2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they're "claiming" it.  Isn't it rightfully theirs?

you have exclusive rights 75km from your home city IIRC (with certain exceptions for teams close to each other)

basically, anyone else outside the area is a free for all

you have exclusive rights 75km from your home city IIRC (with certain exceptions for teams close to each other)

basically, anyone else outside the area is a free for all

It's 75 miles but that's just TFC (and possibly other clubs with large urban centres). Other clubs have much bigger cachement areas like RSL gets Utah and Arizona, VWFC get western Canada etc.

Sounds like the Montreal fanbase is tuning the team out? The following article says there are only 5000 season tickets sold, and Saputo is not thrilled about that....

When the Impact made the jump to MLS in 2012, they were third in ticket sales in the then 19-team league. By 2014, they were down to 11th and they fear they will be 13th this season. They have sold only about 5,000 season tickets.

He said the Impact fell $2 million short in their ticket sales target last season.

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/sports-story/5322660-saputo-disappointed-in-lack-of-impact-buzz/

For those of you who want to know more about what Joey Saputo said:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/joey-saputo-aims-to-bring-buzz-back-to-montreal-impact-1.2945435

My two cents: Mr. Saputo, hire people with management experience to run the team and stop giving plum posts to "loyal" members of the Impact entourage. The team is only as bad as the people who made the deals to bring in the players they did. Nick De Santis was not a good choice to be technical director. Adam Braz is not a good choice to be technical director. When you hire someone who knows how to manage a team, it will get better. Oh and by the way...there are other places to get soccer players than Italy,. Just saying.

Oh and stop crying poor. You wanted to be in MLS and made a huge deal about it, prepare to open your wallet. If this is too expensive for you, sell the team and go back to USL.

Montreal has made some great off season moves, but the MTL fan base is different than Toronto in that hype and signs of promise aren't enough to get butts in the seats out there. They want to see a winning team before they commit. Some might see that as fickle or bandwagonish, while others may consider it self respecting and keeping the club honest, because results do matter.

Nonetheless, I hope the Impact compete this year and hope they can get many people back on board.

Montreal has made some great off season moves, but the MTL fan base is different than Toronto in that hype and signs of promise aren't enough to get butts in the seats out there. They want to see a winning team before they commit. Some might see that as fickle or bandwagonish, while others may consider it self respecting and keeping the club honest, because results do matter.

Nonetheless, I hope the Impact compete this year and hope they can get many people back on board.

And that's why the HABs are where they are............. and the LEAFs...need I say more.

Montreal sports fans will show owners what they think of their teams by not showing up to games....

Toronto sports fans.....once again need I say more.....Torontonians are like SHEEP!!!!

Perhaps Mr Saputo should be focusing his energy on the Impact, and not Bologna?

I thought the same a while back. I have since changed my mind, it could work to benefit MTL. It might be a win win for both teams such as player development, maybe even sponsorship and Player exposure???????

Many of the local media are writing that Saputo's comments are dangerous and could easily backfire. The Journal de Montreal writes that the honeymoone between the Impact/MLS and Quebeckers is over. They are comparing Saputo's comments to what Claude Brochu (of the Expos) said just before he sold the team. I think the crux of the problem is that Saputo is frustrated the Impact haven't taken more space in Montreal's sports landscape. The thing he is forgetting is that Montreal lives and breathes The Canadiens. Period. There was a time when we loved the Expos but as the team became less and less competitive, we got upset and stopped going to games. There will always be Montrealers to support the Alouettes and the Impact but it will never, ever come close to how we support the Canadiens. The Als have done a good job in developping their audience and they realize they will never be able to compete with the hockey team. The Impact and specifically Mr. Saputo have delusions of grandeur. Just because you joined MLS doesn't mean people will come running to the games. The team has to be competitive and show that it is progressing. I did not go to any games last year and will not go this year. I simply don't care about them and find them unbelievably arrogant. If Saputo makes some major changes like bringing in some real soccer people to run the show, I will take that as a sign they are serious about soccer in Montreal. Otherwise, who cares?

Regarding the Oyongo saga : Someone wasn't doing their job obviously at the Impact and in MLS

That's unfair to the Impact. The de Sanctis thing has been ridiculous but they've had a reasonable off-season this year and the Impact have one of the best academies in MLS, reaching all the way down to U-9 and all the way up to the new USL team. Oyongo is a difficult situation but it certainly doesn't seem like his FA is in the right here.

I agree they have to do better on the field but Saputo is far from the worst owner in the league.

Karl Ouimette released.  To say that Canadian soccer is in bad shape would be an understatement. 

USL Pro was supposed to give guys like Karl a chance to play but he has now been released from a club where two years ago they called him a future star in the league!!  How is he released before Montreal FC kicks a ball? 

I really hope that Karl has options elsewhere and that's why they released him.

And that's why the HABs are where they are............. and the LEAFs...need I say more.

Montreal sports fans will show owners what they think of their teams by not showing up to games....

Toronto sports fans.....once again need I say more.....Torontonians are like SHEEP!!!!

Right and would you call the people across Europe who support their team every year dispite zero chance of winning sheep? Sounds like the people in Montreal are no better than the man United supporters from Dagenham.

Right and would you call the people across Europe who support there team every year dispute zero chance of winning sheep? Sounds like the people in Montreal are no better than the man United supporters from Dagenham.

People who support losing teams drink kook aid and are sheeple!  Real fans only sing when they're winning.

Shocked about Ouimette, let's see if another MLS team takes him.

didn't really see Ouimette getting a lot of minutes this year. I see him more with FC Montreal or Ottawa. Maybe he'll be back in the MLS in a few years after getting more playing time somewhere. 

Archived