half the team forward and then all of them on the wrong side of the ball when TFC countered back. Very poor, that is garbage tactical acumen. 

Agreed.  Vancouver let the game get way too stretched and wide open in those latter stages.

It was an entertaining game for sure. But one thing really irked me was watching Gio after the goal was scored and during the trophy lift. He's drinking from the water bottle not celebrating at all. He looked like he couldn't give two shits about winning the Championship and that with a goal at the death. It's hard to catch without a pvr and rewinding but I get the sense and I think I confirmed that he feels he's too good to care. Really irksome and can't be positive for team morale.

Archived