Dominica vs. Canada June 11th 2015 Pre/In/Post game thread

jpg75

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read what I said madmonte.  "If he can continue to improve he'll be playing top flight footy in Europe without a doubt."

No, not at the moment.  In the future he will be able to, he has literally every tool you could hope for if you were to put together the ideal centre forward.  No he isn't Lukaku but I have no doubt he can reach a club in a top 4 league if he can continue to develop.  

I think you need to understand the concept of a centre forward.  He isn't supposed to be played out wide and I can't see why any club would ever see him there.  Drogba, Shearer, Lewandowski... these are centre forwards.  They don't need to run at defenders or play out wide to be valuable (and in those cases legendary).  These players are extremely rare and valuable, when you get one you stick them up top and you don't dream of playing them on the wings.

He is much more complete than Occean or Friend for example.. and those two both had a brief stay in top flight footy.

Read what I said madmonte.  "If he can continue to improve he'll be playing top flight footy in Europe without a doubt."

No, not at the moment.  In the future he will be able to, he has literally every tool you could hope for if you were to put together the ideal centre forward.  No he isn't Lukaku but I have no doubt he can reach a club in a top 4 league if he can continue to develop.  

I think you need to understand the concept of a centre forward.  He isn't supposed to be played out wide and I can't see why any club would ever see him there.  Drogba, Shearer, Lewandowski... these are centre forwards.  They don't need to run at defenders or play out wide to be valuable (and in those cases legendary).  These players are extremely rare and valuable, when you get one you stick them up top and you don't dream of playing them on the wings.

He is much more complete than Occean or Friend for example.. and those two both had a brief stay in top flight footy.

I get what you are saying Keegan, and I wasn't trying to take away from what you were saying, and I think we're close to on the same page, actually.   But if you read what I said, I actually said Larin probably could be a premier league forward, and that there are managers that will take him on in a center forward role only, but that some managers wouldn't be interested if they were the type of managers that liked to move players around a lot, and tinker with formations a lot, ie the type of managers that want versatile center forwards.  By the way, Drogba and Lewandowski actually CAN both run at defenders with balls at their feet, and often do.  Drogba, for example, will quite often penetrate deep into the box with fantastic dribbling and play the ball into that middle.  I'm not saying Larin CAN'T, just that I've never seen him do it, so far.

Nor did I see Occean or Friend do it.  Larin could prove to be more complete than them, I agree.  I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Larin, but I don't think he'll ever be comparable to someone like Drogba, in terms of style of play...

What Larin HAS displayed is an ability to finish, in many different ways, from different angles as well.  Like I said to rob.notenboom over coffee, what I like best about Larin is the quick trigger.  Gets the ball and BANG, what a quick release he has.  

Defenders will find that VERY challenging, especially when he uses that great first touch (which is what makes him more complete than Occean and Friend)

Nice!  I went to go find it, and yeah, that looked good!  I'd like to see him do that more!  Unfortunately, our 2" phone screen lost all connection to the broadcast, and I'm only able to watch the full game tomorrow.  Definitely good to see though :) As I said, I'm not saying he can't, just that I hadn't yet seen him do it, yet.  Luckily, we (fingers crossed) have years to analyze his play.

I was just thinking if Canada can beat St. Lucia 7-0, the Dominica game should have seen more goals by the Great White North.

Ya we also shouldnt have tied puerto rico and st v&g.

You cant compare beating one team 4 years ago to the game against dominca. Different team. Different players. Different situation.

And for every time weve scored 7 goals against a minnow theres 4 instances where we drew or barely won. I dont see how ppl are expecting us to blow teams out. We have rarely ever done that.

Look at argentina today. Tying praguay. Jamaica only losing by one to uruguay.

Argentina tying Paraguay and Jamaica losing to Uruguay by one is not even comparible to Canada vs Dominica. That is an insult to Paraguay and Jamaica lol.

I do agree that they'll be games like that where we win by only two, or one, or even draw. It happens. But now, we must respond at home and put on a good preformance.

If we sharpen things up, play our best players and play up to our potential at BMO, the result should be 3, 4 or 5 nil in our favour.

After a mediocre showing where we still scored 2 away, I don't believe that is too much to ask.

Ok, we get it.

Some people think that the result was good because they got a result in a comfortable way, other people think that we should have smoked them and playing like that was unaceptable. Good.

Now, let's move on and don't bring it up until after Tuesday where we can bring up those same results.

Was de guzmans header off a corner (1:36 minutes into the full match video) not the most wide open free header you have ever seen? The more I watch the highlights the more confident I get of at least a 5 spot at bmo. Smooth surface, home crowd, more motivation. Guys like edgar, Morgan, Johnson and osorio coming in. I'm telling you 2-0 was just what they needed.

Thread Paradigm

This thread fulfills all the main paradigms of Voyageur Board threads of the last 15 years when dealing with the MNT. The whole thread also ignores a simple piece of football logic, as we usually do, namely: that if you have a team that plays together, and is well-coached, even if full of journeymen, and of any age or developmental stage, you can get results.

These threads almost always ignore the basic tenet that if your defense is strong the rest will come. 

Canada should be like those hard-ass non-flashy 2nd tier teams that have great seasons, playing way above their apparent capacity. I can't imagine us being anything else and getting anywhere.

But somehow Canada fans don't want to make the HEX or the WC that way, ignoring the fact that usually 1 or 2 Concacaf teams doing well are just that: well-coached committed journeymen getting results above their on-paper ability, the clubs of their players. And doing so in a mightily boring fashion more often than not.

Instead we get:

1-Where are our best players why didn't they play?

2-Our players aren't good enough to do better.

3-We should use these games to develop our youth.

