NCAA Canadian Prospects 2014 (Weekly Updates)

DigzTFC

I wish the other 140 NCAA Canadian soccer players got the same attention and heated debate. 

Anyone want to expand the conversation to include them?

Possible topics:

Brett Larocque (Bryant) is tearing it up with 4 goals in 6 games.

Ben McKendry is playing an important role on a pretty highly ranked team.

Jay Chapman is pretty highly rated but under the radar around here.

Allando Matheson hasn't had a start yet this year.  It's too bad after all that promise in his sophomore year.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning Belgium .... Sasha Klejstan started last year at Anderlecht but didn't make the US WC team. He was behind six or seven players, most of whom are in MLS. So a US player at the best team in Belgium couldn't beat out the elite of MLS midfielders. An American named Kenny Saief scored his first goal in the Jupiler League last week. Did that set the US soccer world on fire? Not really. It's sort of, "Let's see where he is in a couple of years."

If Larin stayed in MLS and went to NYCFC ... he would have the best coach in the league ... he would get to learn from David Villa ... He might well have the opportunity to train with Man City during the off-season ... and he would get to live in New York, rather than in a foreign European culture.   

Genk wouldn't be a bad option. Belgium has a respectable league that has produced a considerable amount of talent recently.

Concerning Belgium .... Sasha Klejstan started last year at Anderlecht but didn't make the US WC team. He was behind six or seven players, most of whom are in MLS. So a US player at the best team in Belgium couldn't beat out the elite of MLS midfielders. An American named Kenny Saief scored his first goal in the Jupiler League last week. Did that set the US soccer world on fire? Not really. It's sort of, "Let's see where he is in a couple of years."

If Larin stayed in MLS and went to NYCFC ... he would have the best coach in the league ... he would get to learn from David Villa ... He might well have the opportunity to train with Man City during the off-season ... and he would get to live in New York, rather than in a foreign European culture.   

Genk wouldn't be a bad option. Belgium has a respectable league that has produced a considerable amount of talent recently.

The quality of MLS isn't the question. The problem with MLS is that alot of your options disappear once you join the league. Especially considering Canadians are considered import players on all the US teams. I asked the same question about Piette coming back to MLS versus playing lower division soccer in europe and I believe it was Grizzly who kind of broke down why so many choose the european route rather than MLS. For example, suppose he doesn't catch on at NYCFC, as a Canadian who's counted as an import, if another US team doesn't want to burn an import slot on him he basically can only play on one of the three Canadian MLS teams or NASL or USL Pro, whereas once you're in europe it's easier to get on the radar of other teams in other countries, and at leats get tryouts, etc etc.

Not to mention, but rather important if you're a pro, you get paid a lot more than the MLS-entree salary. You won't find players for 40.000 dollars in the Jupiler League (Belgium first division that is, you will find them in the Jupiler League Dutch second division).

Btw, whereas in MLS you might be playing with stars from the past, in Europe you could be playing with stars in the future.

I think Larin will get at least $250k from GA for 3-4 years. Not sure Genk will match that.

I'm not sure about that. It's possible, but GA salaries have been going down last couple of years and less players being signed to GA contracts out of NCAA. Most GA players get a salary less than 100k. You have to be exceptional talent to get 150k base. 

Isn't Mattocks on a GA contract that pays close to 200 k? If so I guess the question is "is Larin as big a prospect as Mattocks was"?

At any rate, I agree that it's not out of the realm of possibility that Genk matches that figure. Remember guys, Genk are a bigger side in this league and they usually play in Europe as well (although mostly just Europa League).

Also, in 2011 the average salary in the Belgian Pro League was 210,000 euros. He'd likely be far down the peaking order but he'd be with one of the bigger clubs. maybe 200 k cdn is possible here guys.

http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/pro_league_average_earnings.htm

Edit: Just noticed in that article the average salary at Genk was 279,000 euros. That is like 390,000 cdn...... 

Great point about the potential benefit of landing with NYCFC and taking advantage of all those things, but what if he doesn't? What if it is Orlando or Montreal - are the benefits as great? 

