2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

And that's why the HABs are where they are............. and the LEAFs...need I say more.

Montreal sports fans will show owners what they think of their teams by not showing up to games....

Toronto sports fans.....once again need I say more.....Torontonians are like SHEEP!!!!

Right. Like from 98-03 when the Habs finished with a losing record 3 of 5 years and missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. And attendance averaged 96% of capacity at the Bell Centre.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a lot more hype in Toronto than in Montreal. If Montreal had the money to spend added 2 DPs this winter especially someone of Giovinco's star power they'd already have sold 30,000  seats for the Pachuca game and they'd be expecting more. Thing is there just isn't as much to hype for the Impact as there is for Toronto

There's been a lot more hype in Toronto than in Montreal. If Montreal had the money to spend added 2 DPs this winter especially someone of Giovinco's star power they'd already have sold 30,000  seats for the Pachuca game and they'd be expecting more. Thing is there just isn't as much to hype for the Impact as there is for Toronto

Really? If you're comparing the Impact's hype and season ticket sales to Toronto compare them to TFC's 4th season not their current one.

Kryzstof Krol didn't accompany the team to Mexico and he even dropped the Impact mention on his twitter bio. He's as good as gone from what I've read.

To note, 2 players not on MLS contracts will join the Impact in Mexico: draftee Cameron Porter and Academy player Fabio Morelli, a '95 who was the top scorer of the U18 team that finished 3rd in the USSDA playofffs with 15 goals in 28 games.

Many of the local media are writing that Saputo's comments are dangerous and could easily backfire. The Journal de Montreal writes that the honeymoone between the Impact/MLS and Quebeckers is over. They are comparing Saputo's comments to what Claude Brochu (of the Expos) said just before he sold the team. I think the crux of the problem is that Saputo is frustrated the Impact haven't taken more space in Montreal's sports landscape. The thing he is forgetting is that Montreal lives and breathes The Canadiens. Period. There was a time when we loved the Expos but as the team became less and less competitive, we got upset and stopped going to games. There will always be Montrealers to support the Alouettes and the Impact but it will never, ever come close to how we support the Canadiens. The Als have done a good job in developping their audience and they realize they will never be able to compete with the hockey team. The Impact and specifically Mr. Saputo have delusions of grandeur. Just because you joined MLS doesn't mean people will come running to the games. The team has to be competitive and show that it is progressing. I did not go to any games last year and will not go this year. I simply don't care about them and find them unbelievably arrogant. If Saputo makes some major changes like bringing in some real soccer people to run the show, I will take that as a sign they are serious about soccer in Montreal. Otherwise, who cares?

Regarding the Oyongo saga : Someone wasn't doing their job obviously at the Impact and in MLS

As for Joey and his 5000 season tickets and small crowd for the Champions League game against Pachua, he seems to forget that his team finished close to dead last in the league last year, and any optimism about the new team is all talk so far.  Why would we go to the Big O on a winter's night in March?  To support the fact that they made it past a very medicre first round, including games where Red Bulls played their second string?  Hmmmm

Saputo seems to forget that the previous sell-out in the CL at the Big O happened because that team was not even in MLS, yet fully deserved its appearence.  That team earned the respect of the fans, and that's why 60,000 showed up.  Remember Eddy Sebrango et co? 

I've been a season ticket holder since the beginning, and I think that most guys on this board agree that Klopas deserves some time and a chance to build his team.  But we aren't going to go to games at the Big O just for the sake of attending.  We would like to see a decent game.

I have noticed that we have only one MLS game at Olympic Stadium this year, against Orlando.  I wonder if they'll market the hell out of Kaka only for him not to show.  (like Henry in years gone by). 

So have I got this right?  Neither Krol nor Oyango are in camp, yet we released Ouimette?  Does Braz know what he's doing?

