Dominica vs. Canada June 11th 2015 Pre/In/Post game thread

jpg75

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what you guys were expecting?  Have you been watching Canada for the past few years?  Do you remember the last gold cup or the year without a scoring a goal?  Regardless of the opposition, I was pleased to see Canada string a few passes together score some goals.  We are ranked in the 100's for a reason and I definitely took some positives out of Canada's play, especially comparing to recent memories of this team. 

Some thought:

Don't want to get caught up in hyperbole but Larin looks like the goal scorer Canada was desperate for in the last cycle. He is young and it will take some work to play like that consistently especially against better nations when it really matters.  But for now, it's nice to sit back and enjoy. 

Piette really seems to be growing into the defensive midfield role. He looked very steady and kept play moving.

I did like Ouimette,  Thought he linked up well on the left.

Teibert looked good and showed Canada has some decent depth in the middle of the park (Teibert, Johnson, Hutchinson, Piette, JDG, Osorio) but when the subs started coming on I saw a lot of the Canada of old. We showed a lack of depth up front and on the wing (Tissot did look ok when he came on). 

I thought Rickets had another frustrating match.

Good debate here and I'm probably somewhere in the middle.  Did we play well?  No.  Should we have scored more than 2 goals?  Yes.  Did we create enough to win 4 or 5-0?  I believe we did. 

But as many people pointed out: 1) we played on a bumpy cricket pitch, 2) that was not our best XI by far, 3) first time many of these players have played together or even been capped, 4) Dominica parked the bus (wait til they get to BMO, it'll be worse), and 5) we showboated a bit especially in the 2nd half cause the players expected that the opposition had nothing to threaten us with. 

So all in all, I'm ok with 2-0 away; I was scared we'd draw 0-0 going into the 1st leg..

But as many people pointed out: 1) we played on a bumpy cricket pitch, 2) that was not our best XI by far, 3) first time many of these players have played together or even been capped, 4) Dominica parked the bus (wait til they get to BMO, it'll be worse), 

Dunno, they can't be parking the buss if they don't want to be eliminated...

Cockney to your point on ricketts I think we're seeing the end of the euro journeyman types on this team. The mls youngens looked better with the ball at their feet. I bet in 4 years the team is 80% mls or ex mls kids who moved on as well as a few euro standouts like piette. This genuinely feels like the beginning of something new.

I can't believe Brady and walker bad mouthing soccer do you know how annoying that is I'm trying to cheer for my country and these losers want to watch hockey and only hockey that's why I this country is messed up. I am Italian and I don't follow Italy I follow Canada because I'm pumped to see us make it . And we will trust me

I  am  also  sick  of  the  So  called   sports  broadcasters    here  in Canada   or   as  I  like  to  call   them  Puck  heads    bad  mouthing  soccer   it  is  kind  of  annoying.  Heven's  forbid  if  some  people  watch  something  else.

2026 isn't coming our way anymore but I think 2018 is our year. We have lots of talent that was our b team out there and we didn't look to bad, no starting defence which makes a difference and we did alright.ledgerwood is useless though and it's time to get rid of julian

You need to have better options first. A right-footed fullback would be nice. (Which is really strange btw, any reasonably skilled player on midfield or attack can easily be turned into a fullback. How Canada can't seem to be able to produce one is beyond me really. I know I will probably be shot on this forum but Hutch was a good one at PSV...)

Cockney to your point on ricketts I think we're seeing the end of the euro journeyman types on this team. The mls youngens looked better with the ball at their feet. I bet in 4 years the team is 80% mls or ex mls kids who moved on as well as a few euro standouts like piette. This genuinely feels like the beginning of something new.

Exactly. Like I said 2 years ago, dump everybody age 25 and up and start with new kids. Slowly this is happening (keep in mind the point I made above, there has to be a younger version to begin with).

On the other point made, I think it's improving slowly. A good result at the Gold Cup and/or the WC quali would give the sport some credibility again. It's hard to cheer for losers (harshly put, but you know what I mean). 

You need to have better options first. A right-footed fullback would be nice. (Which is really strange btw, any reasonably skilled player on midfield or attack can easily be turned into a fullback. How Canada can't seem to be able to produce one is beyond me really. I know I will probably be shot on this forum but Hutch was a good one at PSV...)

Exactly. Like I said 2 years ago, dump everybody age 25 and up and start with new kids. Slowly this is happening (keep in mind the point I made above, there has to be a younger version to begin with).

On the other point made, I think it's improving slowly. A good result at the Gold Cup and/or the WC quali would give the sport some credibility again. It's hard to cheer for losers (harshly put, but you know what I mean). 

So dump Ricketts, Hainault, Hutchinson, JDG etc. and put all our eggs in 2022/2026?  Ya, sure that will turn out great.