4-So and so is too old time to retire him (//s Sinclair comments on Women's WC threads)

5-We should have done better, they are minnows.

6-We always play to the level of our opponent.

7-Cappped!!!

8-So and so is our future saviour just wait until (pick not this but NEXT WC qualifying campaign)

9-Why isn't it on tv or my stream sucks just proves we don't deserve better.

10-All kinds of other Ifs ands and buts.

My view is that we have to pass the elimination and the group of players have to all be ready to play in the system, so here you play some guys who do not usually start. You have to show you understand the system and your place in it, play tough defensively, execute the free kicks well and defend them even better. Not one player can seem to be out of synch with the rest.

The second main objective is to use these two games to prepare the Gold Cup. The goal in the GC is to go as far as possible, and even win, as it is the only competition Canada has a remotely reasonable chance of ever winning.

I am sure Floro, after almost 2 years now, wants to do very well in the GC as it will be the sign he has done his job and we can compete. The GC is where Canada should again look like one of the top 6 in the region and that should be the confidence that will get us past the next qualifying round, and the next, into the HEX.

I admit I am reading an internal logic, a plan, into this. Which is why the 0-2 seems to me to be just fine. I also think that Borjan's handball was brilliant, a very well taken red, meaning his head was 100% into the game. I could give a hoot whether we score 3 or nine in Toronto, if it is 1-0 and under control from start to finish, fine by me.

^^^ good post. I think at the very least for the gold cup should finish top 8 and qualify for the playoff to the copa. Of course winning the gold cup outright and automatic copa qualification would be great, not likely though. Id be over joyed with a semi final gold cup appearance.

^^^ good post. I think at the very least for the gold cup should finish top 8 and qualify for the playoff to the copa. Of course winning the gold cup outright and automatic copa qualification would be great, not likely though. Id be over joyed with a semi final gold cup appearance.

Top 8 is absolutely realistic and anything more and Floro should be given the Order of Canada. When you look at the USA and their recent results against Germany and Holland, plus Mexico and their Euro stars, winning the Gold Cup tournament would be nothing short of a miracle. I like that Floro publicly said that he wants to win it, though, about time we had some cojones. I remember Osieck stating the same thing before the Gold Cup in 2000. When he received the red card in the final game, he claimed the referee wanted to give him a chance to fix his tie for the medal ceremony.

Qualification for the COPA could be fantastic.

The USA and Mexico are beatable.  I'm shocked that we are the only team outside of those two who have won the Gold Cup honestly.  I know it's fixed so it's a USA-Mexico final but still... if Costa Rica can beat Uruguay and Italy a Gold Cup is well within reach and USA/Mexico are beatable for them.  We've seen a handful of teams in this region pull off impressive results, the USA-Mexico "mystique" is a laugh.. imagine Australia and Japan meeting in the AFC final every time.  I'll always root against those two and I hope we see one of those two stopped short of the final, preferably by us.  

The USA and Mexico are beatable.  I'm shocked that we are the only team outside of those two who have won the Gold Cup honestly.  I know it's fixed so it's a USA-Mexico final but still... if Costa Rica can beat Uruguay and Italy a Gold Cup is well within reach and USA/Mexico are beatable for them.  We've seen a handful of teams in this region pull off impressive results, the USA-Mexico "mystique" is a laugh.. imagine Australia and Japan meeting in the AFC final every time.  I'll always root against those two and I hope we see one of those two stopped short of the final, preferably by us.  

I was thinking about that the other day as well. It's odd to think no one else has pulled what we did in 2000. I feel this year things will change 

I was thinking about that the other day as well. It's odd to think no one else has pulled what we did in 2000. I feel this year things will change 

The US MNT was quit a bit different at that time. Plus Canada winning that Cup was a freakin miracle indeed. If anything, I'd go for Costa Rica as outsider. 

I was thinking about that the other day as well. It's odd to think no one else has pulled what we did in 2000. I feel this year things will change.

I wonder if that will change qualifying for Gold Cup. Up to now CONCACAF has stated our automatic entry is due to our win in 2000. Will they extend the same offer to Costa Rica if they win, or will they invent another new rule.

I wonder if that will change qualifying for Gold Cup. Up to now CONCACAF has stated our automatic entry is due to our win in 2000. Will they extend the same offer to Costa Rica if they win, or will they invent another new rule.

Probably a new made up rule to see us automatically qualify. CONCACAF breaks down its region into 3 sub regions. North America, Central America and the Carribean.

Only Canada US and MEX make up the North American sub region. The other 2 sub regions have regional tournaments(north america does not) and much more teams and not all of them can qualify for the Gold cup.

EDIT: I dont even think we receive automatic qualification because we won the Gold Cup. I think its just because the North American region gets 3 births.

A total of 12 teams qualified for the tournament. Three berths were allocated to North America, four to Central America, and four to the Caribbean. For the first time, the two overall fifth-placed teams of the Caribbean zone and the Central America zone competed for the final berth of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Previously, five berths were allocated to Central America and four were allocated to the Caribbean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

It has been discussed before in this space, but it would be of benefit to Canada to be required to participate in Gold Cup qualifying for the following reasons:

1. A greater number of competitive matches against inferior teams should produce wins and a better FIFA ranking which, unfortunately, matters

2. More official matches means more opportunities to cap-tie players

3. Increased experience playing teams in the region, and experiencing the conditions, which is a different ballgame entirely to friendlies in Austria or Moldova or some other European country.

^^^ we would definately get a bunch more points. Would be a travesty if we didn't qualify though.

Thing is we wouldn't really have a qualification tournament to play in. We aren't carribean, and we aren't central american. Those are the qualification tournaments.

Sidenote: if we annex the turks and caicos we can call ourselves a carribean nation lol

Archived