WCQ June 11 & 16 - CanMNT v Dominica - Roster LEAKS

True Hainault and Ouimette would likely be in the same situation if they flipped clubs. So yes they are arguably at a similar level ability-wise, but the reality is that Ouimette has been playing recently and Hainault hasn't. You'd think Ouimette would be sharper and fitter if this trend continues into June.

True Hainault is the most experienced defender in the pool and is also in his prime, and true he is one of our top defenders. That being said, we can only play two CB's at a time and Jakovic is not only a better player (if you ask me), but is also in-season and starting in the J-league - so again, presumably shaper and fitter. Edgar has already been called and thus has the other starting spot.

So if we have Edgar and Jakovic as our starting CB's already, it becomes a question of: do we bring another experienced defender who's been lacking game time, or do we bring in a young defender and give him a taste of WCQ and reward him for earning minutes with New York?

The point about Hainault's positional flexibility is moot because Ouimette also plays multiple positions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could bring in both Hainault and Ouimette and drop James. A lot depends on the fitness of de Jong and Adekugbe. If neither is fit and able to go in June than Hainault and Ouimette will probably both be brought in as both can provide LB cover for Morgan (in addition to playing CB or RB). If the intention is to play one or both of Hainault and Ouimette at full back, the door opens possibly for James to come in as depth.

I don't rate Jakovic as well as Hainault and it doesn't seem Floro does either.  (I feel like you and I have had this exact same discussion RE: Jakovic vs. Hainault)

David Edgar hasn't been playing either so why does he get a free pass and starting spot but Hainault doesn't? 

If Hainault hasn't had matches recently and he isn't fit would it not be in our best interest to use the 2 Dominica matches to get him fit before the Gold Cup?  IMO, I think the matches are a great opportunity to get some of these guys who have been out of season ready for the Gold Cup.

I don't rate Jakovic as well as Hainault and it doesn't seem Floro does either.  (I feel like you and I have had this exact same discussion RE: Jakovic vs. Hainault)

David Edgar hasn't been playing either so why does he get a free pass and starting spot but Hainault doesn't? 

If Hainault hasn't had matches recently and he isn't fit would it not be in our best interest to use the 2 Dominica matches to get him fit before the Gold Cup?  IMO, I think the matches are a great opportunity to get some of these guys who have been out of season ready for the Gold Cup.

Id like to use the WCQ matches to qualify for the world cup.....

the time to "get some guys who have been out of season ready for the gold cup" is in gold cup training camp. not a FIFA world cup qualfier

Last thing we need is going on the road in Dominica and drawing because we gave guys who were out of shape and not playing a run out to prep for the gold cup.

Also Edgar was starting for a Championship club up until April. Hainault has played less than 45 minutes for a relegated B2 club in all of 2015. Big difference comparing the game activity of the two.

Milan borjan confirmed as called up to WCQ and Gold Cup per the source Vince posted in the Borjan thread. We have 4 players confirmed, a forward, midfielder, defender, and keeper.

June WCQ Confirmed:

Borjan

Edgar

Piette

Haber

I think Edgar has played more (at arguably a better level) but if we want to call it a draw rather than splitting hairs, I would say Edgar gets the nod over Hainault for his leadership/organizational skills and the fact he's been involved more in the lead up (Iceland friendlies-Guatamala/PR friendlies). Hard to take the most consistent piece out of your backline.

Where was Hainault by the way, was he injured or something? I can't remember seeing him feature for us since last fall...

Yeah I do recall discussing Jakovic versus Hainault with someone - forgot it was us who had that debate. Different strokes for different folks. I gotta point out though that you saying Floro rates Hainault more than Jakovic is an assumption. I guess we'll find out if that's true as we move closer to GC.

Speaking of GC - I don't think two qualifiers is going to get/keep Hainault fit and sharp. There is too much of a gap. It doesn't hurt certainly but I don't believe it's a good enough reason to select him over Ouimette (if it came down to one or the other). The benefit of getting Ouimette experience in a qualifier outweighs the benefit of helping Hainault to stay match ready for GC

I think Edgar has played more (at arguably a better level) but if we want to call it a draw rather than splitting hairs, I would say Edgar gets the nod over Hainault for his leadership/organizational skills and the fact he's been involved more in the lead up (Iceland friendlies-Guatamala/PR friendlies). Hard to take the most consistent piece out of your backline.

