NCAA Canadian Prospects 2014 (Weekly Updates)

DigzTFC

I personally don't think this has very much to do with TFC at all. He hasn't played with them in years. I agree that the article points to it but Chapman left KW United midseason last year to train in England. He has an English father and is a Beswicks player (who has the rights to a number of major English players and a foothold in the English market).

He is also highly considered in NCAA. He would be getting a GA deal if it wasn't for the fact that he still has Homegrown Player rights.

Saying that, the Mail talks up his TFC days, so they clearly see that as recognizable, but I think that's just because it is the biggest known club he has been attached to. He isn't getting his chance in England though through TFC, he is there because of his agency and passport.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't think this has very much to do with TFC at all. He hasn't played with them in years. I agree that the article points to it but Chapman left KW United midseason last year to train in England. He has an English father and is a Beswicks player (who has the rights to a number of major English players and a foothold in the English market).

He is also highly considered in NCAA. He would be getting a GA deal if it wasn't for the fact that he still has Homegrown Player rights.

Saying that, the Mail talks up his TFC days, so they clearly see that as recognizable, but I think that's just because it is the biggest known club he has been attached to. He isn't getting his chance in England though through TFC, he is there because of his agency and passport.

I don't mean to say that it has a LOT to do with TFC.  I'm not touting their academy for his development.  But the fact that the article points to it...you have to think the clubs noticed it and said "Oh, TFC, he's a TFC product, I've heard of them, they are a known brand."

Sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know...take Richard Eckersley.  How often was he touted on TFC broadcasts as a former Manchester United man?  What I'm saying is that because of the "bloody big deal" and becoming a world brand, having TFC attached to your name might be more help than hindrance, despite, ironically, the results TFC produces.  

Don't read too much into this for Chapman DIRECTLY, he's just another piece in the puzzle.

There's still not a lot of proof to my argument yet...I'm sort of looking to the future...if TFC makes a different move this spring, for example...I think we can look for a lot MORE examples like this moving forward.  I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.  How many tier 4 keepers have been better than a Tier 1 keeper, but could NEVER get a tier 1 job based solely on the reputation that they have never played at a higher level, just as an example?  

The more recognizable TFC as a name becomes, the higher the so-called glass ceiling for their academy products becomes.  

Agreed.

I really liked Paunic this summer. Great player and fairly good on the ball. We had AJ Cochrane who is now with Houston on the team last year and I would say Paunic is a step up. I am hoping Emeka Ononye gets called in, he is very very good. Paunic could be a little limited in MLS, so the Combine is a good place for him to prove himself.

They might have chosen not to sign him. The same could be said for Murrell, or maybe that is why he isn't on the list. The combine though isn't a great predictator of draft places. I know that last years had quite a few that were never drafted even though they were invited to the combine. I've found MLS drafts very hard to predict in general and I think that is true across most systems that I have seen. 

Draft boards can be wildly inaccurate.

Archived