2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

talking about age, I know by saying this won't lower the avg age but if they land a proven goal scorer like Gilardino it would make for a good partnership with his former teamate from Fiorentina, Marco Donadel.  Maybe a plan B or for even more depth and star power would be signing Adrian Mutu, rumored before with the Impact 2 yrs ago, who's now a free agent.  Yes he's 35 but he also played with the Viola when they experienced success with Donadel and Gilardino - could make for a good bargaining chip and good chemistry.

its like someone from Fiorentia read my post. Both were on their radar. 

Anyways Im quite pleased with the proactivity of "Mr Braz". So far he has done a decent job compared to last years complacence. ;)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mixed feelings about the Oduro move. We were definitely expecting a bigger name signing but that seems to have fallen through and this seems to be a Plan B or C. We certainly needed another experienced striker as a back up to Jack Mac (who I am a big fan of). I think a lot of people are judging Oduro solely on his time with Toronto and ignoring what he did earlier in his career. I think he will play for us as a striker not a winger as he did with TFC which will suit him better. As for his finishing he had 13 and 12 goal seasons previously (one of which was under Klopas) so he can't be that bad. Di Viao was not a good finisher either (scored once for every 2 or 3 chances that he should have scored) but made a lot of chances so he put up decent numbers. I am expecting Jack Mac to be our starting striker in a formation with 2 wingers of whom Piatti will be a serious scoring threat as well. I expect Oduro to mostly play as a last 20 minute sub where his speed should be effective in exposing tired defenders. That being said it is certainly a risky move given his high salary and poor season with TFC but when you want to significantly improve a last place team you have to take some risks. If he gets back the form he had with Chicago and Colombus this will be a genius move but if he plays like he did with TFC he will be a high priced mistake. 

its like someone from Fiorentia read my post. Both were on their radar. 

Anyways Im quite pleased with the proactivity of "Mr Braz". So far he has done a decent job compared to last years complacence. ;)

These aren't Braz moves, they are Klopas moves. Braz may have some input but for the most part he is the guy doing the paperwork like Jordan was previously. Last year was the fault of NDS not Jordan or Klopas. This year Klopas needs to be given credit or take the blame for the offseason moves depending on how things turn out.

lol.

I sincerely hope that the Impact's opponents share your opinions and under prepare for games. 

They won't.

Is it possible to underestimate the Impact? Donadel was trashed by everyone who follows Serie A on twitter and wasn't even getting looks in Serie B, Bernier is at the end of his career, JGL is at the start of his and Mallace looks pretty average. I am not exaggerating when I say that I would play Laba, Koffie and Teibert over anyone on that list.

We certainly needed another experienced striker as a back up to Jack Mac (who I am a big fan of). 

Why was that? He hasn't showed much last season and I got the feeling Philly is still happy with that Wenger trade. In spite of Mac being the leagues topscorer at the time.

Is it possible to underestimate the Impact? Donadel was trashed by everyone who follows Serie A on twitter and wasn't even getting looks in Serie B, Bernier is at the end of his career, JGL is at the start of his and Mallace looks pretty average. I am not exaggerating when I say that I would play Laba, Koffie and Teibert over anyone on that list.

I agree with you that Laba, Koffie and Teibert are all very could midfielders in the MLS. In a few years I'd maybe take JGL over them. But Montreal also has Reo-Coker and Alexander now who are both good miss by MLS standards.

Comparing the skill level and potential of the top 3 center midfielders in Vamcouver and Monteal I'd take Vamcouvers. But if you take the central midfields as a whole I think monteals has much much more skilled depth.

These aren't Braz moves, they are Klopas moves. Braz may have some input but for the most part he is the guy doing the paperwork like Jordan was previously. Last year was the fault of NDS not Jordan or Klopas. This year Klopas needs to be given credit or take the blame for the offseason moves depending on how things turn out.

it was sarcasm hence the " " wouldnt be surprised if NDS still had influence. Happy they got the message and did something this year. its actually generated talk and interest unlike last year where it felt like there was no hype at all and rightfully so.

Those are great players but you had originally specifically mentioned CM and Teibert as a wide player is not  better than Mapp, Romero and certainly not as good as Piatti. The other 2 are defintely better than the 3 Impact players you metnioned but in classic troll form you negelcted to mention the two best CMs Impact have which are Reo Coker and Alexander. Alexander started every game for NYRB over the last two seasons and NRC has played poorly when unmotivated but up to his pedigree when he is motivated and if he is he will be at least as effective as the Caps players you mentioned.

Those are great players but you had originally specifically mentioned CM and Teibert as a wide player is not better than Mapp, Romero and certainly not as good as Piatti. The other 2 are defintely better than the 3 Impact players you metnioned but in classic troll form you negelcted to mention the two best CMs Impact have which are Reo Coker and Alexander. Alexander started every game for NYRB over the last two seasons and NRC has played poorly when unmotivated but up to his pedigree when he is motivated and if he is he will be at least as effective as the Caps players you mentioned.

FWIW, I think Teibert is better than Romero as a wide player, but yes certainly behind Mapp and Piatti. Also, NRC and Alexander are not far off the pace of the Vancouver CM's

Those are great players but you had originally specifically mentioned CM and Teibert as a wide player is not better than Mapp, Romero and certainly not as good as Piatti. The other 2 are defintely better than the 3 Impact players you metnioned but in classic troll form you negelcted to mention the two best CMs Impact have which are Reo Coker and Alexander. Alexander started every game for NYRB over the last two seasons and NRC has played poorly when unmotivated but up to his pedigree when he is motivated and if he is he will be at least as effective as the Caps players you mentioned.

