TFC II

mmd

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think common sense would tell us that the MLS clubs will use primarily MLS loanees and academy players.  Throughout the year it might be smart to grab a few players off other USL clubs that impress to get them in their system but for now I think you start off with guys you have a stake in at the moment.

I think common sense would tell us that the MLS clubs will use primarily MLS loanees and academy players.  Throughout the year it might be smart to grab a few players off other USL clubs that impress to get them in their system but for now I think you start off with guys you have a stake in at the moment.

Vancouver's team already consists of seven USL-specific players, including veteran Tyler Rosenlund. They are going to sign a couple of more as well. It will be foolish of teams to use more than a few academy players at at ime.

Yes but even academy-players need to be signed no? I just don't understand why it's taking so long. Caps have signed at least a couple of youngsters by now.

I'm talking about young pros, not academy players. The team fielded a decent lineup in friendlies with guys like Bono, Charpie, Thomas, Simonin, Davis, Mannella, Uccello, Rivas, Aparicio, Hamilton, Ramos, Lo Presti, Bernal, Doublette, Babouli, Roberts and Kaye. A few of those guys are young enough for the academy, but I'd rather see them with TFC II if they're good enough.

FC Montréal has a squad. They haven't named the players officially, but I can tell you that Zak Messoudi and Alessandro Riggi will be on the team. I'm guessing that they'll announce everyone at the same time.

Was shamrock asiking the same question when the Impact PDL squad didn't have players named? Probably not, and I would say that a bunch of the players from that team will be on FC Montréal. They've said that their team minus MLS players has an average of 20 years old. It's a development team with a certain number of MLS players. I don't think that having a roster named 2 weeks before or 3 days before makes a difference because the Impact isn't charging anything for that team. The players who will play on that team already know who they are. It doesn't matter if we don't know who they are right now.

I thought Messoudi was cut as an MLS-player? Anyway I get that it's not a top priority, but if you want have a couple of people show up for their games, it might be beneficial to occasionally give some info on the team. 

Messoudi was cut by the Impact but then they mentioned he could be given a shot with their USL squad, and now it seems he will indeed sign.

I thought Messoudi was cut as an MLS-player? Anyway I get that it's not a top priority, but if you want have a couple of people show up for their games, it might be beneficial to occasionally give some info on the team. 

I doubt any MLS team is really banking on making some cash at the gate for these teams.

I doubt any MLS team is really banking on making some cash at the gate for these teams.

I am sure they won't be making profit from these teams but I am sure there will be enough hard core following that the gate receipts will significantly subsidise their development teams.

I am sure they won't be making profit from these teams but I am sure there will be enough hard core following that the gate receipts will significantly subsidise their development teams.

Not just about profit but for the players as well. It's supposed to be pro-football. 

It's really nice to be able to keep draft picks in the system instead of signing them to MLS contracts.  This is really going to help us in particular catch a lot of players that fall through the cracks.  For instance guys like Beckie, Sodade etc. who have been drafted and let go by US teams.

The Impact doesn't care about people showing up for games. If 2000 people or 1 person shows up, it will give them the same gate revenue.

The Impact doesn't care about people showing up for games. If 2000 people or 1 person shows up, it will give them the same gate revenue.

Actually I think the opposite. They made the games free in the hope that many fans will show up to the games and provide a professional atmosphere, maybe sell some concessions and be a good marketing vehicle for the MLS team in the future with a lot of young fans/children in attendance.

Actually I think the opposite. They made the games free in the hope that many fans will show up to the games and provide a professional atmosphere, maybe sell some concessions and be a good marketing vehicle for the MLS team in the future with a lot of young fans/children in attendance.

I've been to couple of reserve league games and it hasn't been the case. Nothing (in concessions talking) was really open . Although the first game against TFC II could help them because they're playing a doubleheader with the Orlando game at Olympic Stadium for concessions, but I think that it will be the exception, not the rule.

Yes, why would they not try and make some money off of this? One of the repeatedly stated goals of the league is to have the young players play in a real professional environment with fans and meaningful games. We know the quality of the league is going to be very similar to NASL and those teams try and make a profit.

I think Toronto 2 will do very well when their stadium gets built and they get established in the next year or two, while Vancouver probably needs a more central home to get really good crowds and I can't say about FC Montreal.

Yes, why would they not try and make some money off of this? One of the repeatedly stated goals of the league is to have the young players play in a real professional environment with fans and meaningful games. We know the quality of the league is going to be very similar to NASL and those teams try and make a profit.

The more emphasis there is in making money, the less emphasis there will be in developing players.  The best way to get fans to the game is to win games.  The easiest way to win games in a league like this is to fill up your team with 25 year old journeymen or other players that have plateaued.  That's no good for any significant development, particularly for teams that are already making enough money at the MLS level.

I'd like to think MLSE knows that showcasing up and coming talent will be the draw...not winning. People are not going to buy tickets to see a winning team full of journeymen with TFC next door. They will buy tickets to see Canada's 17 years old soccer equivalent to Andrew Wiggins.

Jason Bent (TFC II head coach) already said TFC II is going to be TFC's Under 23 team with couple of first team players who need some playing time to get match fit for first team.

Can't say i was too worried, but good to hear nonetheless.

Archived