Re Klejstan: I wouldn't look too much into his case and I don't think his absence in Brazil is a negative reflection on the league's strength. You know that the USA have a plethora of central midfielders and if he was playing in MLS he would still be caught in a numbers game. At Anderlecht he is a role player on a very good team (by MLS standards). Those ahead of him in the pecking order are all stars on their MLS teams. I don't think there is a point to make here.

The American that recently scored in Belgium.... yes I understand that you guys are monitoring him ....but certainly not gushing ...because he is only playing in "Belgium". Again, I am not quite sure what your angle is here? If he scored in MLS it wouldn't set the soccer world on fire either.... I guess what you're saying is that you'd be more impressed if he scored this goal in La Liga/EPL/Bundesliga/Serie A? That is fair, but if he scored in France or Russia or Portugal or even Turkey you'd probably not pay much attention either - but it doesn't mean those leagues are inferior to MLS.

Just saying, Mustapha Jarju is a starting striker in Belgium...

But for the me the debate was does he spend a second season in NCAA, I think if he heads to Europe after this, that is great for him, if he heads the MLS route, that's also good. But to have left at the end of last year I think would have been risky, playing a second season of NCAA has gone on to prove that he is a top talent in the system, I think it has also helped solidify Europe's in him. Being in high demand is always a good thing, and I don't know if he would be considered so highly if last year he jumped off to Europe.

One hidden bonus to playing in Belgium is that foreigners must be paid more than domestic, this means that if Gent is after him, they see him as being extra valuable. Which is a significant difference from someone like Haber (who was actually on a lot of people's radar but the GA program didn't look like it would take Canadians at that time, the focus was American talent, even though apparently he was approach. Also Cornell and UConn in soccer are fairly similar, UConn is not a top ranked team, maybe Top 100 but not in most people's top 50, even with Larin.)

Speaking of other NCAA talent, it looks like Jay Chapman will more than likely be heading the Generation Adidas route. His game has been undergoing a real evolution at Michigan State which plays a solid defensive game and looks to Jay for the goals and offensive output. What I have noticed is that he used to attempt a lot more dribbles per game usually outside of the box, now he is scoring goals off headers and moves the ball much quicker to the wings. If he does make the jump to MLS it will be interesting to see where he ends up and what kind of role they expect him to play.

Sergio at Coastal is troubling. I think he needs to get out of there. He has been having a solid year in terms of output and most people who watch him play see that he is a talent, but Coastal's coach changes up his lineup a lot. Often resting players every other game. He seems to want to use the whole roster all of the time, which means everyone gets game time but Sergio would be the starting CAM for many universities right now. His stock continues to rise despite of this though. He isn't currently on many people's GA list but if Coastal make a run and he continues to play well, I would expect there is a chance. Otherwise he will wait another year and probably be a first rounder.

One hidden bonus to playing in Belgium is that foreigners must be paid more than domestic, this means that if Gent is after him, they see him as being extra valuable. Which is a significant difference from someone like Haber (who was actually on a lot of people's radar but the GA program didn't look like it would take Canadians at that time, the focus was American talent, even though apparently he was approach. Also Cornell and UConn in soccer are fairly similar, UConn is not a top ranked team, maybe Top 100 but not in most people's top 50, even with Larin.)

UConn is poised to have two #1 overall picks in back to back years.  They are most definitely a national title contender as they were last year and no chance they are outside the top 50.  They are one of the most consistent schools when it comes to MLS picks in recent years.

Mustapha Jarju is a bad example for many reasons, because he only lasted 6 months in MLS and dealt with Ramadam and arrived in preseason shape when the team was in mideason. Had Clint Dempsey left at the end of the year Seattle, you could say the same thing that he was a starter at Fulham, but scored only one goal in MLS. Not saying that Jarju would score 10+  goals, but, he would have been able to see a full season, and it's rare to see players in preseason shape excel in MLS in their first halfseason, especially players who are playing attacking positions.

Also, I doubt that Larin would be paid more than a domestic in Belgium, because he isn't proven at the pro level and is older than the kid from the Academy. He would be a project and would probably be paid otherwise.