FWIW, I think Teibert is better than Romero as a wide player, but yes certainly behind Mapp and Piatti. Also, NRC and Alexander are not far off the pace of the Vancouver CM's, if at all.

FWIW, I think Teibert is better than Romero as a wide player, but yes certainly behind Mapp and Piatti. Also, NRC and Alexander are not far off the pace of the Vancouver CM's, if at all.

I agree with this. I'm not sold on Romero he had a decent year last year but there were times when he disappeared. He won MVP of a last place team with a lot of players that struggled. I think the major reason he won it was because he improved so much from 2013 and because Mapp was injured most of the second half of the year. I hope he doesn't pull a Felipe where he just regresses.

Interesting about Marcel de Jong. http://soccerazo.com/marcel-de-jong-sera-este-o-dp-dos-montreal-impact/ I think it says he has had his contract terminated and that FC Dallas and the Rapids are interested. If Oyongo is indeed holding out and refusing to come here then he would be an interesting choice. Though certainly not as a DP as they speculate in the article :).

Those are great players but you had originally specifically mentioned CM and Teibert as a wide player is not  better than Mapp, Romero and certainly not as good as Piatti. The other 2 are defintely better than the 3 Impact players you metnioned but in classic troll form you negelcted to mention the two best CMs Impact have which are Reo Coker and Alexander. Alexander started every game for NYRB over the last two seasons and NRC has played poorly when unmotivated but up to his pedigree when he is motivated and if he is he will be at least as effective as the Caps players you mentioned.

That's untrue, Teibert was being played at CM at the end of last year and would still be considered third on the depth chart there.

Nigel was pretty far off the pace last season.

He fell out of favour after showing up to training camp out of shape and then the famous bicycle injury. He did play well for Chivas when he was traded there. He seems to have shown up in good condition for camp this year so that is a good sign:

Nigel was pretty far off the pace last season.

Yup, he was. But, if you average out his play over his two seasons in Vancouver, I think you get a rather fair assesment of where he stands, which would be either just off the pace, or equivalent to Vancouvers CM's. Just my opinon though.

That being said, too many factors to say how he'll preform this year. New club, new system, one year older yet also one year more comfortable with the league. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I hope he can do well there.

Guys, this might actually be the first year all three Canadian teams make the play offs. All three teams looking strong right now.

Guys, this might actually be the first year all three Canadian teams make the play offs. All three teams looking strong right now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE   :)

The west will be tougher this year than last. How is the east conf looking? Aside from TFC & Impact I've not bothered track what other teams are doing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE   :)

The west will be tougher this year than last. How is the east conf looking? Aside from TFC & Impact I've not bothered track what other teams are doing.

NYRB - Marsch in - Petke out. Adding Kjlesjan from Anderlecht but lost Henry, Cahill and Dax McCarthy. Can't see how they don't dip.

DCU - haven't added anyone so far. If you're not growing - you're dying.

COL - Added Kai Kamara from Middlesborough and a 22 yo Congolese winger from Real Betis (on loan at Osasuna). Think they'll be good.

NYCFC - Have a feeling that whole thing will be a disaster. Bad karma with the Lampard situation. Added Mix though..

ORL - Under the radar but have a pretty good squad built up, they'll challenge for playoffs

NE - Added Agudelo but rumors are that Fagundez is going to Europe. Should be in the top half again

CHI - Added Nigerian and Ghanaian DP strikers. Both are under 25 and scored bundles of goals in Swedish top flight. Latter is with Ghana at ACON. Added Scottish playmaker from Wigan as 3rd DP, can't remember his name but is 32, played several seasons in the EPL with Aston Villa and Wigan. Also played with Celtic. Most technical Scot around, apparently. Anyways, they should be in the mix.

PHI - Haven't done anything much but have a decent squad last year even though they never achieved anything. Okugo is gone to Orlando.

Early season predictions

1. Columbus

2. New England

3. Toronto

4. Orlando

5. Chicago

6. Montreal

7. NYRB

8. DCU

9. PHI

10. NYCFC

Might as well do the west...

1. Seattle

2. LAG

3. RSL

4. Houston

5. SKC

6. Vancouver

7. Portland

8. San Jose

9. Colorado

Dax McCarty is still with NYRB and Cahill is as well though he'll be gone.  Still valid point about NYRB regressing.  I think they'll be decent still though.. BWP, Dax, Sacha pretty decent core.

Chicago is my pick after Toronto for best off season.  We had the flash and names in Toronto but Yallop's pick ups may end up being more effective, the man has an eye for talent in this league. 

DCU didn't add but I disagree with the "not growing, dying" comment.  As we've seen in this league many of the best teams are the ones that keep a winning core in tact (SKC, Houston). 

Interesting rumor about 8 million over two years for Di Natale, coming from an MLS club... Wouldn't be that surprised if it was IMFC based on the necessity of a good striker, the fact that it's a apparently the same agent as Donadel, and the fact that they will have to pay up at this stage having missed out plans A and maybe B already. Personally even though he fits squarely into the old Italian category, I would be into it as he still does it

in Series A.

Archived