2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

The thing with trading for Ambroise Oyongo is that the Red Bulls want to much and Oyongo might be heading to Europe pretty soon especially if he keeps impressing with Cameroon. The Red Bulls want the top allocation slot with Felipe for Oyongo which makes the trade essentially Kljestan and Felipe for Oyongo, which for me is crazy.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this trade. We got two starters from a team better than us and got rid of Issey and Felipe who were at best backup players with deep flaws in their abilities. Plus we get allocation money and an international spot which hopefully we will use on signing another striker. Yes we also give up the allocation pick for Klejstan who is the key player in the deal from New York's perspective but he was never going to sign with us anyway and also did not fit into our plans as far as building the team so we may as well get something for him. Issey and Felipe are very similar players and popular and overrated because they have some creative moves but in the end neither of them could finish or make a good final pass or cross so most of the what they did went to waste. And they were both poor defensively and Felipe's constant diving made refs hate us. Both were overpaid and Issey did not have a great attitude. Both would have struggled to find playing time in a midfield with Piatti, Donadel, Mapp, Romero, Reo-Coker and Duka and may have even found themselves behind Tissot on the depth chart who is less flashy but a better finisher and passer and far better defensively. It is a good trade, one of a number of solid though not flashy moves in the offseason and if we sign one more good striker we will have a good team next year.

Well, it's a moot point, but Montreal's midfield is definitely not full centrally. Felipe is gone, Bernier is pretty much done and Mallace is pretty average.

I disagree. That is where the Impact have the most depth.

At CDM we have Reo-Coker, Donadel, Bernier, Mallace, Gognon-Lapare and Alexander now. Even Camara and Lefevre have played here when the team was in the NASL and while in the academy. Most of the guys here can play as a regular CM too.

AT CAM we have Piatti, Duka and Romero and some of the guys  mentioned above can play here as well.

Those guys at CDM are all huge question marks, e.g. I would not put any of them at any more than fourth best on Vancouver's depth chart at that position.

lol.

I sincerely hope that the Impact's opponents share your opinions and under prepare for games. 

They won't.

Those guys at CDM are all huge question marks, e.g. I would not put any of them at any more than fourth best on Vancouver's depth chart at that position.

This comment is a bit off the mark in my opinion.

Donadel is a question mark by default because he hasn't played in this league, but I think we can get away with the assumption that he'll do a good job in MLS. Bernier and NRC are obviously not spectacular, but they do rank somewhere between servicable and respectable on a league-wide scale. Nothing wrong with them. Mallace and JGL are the only ones i'd classify as below average, but both are close to that "average" category in my opinion.

So, I think Montreal's CM will be just fine. In fact, the whole squad is beginning to fill out rather nicely.

BTW, I think Alexander can play out wide as well as centrally, no?

After going over the starting lineups for the Red Bulls this year Alexander has played pretty much everywhere in the midfield.

Here what I got based off the formation:

4-4-2 played centre mid 11 times left mid 10 times and right mid once

4-1-2-1-2  played the centre/left mid position once
4-3-3 played the centre/left mid position once
4-2-3-1 played CDM 11 times and Right attacking mid once

After going over the starting lineups for the Red Bulls this year Alexander has played pretty much everywhere in the midfield.

Here what I got based off the formation:

4-4-2 played centre mid 11 times left mid 10 times and right mid once

4-1-2-1-2  played the centre/left mid position once
4-3-3 played the centre/left mid position once
4-2-3-1 played CDM 11 times and Right attacking mid once

correct. he's an utility midfielder. jack of all trades, master of none. I'd put his best position as CM in a supporting role

Like the addition of Oduro as a depth forward but yeah the salary could be a problem. Hopefully IMFC is using allocation to lower it or they could be banking on the salary cap going up so it won't be as bad.

I still think we might get lucky and add a DP striker before the Pachuca games on a shorter deal and then maybe another won in the summer. But I'm not as sure about the one coming before the Champions league games as I was at the start of the week.

Bottom line is that we are getting a lot better than when the season finished.

Archived