Has anyone seen any marketing for the game at Olympic Stadium?  Or was Joey's rant (which is free) constitute the marketing campaign for the game at the Big O.  If I were to go to that game, you can be sure I'd wait for the two-for-one ticket deal on Travelzoo.

As for Joey and his 5000 season tickets and small crowd for the Champions League game against Pachua, he seems to forget that his team finished close to dead last in the league last year, and any optimism about the new team is all talk so far.  Why would we go to the Big O on a winter's night in March?  To support the fact that they made it past a very medicre first round, including games where Red Bulls played their second string?  Hmmmm

Umm how about the fact that it's essentially your 2015 opener and you're in the QF of a continental competition?  This is your biggest match since you've been in MLS.

Saputo is right.  The city clearly doesn't care about the Impact, there is no excuse.

Umm how about the fact that it's essentially your 2015 opener and you're in the QF of a continental competition?  This is your biggest match since you've been in MLS.

Saputo is right.  The city clearly doesn't care about the Impact, there is no excuse.

What I don't understand is they got 50K at Big Owe in few years ago when they were in CCL quarter-finals.  So what happened to that crowd?  I think Saputo should get the blame not market.  

Lack of marketing and not able to connect to soccer fanbase in Montreal is right issue here.  

Lack of marketing and not able to connect to soccer fanbase in Montreal is right issue here.  

This is 100%. Outside of the fans that follow the team regularly they've done nothing. Marquonlhistoire.com is really cool but for someone who already has season tickets or someone who knows about the team its useless because we won't beat pacha just because of the  site, also you actually have to look for it to see it. No neutral montrealers know about it. 

I saw a comment recently from one of the new impact vps saying that the marketing hasn't really started yet because it would have been a waste of money to market the game more than a month in advance. Now that there is only a month before the game the marketing will really start with billboards going up. This announcement makes Saputo's comments really confusing, why bash the ticket sales when a vp says the marketing hasn't even started yet?

Saputo is right?  hahah - I don't think I've ever heard that an owner was right anywhere, anytime.  It's a cop-out and free publicity for Saputo to air such grievances. 

Impact have been in the MLS playoffs, by far a bigger achievement by any standards than the CCL.  And to be fair, they played poorly then  and haven't righted the ship since that game in Houston.  If it were such a prestigious competition, why did the Red Bulls play their second string for both of these games.  In fact, did Thierry Henry ever show his face in Montreal?  That to me is a real blemish on the MLS (and not fully Saputo's fault, though he marketed Red Bulls at the Big O as if Henry would be there, knowing full well he didn't play of turf)

I spoke with marketing guys at the Impact about being "tricked" into buying Big O games.  And they just laughed and said nothing.  I'm glad I got to see Beckham show up on turf  - full marks to him for doing so.  But truth be told that TSN radio guys have been saying for a while now that the fact that Nesta played in Montreal, one of the greatest Italian players ever, and almost never gave an interview or had public appearances in the city is embarrassing.  Same with DiVaio - could you imagine how these guys could have connected to the Italian community in the city?  Felipe?  Brazilian friends here in the city never even knew the guy.  Bernier is the only one who puts in appearances (which meant that since he missed much of last season to injury, we had our only known quantity not playing on the field).  So whoever is signing these contracts without ensuring marketing appearances, it has to change.  If JacMac is to be a star in the city, they had better start marketing him as such.  The fans need to get behind this team, and to do so, they need to know who the guys are. 

For the thing on Oyongo, I don't see how it can apply.  The loan was apparently legal in Cameroon when Oyongo signed with Rainbow and  left for Red Bulls, but isn't now. The only question is if they have a back-up plan if Oyongo and his agent really have something there.

Impact have been in the MLS playoffs, by far a bigger achievement by any standards than the CCL.  And to be fair, they played poorly then  and haven't righted the ship since that game in Houston.  If it were such a prestigious competition, why did the Red Bulls play their second string for both of these games.

Come on man... in what world is finishing in a wild card playoff spot for a league that has never won the CCL a better achievement than reaching the last 8 of said competition?!