Where was Hainault by the way, was he injured or something? I can't remember seeing him feature for us since last fall...

Yeah I do recall discussing Jakovic versus Hainault with someone - forgot it was us who had that debate. Different strokes for different folks. I gotta point out though that you saying Floro rates Hainault more than Jakovic is an assumption. I guess we'll find out if that's true as we move closer to GC.

Speaking of GC - I don't think two qualifiers is going to get/keep Hainault fit and sharp. There is too much of a gap. It doesn't hurt certainly but I don't believe it's a good enough reason to select him over Ouimette (if it came down to one or the other). The benefit of getting Ouimette experience in a qualifier outweighs the benefit of helping Hainault to stay match ready for GC

We should also remember this is Dominica. Not exactly a world power. Giving some youth minutes isn't a bad thing at all.

Id like to use the WCQ matches to qualify for the world cup.....

the time to "get some guys who have been out of season ready for the gold cup" is in gold cup training camp. not a FIFA world cup qualfier

Last thing we need is going on the road in Dominica and drawing because we gave guys who were out of shape and not playing a run out to prep for the gold cup.

Also Edgar was starting for a Championship club up until April. Hainault has played less than 45 minutes for a relegated B2 club in all of 2015. Big difference comparing the game activity of the two.

It's called "match fitness", you can't get that in training.  If you think there is a big difference between not playing in 6 months and 2 months there isn't.. you're not match fit either way.  Of course both players have been training consistently, they are in the same boat.

The fact is that all non-domestic players will be out of season and not match fit.  We don't have much of a choice but to play them vs. Dominica but it's fine because it's nice prep for the Gold Cup.  

We'll see what Floro does...

Yeah I cannot wait to see who he selects in the end.

Regarding domestic-players vs non-domestic players:

I'd really like to see some roster decisions weighted on whether or not a player is in-season. Keegan, the fact is that European based players won't be match-ready doesn't mean we "don't have much of a choice". We can simply not select them - for the most part anyways.

There are now very few exceptions (Hutchinson the obvious one) where we can't live without a player. We are building some very good depth and it won't be long before match fitness becomes less of an issue.

------------------------------Borjan------------------------

Ledgerwood----Henry----Edgar-----de Jong

------------------Piette-------------Johnson---------------

Jackson--------------Hutchinson------------Edwini-Bonsu

------------------------------Haber-----------------------------

Stamatopolis

Occean

Ricketts

Jackovic

Hainault

Straith

D.Haber

---------------------------Borjan------------------------------

Henry----------Edgar------Jakovic-------de Jong

-------------------Johnson---Teibert--------------------

Akindele-----------Hutchinson-------------Osorio

------------------------------Larin-----------------------------

Roberts

Ouimette

Tissot

de Guzman

Aleman

Morgan

Cavallini

It's called "match fitness", you can't get that in training. If you think there is a big difference between not playing in 6 months and 2 months there isn't.. you're not match fit either way. Of course both players have been training consistently, they are in the same boat.

The fact is that all non-domestic players will be out of season and not match fit. We don't have much of a choice but to play them vs. Dominica but it's fine because it's nice prep for the Gold Cup.

We'll see what Floro does...

We shall. In floro we trust.

I'm starting to Wonder if those who really want to be in the MNT picture might be better off trying to break into MLS. Guys like Ricketts, Hainault, Jackson, Jakovic, REB... they might have better odds getting staying in/getting back into the team if they are in MLS getting playing time and competing in the same league as most of their teammates. It's also a lot easier for Floro to keep track of them and the travel would be a lot easier.

I'm starting to Wonder if those who really want to be in the MNT picture might be better off trying to break into MLS. Guys like Ricketts, Hainault, Jackson, Jakovic, REB... they might have better odds getting staying in/getting back into the team if they are in MLS getting playing time and competing in the same league as most of their teammates. It's also a lot easier for Floro to keep track of them and the travel would be a lot easier.

In the end what these guys are doing is earning a living. They're probably not in MLS because they can make more $$$$ elsewhere. 

No doubt playing in MLS would would have better odds in getting back in the canMNT than riding pine in 2nd or 3rd division europe. 

I'm sure that would be an option some would consider if the domestic situation weren't so effed up but it is and they'll have a better chance at a good career in Europe.

Archived