Also, you compared a program who made the NCAA quarterfinals in each of the past 3 years.who has won the ivy league crown in 2012 for the first time in 17 years. UConn is a program that has missed the tournament once since 1998. If you think that they're outside the top 50, why are they always invited for the NCAA tournament?

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/09/college-soccer-19th-edition.html

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

This last round they got 1 vote from coaches. I shouldn't say they are outside of the Top 50, that's harsh, but they aren't in most people's Top 25.

As for Clint, he wasn't a starter at Spurs, he would start some games, but he also sat a lot of games at the end. That doesn't really matter though. I'll stop comparing players because basically each one get's nitpicked. How is that ever transfer between the Jupiler League and MLS is somehow null and void? Najar, Kljestan, Jarju. Also apparently when I provide examples of NCAA players leaving the NCAA for Europe, those are also all cited as inadequate as well. Oh well.

Anyone ready to talk about the other Canadians in the NCAA?

Jarju is actually out of contract right now. 2 years ago he had a decent season in the Jupiler League in which he scored 9 goals in 30 games and then 3 goals in 6 games in the playoff round. However, last year he only scored 1 goal in 20 games and his team was relegated. Halfway through the season he was sent to the B team and then his contract was not renewed when it expired. He has only really had 2 good seasons in the Jupiler league in his career, one before he went to the Caps and one after, sandwiched by some poor seasons in the Jupiler League and 2 good seasons in the 2nd division.

Personally I agree with Obinna's assessment of the Belgian League. The top teams would be top teams in MLS though I think clubs like LA could compete with them. Overall European teams often have better depth than MLS teams but I don't think we should underestimate the depth in some of the better teams like LA. The middle teams in Belgian would be middle teams in MLS but the lower third of the Belgian teams would struggle in MLS. The quality drops quite a lot through the table in Belgium. 

As for Larin I would prefer he went to Europe if that option is available to him. Not every player develops the same and Europe is not necessarily better for every player. However, for someone who is a top talent one generally wants him to get the highest level of play and coaching as early as possible. Plus Europe has more opportunity to move up the ladder if you are successful at one level and also more alternative options if things don't go well at a certain club or league than MLS. 

Josh Heard is quietly putting together a great junior season. He scored a goal and picked up an assist in UW's 2-1 win over Portland. He has 5 goals in 8 games playing on the wing. Although he didn't make any preseason list, next to Larin and the guys at UConn, he's playing at one of the most high profile school in terms of the MLS SuperDraft. I'm working on a little list of draftees per school (still working on the supplemental draft). As a sneak preview, UConn have had 21 players drafted, Akron 16, Duke and Washington 15, Louisville 14, and South Florida 13.

Skylar Thomas picked up a goal for red hot Syracuse, although the Orangemen have only put 3 players through the draft, fwiw.

Interesting that schools like Niagara, St. Bonaventure, Detroit, Oakland, etc. where most of our players play rarely, if ever, have a player drafted. I'll post the list here in the next few days.

Josh Heard is quietly putting together a great junior season. He scored a goal and picked up an assist in UW's 2-1 win over Portland. He has 5 goals in 8 games playing on the wing. Although he didn't make any preseason list, next to Larin and the guys at UConn, he's playing at one of the most high profile school in terms of the MLS SuperDraft. I'm working on a little list of draftees per school (still working on the supplemental draft). As a sneak preview, UConn have had 21 players drafted, Akron 16, Duke and Washington 15, Louisville 14, and South Florida 13.

Skylar Thomas picked up a goal for red hot Syracuse, although the Orangemen have only put 3 players through the draft, fwiw.

Interesting that schools like Niagara, St. Bonaventure, Detroit, Oakland, etc. where most of our players play rarely, if ever, have a player drafted. I'll post the list here in the next few days.

Richie Laryea is also have a pretty solid year for a freshman at Akron.  He's started all 7 and, as you say, they generally have a pretty good program.

These are the 34 schools with 10 or more players drafted.

UCLA 58

Maryland 39

Indiana 35

North Carolina  35

UConn 30

Virginia  30

Wake Forest 30

Creighton 29

UC Santa Barbara 28

SMU 27

Notre Dame 26

Stanford  22