Red Bulls played their second string players because they and MIKE PETKE (Red Bull fans pay attention) wrongly thought that they could beat Montreal's squad and fight for their playoff lives at the same time.  Petke put all his eggs in one basket and failed at both, so he lost his job.

In my eyes I don't even see Montreal's wild card game in 2013 as an achievement.  Making the QF of the CCL?  Yes, that is an achievement.  

Come on man... in what world is finishing in a wild card playoff spot for a league that has never won the CCL a better achievement than reaching the last 8 of said competition?!

Red Bulls played their second string players because they and MIKE PETKE (Red Bull fans pay attention) wrongly thought that they could beat Montreal's squad and fight for their playoff lives at the same time.  Petke put all his eggs in one basket and failed at both, so he lost his job.

In my eyes I don't even see Montreal's wild card game in 2013 as an achievement.  Making the QF of the CCL?  Yes, that is an achievement.  

You just made the argument that the wild card game in 2013 is a better achievement than the CCL QF. The Impact got by a team playing its second string players. That just proves that the CCL is a second rate competition in MLS. Had the Impact been with a Mexican team, then we could talk about achievement, but not here.

The bigger achievement is the one that teams take more seriously. MLS teams take making the playoffs more seriously than Champions League. Maybe one day if the CONCACAF Champions League grows more prestigious teams will take it more seriously than MLS playoffs but that is not the case at present. Additionally it is harder to make the MLS playoffs than it is to make the Champions League quarterfinals. We beat a NASL team, a non-playoff MLS team, the reserve team of a playoff bound MLS team and a team from El Salvador to get to the quarter-finals. And we did that with a very poor squad of players that finished last place in MLS. As much as I love Champions League and personally value it and the Voyageurs Cup above MLS, making the MLS playoffs is clearly a harder accomplishment than the CONCACAF quarter-finals. 

The bigger achievement is the one that teams take more seriously. MLS teams take making the playoffs more seriously than Champions League. Maybe one day if the CONCACAF Champions League grows more prestigious teams will take it more seriously than MLS playoffs but that is not the case at present. Additionally it is harder to make the MLS playoffs than it is to make the Champions League quarterfinals. We beat a NASL team, a non-playoff MLS team, the reserve team of a playoff bound MLS team and a team from El Salvador to get to the quarter-finals. And we did that with a very poor squad of players that finished last place in MLS. As much as I love Champions League and personally value it and the Voyageurs Cup above MLS, making the MLS playoffs is clearly a harder accomplishment than the CONCACAF quarter-finals. 

I think more than a few folks would argue you did not even beat the NASL team  :angry:

really really long article...but fascinating...the shady world of 3rd party ownership:

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/2/14/8037529/ambroise-oyongo-impact-montreal-transfer-rainbow-fc

FIFA should ban third-party ownership all together. A player is a free person and if he signs a contract obviously his club has a say as well. It's not beneficial to either players, clubs nor football in general.

FIFA should ban third-party ownership all together. A player is a free person and if he signs a contract obviously his club has a say as well. It's not beneficial to either players, clubs nor football in general.

Atletico Madrid may disagree. FC Porto too. They may not get large chunks of the transfers these players are involved in, but I'd say the champions league money they bank and the exposure for the club and players they do fully own probably eases many concerns.

Joey Saputo wonders why the Impact ticket sales are low and the club does not get more media coverage. Maybe if he ran the club more professionally and didn't give his friends jobs for life the Impact would be more respected and taken more seriously. Somehow I suspect that the Habs hired Bergevin and Therrien because they were qualified not because they were best buddies with Geoff Molson. De Santis has a terrible season as coach but instead of getting fired he is promoted as manager. We are in last place last season and instead of getting fired he is given a new position and today is promoted to vice-president. What type of message does that send to fans of the club? No other team in the league would hire De Santis for any position.

Archived