2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

So, it starts.

IN:

Donny Toia (Dispersal Draft)

Marco Donadel (Free Agent Signing)

Nigel Reo-Coker (Waiver Draft)

Erik Kronberg (Re-Entry Draft Phase one)

Bakary Soumaré (Re-Entry Draft Phase two)

Victor Cabrera (loan from River Plate)

Romario Williams (SuperDraft #3 Pick/ generation adidas)

Laurent Ciman (Free Agent Signing)

Ambroise Oyongo (trade from Energy Drinks)

Eric Alexander (trade from Energy Drinks)

Dominic Oduro (trade from Toronto)

Kristian Nicht (Short-term loan)C

Cameron Porter (Superdraft 3rd round pick signing)

OUT:

Marco Di Vaio (retired)

James Bissue (option declined)

Futty Danso (end of contract)

Matteo Ferrari (option declined)

Zakaria Messoudi (option declined)

Troy Perkins (end of contract)

Gorka Larrea (option declined)

Heath Pearce (expansion draft to Orlando)

Gege Soriola (option declined)

Issey Nakajima-Farran (waived)

Felipe (trade to Energy Drinks)

Karl W. Ouimette (waived)

Krzyztof Krol (bought out)

UNSIGNED PLAYER IN MEXICO

FW Fabio Morelli

AWOL

Ambroise Oyongo (may or may not be owned by the Impact)

Adrian Lopez (He's recovering from his second ACL tear)

Santiago Gonzalez (Was a flop, expect him loaned out somewhere in Uruguay)

THE TEAM RIGHT NOW

GK: Bush, Crépeau, Kronberg, Nicht

DF: Lopez, Miller, Toia, Camara, Lefèvre, Tissot, Soumaré, Cabrera, Ciman, Oyongo

MF: Gagnon-Laparé, Piatti, Mapp, Duka, Mallace, Smith, Béland-Goyette, Donadel, Reo-Coker, Bernier, Romero, Alexander

FW: Jackson-Hamel, Mcinerney, Williams, Gonzalez, Oduro, Porter

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it starts.

OUT:

Marco Di Vaio (retired)

James Bissue (option declined)

Futty Danso (end of contract)

Matteo Ferrari (option declined)

Zakaria Messoudi (option declined)

What was the point of signing Zakaria Messoudi to a 1st team contract, celebrating this achievement to no end in the media by the club, only to essentially cut him a little more than a year later? I dont see how a player could lose all their promise or poential ability in one year.

On the bright side, I think the impact can turn this thing around pretty quickly like D.C United did if they are realistic about their shortcomings this time around, which it seems they are.

What was the point of signing Zakaria Messoudi to a 1st team contract, celebrating this achievement to no end in the media by the club, only to essentially cut him a little more than a year later? I dont see how a player could lose all their promise or poential ability in one year.

On the bright side, I think the impact can turn this thing around pretty quickly like D.C United did if they are realistic about their shortcomings this time around, which it seems they are.

Meh, it happens to every homegrown signing at a MLS club. It's more to say that we're developing footballers. Remember that they have an USL PRO team. They may think that he's more than 1 year away from making it in MLS. They could sign him at FC Montréal and see where it goes..Klopas has said that MFC is an opportunity for him, so they're not cutting all ties with him. It's up to Messoudi to choose between USL PRO or trying his shot abroad.

Disturbing but not surprising especially since we were told he was going to get an administrative position but then when they announced the position it was clearly not administrative. Still at the very least his new position will probably have him outside the country a lot so his influence on the team on a daily basis will be at least diminished from what it has been.

Hope to see some players from Bologna play in Montreal.

I like that they have a Europen look to them.

I think bringing over some Eroupean players will help the Young Impact Kids/Academy develop.

What ever happened to the Fiorentina player that was in Montreal a few weeks back.