The new generation isn't THAT impressive.  We seem to have more depth but where is the next JDG, Hutch, DDR, Stalteri or McKennna?  Do we have ONE direct replacement for any of those players under 25?  We need to constantly call up our best squad and hope for cohesion/results for the next decade. 

Optimisitc for Henry, Larin, Osorio, Teibert but really don't see that generation being better than McKenna, De Rosario, Hutchinson and De Guzman.  Honestly, they don't even have a hope of ONE of those players reaching the pedigree of those players.

It really is a shame that Floro wasn't around in 2008.

Huh? You're already saying henry having no chance of reaching the level of mckenna?

Okay, sure I'll give you that one.  He can definitely reach that level or greater.  But the others?  We don't have a JDG, DeRo or Hutchinson type prospect.  The point is that we can't afford to call a u25 roster, that is suicide.

Okay, sure I'll give you that one. He can definitely reach that level or greater. But the others? We don't have a JDG, DeRo or Hutchinson type prospect. The point is that we can't afford to call a u25 roster, that is suicide.

Agree that we cant call an u25 roster. I think larin could be something special tho. Petrasso as well.

When Hutch was 20 he was playing for Toronto Lynx, and Dero was with FSV Zwikau. I certainly never watched them at a young age, but it seems unfair to discredit our youth already. This notion that development ends at a young age needs to stop.

(shrugs) Noone is saying that development ends at a young age.  I am of the mind though, that you can basically tell world class players pretty early.  Someone at 20, you can start to peg ABOUT where they might end up, with some surprises.  As it stands, yes Petrasso COULD be something special.  I would peg him as someone that at 23 will be playing in the Championship level, a sometime starter, but not a Premier League superstar.  

Depends what you mean by special.  Petrasso isn't about to be recruited on a huge transfer by Manchester City, but neither (depending on whether injury problems start to plague him) do I see him staying in League 2, League 1 type action forever.  

As for someone like Larin?  2 Canadians in a row as the MLS rookie of the year sounds about right.  And that's AWESOME.  Guys like Piette have a good chance at La Liga action, but not with Barcelona.  Piette could be on a JDG career trajectory, if so, that's still a decent career.  

Development doesn't stop ever.  

On that same token though, if we are saying that people should stop saying that development needs to stop at an early age....

Should we also stop saying we need to stop overrating career trajectories of young Canadian players?

I personally think that where people rate guys like Larin, Piette, Petrasso is usually pretty accurate around here...to pick those three again as examples.  

I'm actually genuinely curious if they were rated that highly as young players?

Yes all 3 of those players were highly rated at a young age. DeRo had trials at Barcelona and AC Milan at 16. de Guzman joined Marseille at 17 and Hutch was a U20 starter at 18. Everyone expected big things from those players

For me (and I'm sure many others) Larin definitely has the most potential of anyone in the pool.  If he can continue to improve he'll be playing top flight footy in Europe without a doubt.  Petrasso, Henry, Piette etc. all have potential to play top flight one day as well.

You just never know but I'm pretty confident in saying Larin is a blue chip prospect who will be one of, if not the best striker to ever play for Canada.

I'm not saying these youngsters don't have the potential to be great for us, it's just that for the most part they're nothing we haven't seen before if you look at the young careers of Hutch, JDG, DeRo, Hume, Peters... so it's best to temper expectations and not hand them the reins until they establish themselves.  

Larin is good but top flight Europe...depends how you mean.  He's not at the moment good enough for the big clubs, anyway.  I'm just thankful we have a guy up top that's young that can finish well.  At the moment, he's not a total package striker.  

When he get a little further and are able to scrutinize him more, like at the Gold Cup, we'll see how he does with hold up play up top, especially in situations where Canada has to absorb long periods of sustained pressure.  I suspect it won't be bad, but not world class level.  From what I've seen he has a cool head for it though, and doesn't rush.  I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing how he does in that role, and hoping for good things.  Occean was actually the best at that out of a Canadian that I've seen.

In terms of moving forward with the ball at his feet, again, I haven't seen situations where he has the ball at his feet and rushes in on goal.  For me, he is at his best giving one or two good touches receiving a pass either in the box, or after a run, and utilizing his great finishing.  There are a lot of great scorers in the world considered world class that aren't great running at defenders, so it's not like this is necessary

However, though, I think any European clubs looking at him would maybe notice the same thing, and say well he's not necessarily the best choice out wide...he's sort of pigeonholed into being a lone striker (or paired striker) up top based on what I've seen...which is fine, don't get me wrong, but lowers his sale potential to some managers who like to toy with their lineups a lot.  Akindele is better suited for that kind of manager, for example.

Definitely a solid player...could see him in the Premiership.  Could not see him deep in the Champions league as a starter.  If his finishing ability continues to develop and improve, and circumstances allow, hell, he could even end up as Canada's all time top scorer.

And DEFINITELY has more goals in him for both Canada and Orlando before 2015 is up.

Archived