NCAA Canadian Prospects 2014 (Weekly Updates)

DigzTFC

I look at this thread and can't help but think that these players are the base of a Canadian league. Sure, a lot of these kids might not be good enough. But there are some real talents that are essentially playing soccer in exchange for education. If they had an option at home where they would receive better/more training in a pro environment without the insane NCAA restrictions, in exchange for a small salary AND scholarships (hybrid junior hockey model mixed with some pro elements), don't you think they would stay?

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that this is the way to go. You keep player costs down, keep quality talent at home in a potentially better development environment, and the player receives more in return that they are currently.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at this thread and can't help but think that these players are the base of a Canadian league. Sure, a lot of these kids might not be good enough. But there are some real talents that are essentially playing soccer in exchange for education. If they had an option at home where they would receive better/more training in a pro environment without the insane NCAA restrictions, in exchange for a small salary AND scholarships (hybrid junior hockey model mixed with some pro elements), don't you think they would stay?

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that this is the way to go. You keep player costs down, keep quality talent at home in a potentially better development environment, and the player receives more in return that they are currently.

Agreed.  I would also want about 40-50 of the players in lower tier leagues in Europe to come home and get playing time. 

We send so many to Germany and they always seem to falter.

I'm interested to see how some of these guys who were academy trained do when they leave NCAA. I think there's several pros in NCAA right now for us. Jay chapman, Cyle Larin, Richie Laryea for starters. I think they could be MLS players.

I'm not sure the quality of player previously going to NCAA from Canada was as strong.

Just happened to be switching channels in my hotel room and saw that Duke v Notre Dame was on. I caught the game about 15 minutes in and turned in off with about 8 minutes left when there were no longer any Canadians on the pitch. It was 4-1 for 11th ranked Notre Dame over the hosting Blue Devils.

I was not really impressed by Kevon Black. He was turned badly on the fourth ND goal. His passing wasn't that great either.

Brody scored the lone goal for Duke. Announcers said it was his second of the year. Calmly side footed a deflected ball into the side netting from the top of the 6 yard box. He had two other efforts that I saw, turning a defender and then getting a good shot off that went just high, then received a pass pushing it by the defender with a nice first touch only to pull his shot wide. Besides that, service from his teammates was very poor.

Can I just ask, what exactly do these rankings refer to? their impact at the college level? Their professional chances? I suppose I'm always confused when I see this considering some of the guys offered GA contracts aren't as high as other guys.

Is this like a college specific ranking akin to how Tim Tebow was a great college qb but a weak pro prospect or vice versa? 

Can I just ask, what exactly do these rankings refer to? their impact at the college level? Their professional chances? I suppose I'm always confused when I see this considering some of the guys offered GA contracts aren't as high as other guys.

Here's what the Top Drawer Soccer about rankings says:

Mid-season & Post-season rankings are generated by statistics and coach input. The tricky thing is, soccer is largely NOT a statistical game. Yes, stats can show you some things, but there are so many things in evaluating a top quality soccer player that statistics will not help with. As the ultimate team game, statistics can even be misleading. One person's statistics may be quite good in an area, and actually be the result of someone else's quality (and vice versa). Not having a bird's eye seat to every game around the nation, it is necessary to consult those who are...coaches. We work heavily with coaches, who provide an on-the-ground understanding as the season progresses.

For the Freshman Rankings:

Our national rookie rankings are based on newcomers who are making the greatest contributions to their respective teams' on the field.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, UConn statistically has not been very good. Syracuse beat them recently and most of the team rankings (NSCAA, Soccer by Ives, Top Drawer) all have them as out of the top 20 teams. I think the last round they had 1 vote, but the latest rankings I saw them drop off most people's boards. Ben McKendry plays for a good New Mexico side and has posted very positive numbers. There is definitely some degree of variance as well where a good player like McKendry can seem like a real star on a successful team that only has 3 players in both the freshman and national rankings.

It's interesting that Nanco isn't on either list though, 5 goals and an assist in 753 minutes of soccer. He is posting points for ever game and half of soccer. But overall he doesn't complete most games, so that might be the mark against him.

