2014-15 Montreal Impact off-season

Blackdude

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah - one of FK's boys from Chicago right? Wouldn't be a bad move. Good MLS experience, only 29, a Mali international. The salary is a problem for sure though. Anything above 200 K is probably a waste of money. They could probably sign up Straith at 100 k a season and get similar quality in a CB 

...or, maybe my Canadian bias is showing?

Philadelphia had to eat a lot of his salary to ship him off to Chicago. He is out of contract now and probably will not be able to demand what he was getting paid so at the right price he could be a good signing. Given his connection to Klopas and the likelihood that some other cheaper CBs must be lined up since they got rid of Ferrari for salary cap reasons, he would be a strong possibility to end up in Montreal.

I, for one, think Jackson-Hamel has more potential than say, Jordan Hamilton.  Hamilton seems to get all the hype on these boards, but Hamel MAY end up being the better player.  Neither is the next Ibrahimovic or anything, but we'll see I guess!

I like AJH too but we need to see what he does with an extended run out for Montreal, assuming he gets that.

I agree that Hamilton is over-hyped, but perhaps at least some of that is justified. 18 years old scoring 5 goals in 11 matches in USL-pro. Hasn't scored in Portugal but has earned playing time in the second tier. Not bad.

Now has 2 goals in 2 games for the U-20 side, and has already made a senior appearance for us.

Not earth shattering but still it's pretty exciting. I think it's more than Jackson or Ricketts were doing as 18 year olds.

So good start and hopefully he doesn't turn into a Jamie Peters. Wish he would get it back together..

Jackson-Hamel is 3 yrs older than Hamilton.

I, for one, have mentioned recently on these boards that I'm not sure that all of a sudden superior talent manifests between the ages of 19 and 22.  There are SOME late bloomers, but 19 is plenty old enough to soccer to be making top squad IF the talent is there.  As is AJH's age.  Both may end up being servicable, and potentially even consistent Canada men's national team players, but that speaks more to our lack of scoring ability, and solid forwards than THEIR ability.  

My hope is they both turn out to be solid MLS level players, it IS still too early to write either player off obviously.  But the realist in me sees Hamilton as someone that ends up more in the Bryce Alderson route, while AJH is already getting MLS minutes.

Some people learn faster than others, as you might have experienced in high school. Some will never learn. There's no way anybody can predict the future of a player like Hamilton. Obviously he's very talented, but now it's up to him to match that with work ethic and learning abilities. 

Wouldn't really say AJH is getting MLS minutes just yet. His minutes this year were more because of Montreal's lack of depth in attack. To be honest I would have like to have seen him more down the stretch. I think most of his minutes came on the road except for the one game against toronto. But then again i guess it's still more than the 0 hamilton has.

Couple notes from a presser that Klopas is , courtesy of @joeyalfieri

Klopas wants to improve the "spine" of the team. Says a number 1 centreback at the right age, is a priority #IMFC

Klopas says he also wants to also add a pure number 6 defensive mid and a number 8 midfielder (box to box defender) #IMFC

Finally Klopas says they want to add a forward: "We're going to bring someone that's going to make us better" #IMFC

So, basically they are aiming to gut and rebuild the spine of the team. Regarding a DM and CB spots, wonder if Straith would get consideration on a CB spot, and if the Impact would take a flyer on Alderson? I imagine they would want to bring in a bigger name at CB and get someone with more experience at DM...

I think Straith is more the "plan B" CB they talked about since he had been on trial with them at the end of the season.

Someone on twitter mentioned it last night, the "plan A" CB might be either Andre Hainault who has MLS experience or Aurelien Collin whose contract is expiring with Kansas City this winter. Both speak french and are big.

I think Straith is more the "plan B" CB they talked about since he had been on trial with them at the end of the season.

Someone on twitter mentioned it last night, the "plan A" CB might be either Andre Hainault who has MLS experience or Aurelien Collin whose contract is expiring with Kansas City this winter. Both speak french and are big.

At 28 both Collin & Hainault would be young enough to still make a difference for years to come. How much $$ would be the obvious question. With the salary cap going up next year it might not be as big a deal as before but still a factor. Colin is at $275k so expect Hainault to be around the same. Either one would be a good addition but could you do both? That would give some depth as well with Karl and some other younger players.

Straith (24) would be much less expensive and probably provide good cover and push for a starting spot.

Archived