2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally a non-terrible Montreal move. First one in two years.

That is not true at all. All 4 signings this offseason have been good in my opinion (Donadel, Reo-Coker, Kronberg and Toia). Also we made a few good moves during the season last year like the trade of Jack Mac (fantastic trade), the trade for Duka and even the Issey deal was decent. What screwed our season last year is we did nothing in the offseason other than to cut/trade players without replacing them with NDS somehow believing our young players would become MLS starters for some unknown reason (incompetence). Actually most of the moves that Klopas has made have been good although Krol has so far disappointed. The problem was he came in at the end of the offseason last year and the team that NDS gave him was so terrible it was hard to fix without a full offseason. The team did improve over the course of the season last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not sold on Klopas.  Still boggles my mind how Marsh and Shalibaum get axed with good seasons and Klopas is still around after tanking one.  And not only has he not proven anything but comes off stale and a bore compared to the charm and charisma of the former.  

Yeah Marco was a volcano, but he was passionate, he was someone you wanted to watch and listen to with his comments. He also was able to communicate and connect with the local population and media.  He was creative with his team building exercises - something that was not there last season. Did he really lose the room half-way through the season? Meh - not so sure.  They should've given him the benefit of the doubt and kept him aboard the year they promised him in order to work out his learning curve of the league.  

Now that Klopas has been given "the reigns", (if that can be believed),  this will be the season he'll have to show dividends and I hope he proves me wrong cause I want to see the team winning again. If he's still around after another bust - than we are all fools.

Impact last place?  Good thing there's no relegation in MLS. Hard to believe the club even allowed that to happen given the tradition of sports in this city and the culture of the fans here. No one wants to spend their hard earned dollar to watch a team lose. People have enough grief living in this province paying off the elite's negligence and mismanagement.

Would anyone spend their money to get a kick in the nads?  Unless you're into that fetish, I didn't think so.

I agree with soccerpro on this one. The Impact, while making a few decent moves in the form of NRC and Donadel, still have a lot of work left. They need a marquee striker and a legitimate, proven, experienced, but still in his prime centre back.

When I look at this roster, I don't see anyone, aside from Piatti, that will win the game for them. Vancouver for example, can look to Morales, Manneh (who is inconsistent, but incredibly dangerous late in games), and even Rosales to provide you with something in the dying moments. In Toronto, obviously Defoe, if he returns, can always give you a chance to win. Gilberto can create and show flashes of brilliance, even Luke Moore gives you the sense an equalizer or a match-winner can happen.

Mabye that is what soccerpro meant when we said we're seeing the same strategy from the Impact? To me, I consider the roster and think "This is still the same, dull, stale Impact side that has very few attacking threats".

I really want to see a BIG SPLASH before the window closes. Bring in a DP that will inspire confidence in the squad and strike fear in the opponents.

I agree with soccerpro on this one. The Impact, while making a few decent moves in the form of NRC and Donadel, still have a lot of work left. They need a marquee striker and a legitimate, proven, experienced, but still in his prime centre back.

When I look at this roster, I don't see anyone, aside from Piatti, that will win the game for them. Vancouver for example, can look to Morales, Manneh (who is inconsistent, but incredibly dangerous late in games), and even Rosales to provide you with something in the dying moments. In Toronto, obviously Defoe, if he returns, can always give you a chance to win. Gilberto can create and show flashes of brilliance, even Luke Moore gives you the sense an equalizer or a match-winner can happen.

Mabye that is what soccerpro meant when we said we're seeing the same strategy from the Impact? To me, I consider the roster and think "This is still the same, dull, stale Impact side that has very few attacking threats".

I really want to see a BIG SPLASH before the window closes. Bring in a DP that will inspire confidence in the squad and strike fear in the opponents.

Yes, same dull side, just with more guys aged 30+.

Mapp and Piatti are good, the rest, not so much. Their draft strategy has been mind boggling as well.

NRC was horrible last season and overpaid, no clue what the Impact are thinking there. 

I'm pretty sure that NRC won't be on the same salary. Last year, the team lacked depth lack it was crazy in central midfield. Although I agree that they need a centreback and a forward.I think that if they get those two players, they'll be fine. It's not like you need a ton to make the playoffs in this conference anyways. I'm just asking, what is wrong with having 30+ year old guys? They need to right the ship and those players have another year in them., it's not like any of them are 35 (aside from Bernier who is a player that the club had to sign for PR reasons)  The oldest player after is 31. They know what their signings will bring to the table. The goal for the Impact has always been to make the playoffs now. They've had an horrible year, and the team that they have will be in the mix for the playoffs, that's the only thing that really matters really. Could they win the MLS Cup.? Probably not, but they have tons of midfielders so they can not burn the players early one.

Still I agree that Klopas needs a good first 10 games (Although he's even said 5 himself) to keep his job.

talking about age, I know by saying this won't lower the avg age but if they land a proven goal scorer like Gilardino it would make for a good partnership with his former teamate from Fiorentina, Marco Donadel.  Maybe a plan B or for even more depth and star power would be signing Adrian Mutu, rumored before with the Impact 2 yrs ago, who's now a free agent.  Yes he's 35 but he also played with the Viola when they experienced success with Donadel and Gilardino - could make for a good bargaining chip and good chemistry.

I don't see how a player could be much more reliant on service than Di Viao was. He could occasionally create and combine with the midfield but did it far too seldom. Mostly he would stand beside the last defender and try to get sprung on a pass that was just barely onside. McInerney is more of a striker who will consistently come back and make plays with the midfield than Di Viao was.

Gilardino scored 5 goals in 14 matches in China which is pretty respectable though not as good as his 15 goals in 36 matches he scored in Serie A the year before. The Impact's strength is in midfield so I am not that worried about having a striker who needs service.

I don't see how a player could be much more reliant on service than Di Viao was. He could occasionally create and combine with the midfield but did it far too seldom. Mostly he would stand beside the last defender and try to get sprung on a pass that was just barely onside. McInerney is more of a striker who will consistently come back and make plays with the midfield than Di Viao was.

There are different types of strikers. I guess by chance I played/play the same way as Di Viao, so I know how difficult it can be. I have all the respect for any forward who is consitent no matter their strengths. No real point to this comment, just saw your comparison of strikers.

Archived