NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Happy he finally signed somewhere decent (in the sense that he'll probably be there over half a year, not decent if talking about the level). You have to start somewhere. 

You still have to wonder what would have happened if he'd tried his luck in North-America and probably would have had 2 years of playing  USL behind his name by now. Not that I blame him for trying though, but in hind side it looks like a couple of wasted years. 

He got in alot of NASL games before he left, hopefully if he had stayed (and buckled down/worked hard etc) he would have put in 2 more NASL seasons, not USL.  Maybe even made the jump to MLS.  So sad to see, hopefully he can still turn it around.  

Anyone know about this guy, Zak Drake? I couldnt find him on the spread sheet or CSA.  26year old RB, Bethel college, was in GermanyTasmania.  Is on the LasVegas roster, made the team through a open tryout with 100's of others.  Kind of a cool story. Was on the Soccer today podcast awhile ago.  

Edited by Bison44

A kid named Matthew Durrans is playing in Germanies Regionalliga Bayern (D4). He's 19 years old and was previously a part of 1816 München's U19. He's played in 2 games (15 mins) for Garching so far, they're a mid-table side in a pretty strong division. 

BTW Haris Kevac has tweeted (already some time ago) that he was plagued by injuries and therefor has gone back home. I guess end of career. 

Edited by shamrock

On 3/23/2018 at 12:03 AM, Bison44 said:

Anyone know about this guy, Zak Drake? I couldnt find him on the spread sheet or CSA.  26year old RB, Bethel college, was in GermanyTasmania.  Is on the LasVegas roster, made the team through a open tryout with 100's of others.  Kind of a cool story. Was on the Soccer today podcast awhile ago.  

He's definitely on the spreadsheet.

On 3/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, shamrock said:

A kid named Matthew Durrans is playing in Germanies Regionalliga Bayern (D4). He's 19 years old and was previously a part of 1816 München's U19. He's played in 2 games (15 mins) for Garching so far, they're a mid-table side in a pretty strong division. 

BTW Haris Kevac has tweeted (already some time ago) that he was plagued by injuries and therefor has gone back home. I guess end of career. 

I was wondering why he hasn't been in the lineup lately. Which twitter account are you referring to? I had been using @HKevac  , I guess that one is not the right one?

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

He's been out of the game that long? I feel like I've been posting lineups with im in it, more recently than this.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Toje said:

Damien Strangio has signed with 4th tier Czech side Velka Bites.  He joins Canadian Ryan Whittingham who signed with the club back in September.

Damien has played with York Region Shooters.  I think he was also part of the TFC Academy when he was younger.

http://fcvelkabites.com/clanek/125458610041096-poprve-na-domacim-travniku

https://t.co/QqAWJAtrOh

I wonder what the thought process goes into many of our young Canadians who go to Europe and end up playing in fourth divisions around Europe. I can't imagine the pay is great, especially in Eastern Europe. Simply the love of the game? The culture shock for some must be immense, from the outside looking in it seems like a lot of effort for very little pay off. But I don't know maybe this is everything they've ever wanted.

15 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I wonder what the thought process goes into many of our young Canadians who go to Europe and end up playing in fourth divisions around Europe. I can't imagine the pay is great, especially in Eastern Europe. Simply the love of the game? The culture shock for some must be immense, from the outside looking in it seems like a lot of effort for very little pay off. But I don't know maybe this is everything they've ever wanted.

Think of the alternative for a young player from S. Ont. Live at home with the 'rents, work and/or go to school and play in L1O or CSL for free or small cash payments. This way they get to go live on their own with accomodation paid for, might get a cushy job through the club sponsors or owners, experience a different culture and all while playing at a level at least similar to L1O.

Edited by jpg75

42 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Think of the alternative for a young player from S. Ont. Live at home with the 'rents, work and/or go to school and play in L1O or CSL for free or small cash payments. This way they get to go live on their own with accomodation paid for, might get a cushy job through the club sponsors or owners, experience a different culture and all while playing at a level at least similar to L1O.

Yes but it is incredible dedication, the sacrifice is huge. I doubt any make enough to live properly, though they may have an apartment from the club or some small perk. In any case, you have to be very convinced to give it a shot, since even if you end up in 2nd tier in a few years, which would be a big step up, you are still at a very modest level.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes but it is incredible dedication, the sacrifice is huge. I doubt any make enough to live properly, though they may have an apartment from the club or some small perk. In any case, you have to be very convinced to give it a shot, since even if you end up in 2nd tier in a few years, which would be a big step up, you are still at a very modest level.

Sure is, but for any kid that loves the sport and has the ambition to be a pro athlete (or even just wants to delay adulthood lol) it's probably more fun than work.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:05 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are plenty of young people who finish their BA, have debt and decide to go abroad to do internships in developing countries for next to no pay.  I would think of it as the same for footballers.  You need a sense of adventure, willingness to take a risk and an understanding that you are earning a meager living for the next year or more.  The payoff is that it gets you experience, and it might lead to something more sustainable.  If not - you took a chance, you are set back financially from if you stayed home, and you go back to living with your parents looking for that desk job that allows you to comb through Voyageurs forums on Monday mornings.  

On 09/04/2018 at 7:11 AM, WheatsheafSK said:

There are plenty of young people who finish their BA, have debt and decide to go abroad to do internships in developing countries for next to no pay.  I would think of it as the same for footballers.  You need a sense of adventure, willingness to take a risk and an understanding that you are earning a meager living for the next year or more.  The payoff is that it gets you experience, and it might lead to something more sustainable.  If not - you took a chance, you are set back financially from if you stayed home, and you go back to living with your parents looking for that desk job that allows you to comb through Voyageurs forums on Monday mornings.  

I'd say this is pretty bang on accurate.  Hopefully the player does have some education or skills to fall back in the likely event they don't make it.  The sad cases to me are the ones who are 30+ still hanging around in 4th division Germany or lower divisions in Scandinavia.  I would guess most of them don't have a lot other career options. 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

I'd say this is pretty bang on accurate.  Hopefully the player does have some education or skills to fall back in the likely event they don't make it.  The sad cases to me are the ones who are 30+ still hanging around in 4th division Germany or lower divisions in Scandinavia.  I would guess most of them don't have a lot other career options. 

The majority of German 4th division players are either studying or have another job on the side. Top teams like Energie Cottbus are fully professional but most of the others have a few professionals mixed with semi-pros and some teams are completely semi-pro. Most of the 4th division teams train in the evening due to that which gives another advantage to teams like Cottbus who not only have better players but their players are training under better and more professional conditions. The younger players with hopes of moving up the pyramid might be focusing only on soccer but I suspect most of the players in their mid 20s and older are doing other things both in relation to having a future career and just being able to live in the present on a 4th division wage.

Just now, Grizzly said:

The majority of German 4th division players are either studying or have another job on the side. Top teams like Energie Cottbus are fully professional but most of the others have a few professionals mixed with semi-pros and some teams are completely semi-pro. Most of the 4th division teams train in the evening due to that which gives another advantage to teams like Cottbus who not only have better players but their players are training under better and more professional conditions. The younger players with hopes of moving up the pyramid might be focusing only on soccer but I suspect most of the players in their mid 20s and older are doing other things both in relation to having a future career and just being able to live in the present on a 4th division wage.

This is the same for fourth tier Spain, basically identical. Some clubs, because of tradition, fan base, sponsors or other factors (some rich guy who feels like it), may pay up to a living wage, but they are a minority. The Spanish federation decrees the third tier above it fully professional, so that any player on a 2B team has a minimum salary that is fully liveable as full time, however modest in some cases.