Chapman is an interesting prospect, Michigan State is a very defensive team posting some of the best defensive numbers in the NCAA, he is seen as the one to lead the transition out of that defence into attack. When I saw him last year in the PDL he attempted a lot of dribbles and tended to enjoy running at the defense, a very creative player who tended to look for a pass that unlocked the defense. He now tends to play simpler passes and quicker touches. Here's his goal against Penn State @1:37:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdrgMbyhjkY&list=UUbuVXfPUTkohCOZRtvUEIdA

Thanks for all this. Helps explain a lot. Sounds like to some degree given the exposure NCAA soccer has compared to NCAA football these lists will always involve a touch more approximation rather than being seen as consensus. With all that said, some Canadians are doing awesome!

Cyle Larin and Skylar Thomas make the top 15 players in the country:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/28/mls-campus-top-college-players-who-may-be-available-2015-mls-superdraft

1. Cyle Larin, sophomore forward, Connecticut – Everyone we’ve talked to has said that Larin (pictured above) is the best player in college soccer, and MLS is not the only league to notice. A Canadian international, Larin trained with a few different European clubs prior to enrolling at UConn, and apparently there are teams on the other side of the pond interested in acquiring his services. If MLS can nab him first, he’s the No. 1 pick.

7. Skylar Thomas, senior center back, Syracuse – At 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds, Thomas certainly looks the part of a center back, and sometimes you really can judge a book by its cover. Thomas is a big, imposing player who anchors a back line that is easily one of the best in college soccer this year. The Orange have given up just six goals this season and are 13-2-1 in arguably the most difficult conference in the country. Thomas is athletic, a fantastic marker, and can dominate in the air in either box. The Canadian passport might put off some teams, but if you’re a Canadian team looking for defensive reinforcement – and we’re looking at you, Toronto FC – then Thomas is your guy. 

Top Team is Syracuse:

1) Syracuse (13-2-1)

The Orange bounced back from a disappointing loss to Louisville last week by stomping Bucknell 4-1 on Tuesday. Syracuse couldn’t run their winning streak to two, drawing 0-0 at NC State on Saturday. But at the rate that other teams are losing at, we’re inclined to look at the Orange’s entire body of work. Syracuse have one of the best records in the country, one of the best defenses, and have somehow managed to fight their way to the head of the pack in a conference that, at the beginning of the season, we thought would likely cannibalize them. We’d still like to see them beat a truly elite squad, but right now, they’ve done the most to earn the No. 1 spot in the rankings.

If Larin is really that good, the best thing might be for him to get drafted by NYCFC. If he can come into a high-profile MLS side and impress, he'll get far more international exposure through the Manchester City links than he will get playing for any other team in North America. Are NYCFC and Orlando confirmed for the 1st and 2nd picks? What is the order?

If Larin is really that good, the best thing might be for him to get drafted by NYCFC. If he can come into a high-profile MLS side and impress, he'll get far more international exposure through the Manchester City links than he will get playing for any other team in North America. Are NYCFC and Orlando confirmed for the 1st and 2nd picks? What is the order?

Orlando has the first pick. I think Orlando takes Larin with the first pick. They need a striker, and they recently got another international roster spot in that Tally Hall trade. All signs point to Larin going to Orlando, which would be great.

Again, I would say Larin's team knows what they are doing. Drafted first last year and you end up at a team like the Philly Union. Now he has the chance between NYCFC or Orlando, where he could be playing with Villa, Lampard or Kaka. He does still have options in Europe, but I think a year in MLS to prove himself would be good.

Let's remember that this guy wasn't even on the youth team radar, but he has suddenly been given a lot of attention.

Again, I would say Larin's team knows what they are doing. Drafted first last year and you end up at a team like the Philly Union. Now he has the chance between NYCFC or Orlando, where he could be playing with Villa, Lampard or Kaka. He does still have options in Europe, but I think a year in MLS to prove himself would be good.

Let's remember that this guy wasn't even on the youth team radar, but he has suddenly been given a lot of attention.

You're right that it has worked out nicely for him but going first overall was (and is still) never a guarantee.  I think Larin wanted to play for Sigma (who's he been with since 11 years old) for one year in L1O and they/that influenced his choice to stay another year.  That's a total guess on my part but it would be understandable.

Archived