2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

Evan Bush signed to a contract extension today:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2014/11/impact-signs-goalkeeper-evan-bush-new-contract

This has to be a sign that Perkins is really on his way out.

Nice little quote from the article is that we only have 5 other players under contract:

"The American keeper joins five other players who are still under contract for next season: defenders Eric Miller, Adrian Lopez and Krzysztof Król, as well as midfielders Ignacio Piatti and Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé."

So out of 6 players 2 are definite starters (Bush and Piatti)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, trying to check who I would protect. I'm assuming that all homegrown signings and that Miller are protected and that DiVaio has retired from MLS. (safe to assume but still.) Bernier and Romero are huge question marks if signed or not. Because if signed before, they will be protected, but if not, they might make them available. Excluding Academy players and players not renegotiating with the Impact, I'm counting 18 players available. So only 7 players have to be made available.

Exempt: Béland-Goyette, Gagnon-Laparé, Ouimette, Tissot, Miller, Crépeau, Jackson-Hamel, Lefèvre

So, that leaves:

I'm going to use a code

Bold: Can't see the guy unprotected

Bold and italic: I think that he will be protected, but could be otherwise

Italic: I think that he will be unrpotected, but could be otherwise

Nothing: Clearly not protected

Domestics: Bush, Toia, Pearce, Smith, Mallace, Duka, Mapp, McInerney

Internationals: Soriola, Camara, Krol, Lopez, Felipe, Piatti, Nakajima-Farran, Bernier, Gonzalez, Romero

Ok, trying to check who I would protect. I'm assuming that Lefèvre is the only homegrown signing not on a homegrown contract (he's older than 24) and that Miller is protected as a GA and that DiVaio has retired from MLS. (safe to assume but still.) Bernier and Romero are huge question marks if signed or not. Because if signed before, they will be protected, but if not, they might make them available. Excluding Academy players and players not renegotiating with the Impact, I'm counting 19 players available. So only 8 players have to be made available.

Exempt: Béland-Goyette, Gagnon-Laparé, Ouimette, Tissot, Miller, Crépeau, Jackson-Hamel

So, that leaves:

I'm going to use a code

Bold: Can't see the guy unprotected

Bold and italic: I think that he will be protected, but could be otherwise

Italic: I think that he will be unrpotected, but could be otherwise

Nothing: Clearly not protected

Domestics: Bush, Toia, Pearce, Smith, Mallace, Duka, Mapp, McInerney

Internationals: Soriola, Camara, Krol, Lefèvre, Lopez, Felipe, Piatti, Nakajima-Farran, Bernier, Gonzalez, Romero

Note that Romero and Bernier, Pearce and Soriola are right now  without a contract. I'm anticipating that they'll sign the first two hence their protection.

Not 100%, but I am pretty sure that Issey and Bernier qualify as Domestics for the draft. Same goes for Lefevre since he has his permanent residency

Romero has been on loan for the past two seasons so technically he isn't property of the Impact, he is still property of his Argentinian club. 

All Montreal has to do is wait until after the expansion draft to buy him or renegotiate another loan deal.

Even if he's on loan, his MLS rights are still owned by Montreal. So, he would need to be protected also because he's still part of their roster even though his loan deal with the Impact will end by the end of the year. So, NY or Orlando could pick him and negotiate after the expansion draft.

And what is with you guys that we can't figure out? I'm starting to get a complex here whenever we face you. Your U18 team just beat ours 1-0 in the Florida showcase. It seems you have our number at more than one level. It's beginning to weird me out. Congrats on the win and good luck with the rest of the tournament down there.

Don't like the addition of Donadel. Might mean Bernier isn't coming back and it adds a player to the protected list for the expansion draft. They could have added him after the draft and not worry about protecting him.

Presser at 1 so hopefully we get some real answers.

Donadel should be added to the roster in jan

Yup you're right they released that after my comment.

It's a good thing that he doesn't need to be protected otherwise it'd be a really stupid news.

Some good news out of the phone conference is that it sounds like there has been good progress in the Bernier contract talks

So, the Impact have protected unsigned Romero and Bernier alongside Bush, Camara, Felipe, Mallace, Smith, Duka, Mapp, Piatti and McInerney. It leaves unprotected the likes of Gonzalez, Issey, Krol, Lopez, Soriola and Toia, who either are signed or in negotiations with the Impact.

Bernier is back!

Midfield looks full now, people are talking that Felipe might leave.

I like the addition of Nigel Reo-Cocker, he's pretty much what the impact lacked in midfield since Arnaud  left last year. The only thing I have against him is his salary and the cap hit that comes with it.

Nice pickup - solid competition for Bush and if not good backup. Takes pressure off Crepeau in the near term, but leaves the door open, just a little.  Crepeau will get regular games with the USL League, and come up if there are injuries.

What is the view on the board about losing Heath Pierce?  A big meh?  We surely need some new looks on defence. 

Archived