I hope Montreal make some good moves this offseason. I appreciate they're commitment to young Canadians, but this season was just woeful - I think Chivas even had more points :( 

I really question whether or not the support is strong enough to deal with 2 horrendous seasons in a row. I don't think it is but I hope i'm wrong.

Marco Donnadel. De Santis brought him to train. Perhaps that they'll sign him to bolster depth in midfield. I don't expect anything official until next year.

Donnadel would not be depth in midfield he would be our starting attacking central midfielder so Piatti could play in his proper position on the wing. We haven't had a central attacking midfielder at a high enough level since we have joined MLS.

I hope Montreal make some good moves this offseason. I appreciate they're commitment to young Canadians, but this season was just woeful - I think Chivas even had more points :(

I really question whether or not the support is strong enough to deal with 2 horrendous seasons in a row. I don't think it is but I hope i'm wrong.

As much as I hope Klopas is up to the job and we have a good team next year, if we don't a year of really poor attendance might teach Saputo and team management a well needed lesson.

Donnadel would not be depth in midfield he would be our starting attacking central midfielder so Piatti could play in his proper position on the wing. We haven't had a central attacking midfielder at a high enough level since we have joined MLS.

I think that Donadel would start as a central midfielder alongside Bernier if he stays next year. I haven't seen him play, but from what I've read he's a central midfielder. I don't know if he can play as our starting attacking midfielder. I meant depth because we wouldn't be forced to start the likes of Felipe because he's not a guy that can play 90 minutes. If he signs, I would fully expect him to start.

Bernier is usually playing as a defensive midfielder for us. From what I have read about Donadel he is a central attacking midfielder who distributes well but does not score very often who can also play defensive mid. Whether we sign Donadel or not we certainly need a central midfielder who can distribute the ball and control play, we haven't had one since joining MLS. I like Felipe but he should not be a starter in this league, he is just lacking in too many areas. He should be coming in for the last 20 minutes of games if we need a goal. Piatti is a winger and though he is skilled and possibly could develop into a central attacking midfielder so far I haven't seen the ball distribution skills from him yet that we need in that position. He is a constant scoring threat and putting him in the middle gives him a lot of opportunity to score but at the moment I am not sure it will be good for the other attacking players having him in the middle. 

Which young Canadians do Impact supporters think will be key players in the next couple years? Will Tissot and Gagnon-Lapare begin to start regularly? What about Ouimette, Jackson-Hamel and Beland-Goyette, are they only going to continue to get casual minutes?

I think that it depends on what will happen with Gagnon-Laparé. He's got interest and could be sold to an European team. I could see him play in a midfield 3 next year with Bernier Donadel (Italian media said that it was a done deal). If Canada qualifies for the U20 WC, and he performs well in it, I wouldn't be surprised that he gets sold. Tissot will probably get a shot next year. For the others, I really don't know, it all depends of what they'll do this off-season. I think that Béland-Goyette and Choinière are the ones to watch for the next couple of years.

Also, there's a good chance that Occéan is coming to Montréal this offseason. According to Phillip Hamerling of Le Footeur, it was said to Occéan that the Impact told him to stay at Kaiserslautern, so they could offer him something.

Who was behind Piatti signing anyways? NDS? Jordan? Seems he was tracked by IMFC for a while?

I believe that it was NDS, because I don't think that Jordan was doing a lot of scouting for players outside of the US and Canada. NDS has gone to mulitple trips in Argentina.

Jordan's a class act. I wish him the best in Houston.

It would be hilarious if Occean and Donadel were next year's big signings. Don't ever change, Saputo.

They are not going to be the only signings or the big signings but Donadel would be a solid signing and Occean would be a 50/50 singing with equal chance of being great or poor but possibly worth taking a chance on depending on the salary demand.

According to Arcadio Marcuzzi's favourite Argentinian radio, the Impact has been linked with Diego Milito, Santiago Silva and Mario Yepes. So, they're looking at the really short term there. Although, it's likely that it's just talk by the player's agent to have a better offer next year.

Archived