WCQ June 11 & 16 - CanMNT v Dominica - Roster LEAKS

What,specifically has Osorio done outside of one remarkable season to suggest for even a second that he can be relied on to provide service to other players? From what I have seen that is not exactly his strength.

The kid has ONE, read it ONE remarkable season and he gets a free pass for life? He's ok, not great. Definitely has a nice touch, and dribbling ability, but he relies on other players to make the big plays.

Despite what some of you on here choose not to accept, service is more of Bekker's department. And I seem to recall some on here saying Morgan was crap a year ago when he couldn't get a game for TFC. De Jong was so much better, even Adekugbe. And now where are those two?

So cut Bekker some slack. He tends to play well for Canada. So did Gerba. Yet nobody on here had any trouble with him playing for CMNT, even when he hadn't played a club game in two years. Double standards people.

Every time I watch Osorio play, he provides service.  He's the only player on Canada I've seen with actual consistent passing vision.  De Jong and Adekugbe have been dealing with injuries, I've always thought Morgan could come back from it, just that he needed to seriously improve his defensive one on one defending.  I've also said De Jong could improve that aspect.  

As for Bekker, I agree on cutting him some slack, but I said the same for Issey, who would have teammates (ie Caldwell) literally SCREAMING at him about his poor defending so loudly you could even hear it in Medicine Hat.  

Osorio isn't the world's greatest defender either.  I have to be honest, if my choice for an attacking mid is Osorio or Bekker, I choose Bekker, and not because of one season, but because I legitimately think he's better with the ball at his feet, and has WAY better visions for things like through balls, lobbed balls through, and other things besides just CROSS CROSS CROSS like way too many of our players do.  

We need to lose that over predictable offense, and Osorio is the only multidimensional attacking midfielder that I can even think of that's polished/experienced enough for the role.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, can't seem to get the quote function to work on this new computer. But no Keegan, I am not calling out Osorio himself. I'm calling out some of the biased attitude towards players around here.

I like Osorio, not as much as others, but I do like him. I am waiting for him to replicate his club form with the CMNT, but that is what it is. And I suppose we will have to disagree on his strengths. I see a player always looking to dribble, or rather, waiting to dribble, but he creates space off those dribbles, drawing attention to himself to allow his teammates to use that space. That is his greatest strength as I see it.

Madmonte, I agree with almost everything you said there. I personally wouldn't go so far as to call Osorio 'multi-dimensional' but his time in South America definitely shows in the way he plays.

One remarkable season in MLS is good enough to get called up by the canMNT. We arent exactly spoiled for options.

Did Osorio have a "remarkable" season in MLS? He was a competent starter on a non-playoff team, which is impressive for a young player, but does not meet my definition of remarkable.

For my money Osorio is a squad player for Canada, but not a surefire starter.

Did Osorio have a "remarkable" season in MLS? He was a competent starter on a non-playoff team, which is impressive for a young player, but does not meet my definition of remarkable.

For my money Osorio is a squad player for Canada, but not a surefire starter.

I was quoting wingback using the world remarkable. I agree with your opinion of his season.

Osorio is, or has the potential to be, our best playmaker. The guy with the skill to play that final ball into the box.

My only criticism of him is his speed - or lack thereof.

Reason why I think hes better suited in the middle. His offense awareness is really good in the final third. We don't have much of that.

It is also saying he will be with the team for the Gold Cup. Guess that means he won't be with the U23s.

Interesting. Looks like floro is calling best players regardless of age and pan ams will be left overs. Hopefully the actual olympic qualifying turni will see our strongest u23 team seeing as its an intl break and the full mens team isnt playing.

So confirmed:

Haber

Piette

Edgar

I like the Piette call a lot.  Floro really rates him too, apparently he told the Deportivo staff that they have a "crack"... a term that was reserved for our JDG when he was in Deportivo as well.  

From what we've seen the midfielders Floro really likes are: Hutchinson, De Guzman, Bekker, Piette

I hope Floro uses some actual wingers, not just banishing CM players to the wing (Osorio, Rusty, neither of which will beat his man with pace). Who does that leave? Petrasso if recovered from injury, Froese, De Jong, Tissot, Fisk? Petrasso looked good in u20s taking his men on and beating them. Although I suspect we'll see Ledgerwood and De Jong.....

We have quite a few good CMs: Hutch, Will Johnson (injury) Aleman, Piette, Rusty, Osorio...

Please no Kyle Bekker!

REB and Tissot will be good wing options, along with Ricketts and perhaps Jackson as experienced back ups. I also think Aleman has what it takes to play as a winger. Wonder how he'd do on the right side of midfield cutting in on his left...

I hope Floro uses some actual wingers, not just banishing CM players to the wing (Osorio, Rusty, neither of which will beat his man with pace). Who does that leave? Petrasso if recovered from injury, Froese, De Jong, Tissot, Fisk? Petrasso looked good in u20s taking his men on and beating them. Although I suspect we'll see Ledgerwood and De Jong.....

We have quite a few good CMs: Hutch, Will Johnson (injury) Aleman, Piette, Rusty, Osorio...

Please no Kyle Bekker!

Johnson is back to full fitness. Played 3 USL games and is set to make his MLS debut this week.

I fully expect Johnson to get a call. He's fit now as you said. He can come off the bench for us as he needs a bit of time to play catch up with the group - and that's cool with me.

Read an article about Ouimette's emergance as a starter for NYRB. That's huge and flying under the radar a bit if you ask me. I really want to see him be rewarded for winning a CB spot on one of the top MLS teams this season.

Who do you take off though? Edgar is already in and Jakovic is the other starter you'd imagine....

Not that I think this will happen, but if it were me, i'd drop Hainault and call Ouimette for the 3rd CB slot and bring in James as the fourth. That is nothing against Hainault - he will play a significant role in qualifying and has a lot of experience. It's just that with Andre seeing very limited playing time on a club that just got relegated from the 2.Bundesliga, now'd be a great time to give two young guys a chance to become more familiar with the group while they still can. Squads will become harder to crack moving foward.

What about Ouimette at RB I know he's played a decent amount of fullback on both sides in the past and has been getting some playing time albeit at CB. Just a possibility not sure how likely it is.

Ouimette as a Fullback? Of course you'd suggest that...

Seriously though, not a bad idea to try him at RB. He's played there for MTL and is natually a right foot and has played LB for Floro so it wouldn't be a big adjustment. That being said - I am one of these guys who likes to see players in the same position they feature for their clubs. So, i'd be happiest to see Ouimette get a half or even a full game soley at CB during these June fixtures

Drop our most experienced defender?  Hainault has almost twice as many caps as Ouimette has professional appearances. There is more than enough room on the squad for both anyways, we have a little depth but not a lot.

We really need to stop being so fickle on these boards... so what if Hainault wasn't playing this year?  He is still one of our undisputed top defenders.  We can't be like other nations where you get dropped for not playing. He has played in 2 cycles and 3 Gold Cups and is only 28 years old.  If the situations were flipped and Hainault was in NY of course he would be starting and Ouimette would be on the bench for Aalen.  Let's not forget that Hainault was one of the better defenders in MLS during his time in the league.  He can also play across the whole backline making him a valuable asset.  His contract is up in June, so the fact he could presumably be playing in 3 Liga is irrelevant... if it was relevant to begin with.  

My 8 Defenders: Morgan, De Jong, Hainault, Edgar, Ouimette, Straith, Ledgerwood, Jakovic

Archived