NCAA Canadian Prospects 2014 (Weekly Updates)

DigzTFC

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matheson doesn't have pro potential anymore. It makes no sense to sign a player without it.

He was never even a starter at UConn.

Interesting. So you have been following him playing at UCONN? Can you elaborate on why he has been considered to have lost his pro potential? I understood his lack of playing time was due to injury. A torn ACL.

^While I understand the point you are trying to make about why he never started at UConn, not knowing much about Matheson, I would wonder that basically losing a season to such a career affecting injury would probably make a lot of high level pro clubs nervous about signing him as well, no?

Interesting. So you have been following him playing at UCONN? Can you elaborate on why he has been considered to have lost his pro potential? I understood his lack of playing time was due to injury. A torn ACL.

How many 4 year NCAA players, who were never starters, went on to have pro careers?

• 1 month later...

I'm hearing that one of the Caps top prospects Dario Zanatta could be leaving for a school down south

I know a lot of the players on the U18 team wrote the SAT. That is why I expected some info to be released on where they will be going. Like the other USSDA squads.

As per League 1 Ontario twitter, 5 players from Vaughan Soocer Club have signed their NCAA letters of intent.

Dayonn Harris (Penn State), Kamal Miller (Syracuse), Dayne St. Clair (Maryland), Lucas Puntillo & Kai Olguin (Robert Morris)

I will offer this info - I saw these guys play at the Sigma showcase, and as a comparison to Sigma who have turned into a real NCAA talent producer, I thought a few of the Vaughan kids had overall a better raw athletic skill set. Sigma has some very good players too that I think will end up at top programs, but their difference is they develop them under a specific system and set of techniques that is attractive to certain programs and pro clubs who value this (i.e. 4-3-3, 1v1 abilities, technical passing etc). I am not surprised some of them are off to top school as they were impressive, and I'd expect to hear about some of the Sigma kids in this age group soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Who is our best prospect in NCAA right now. I am sure we have nothing like Cyle Larin last year.

No one like Larin, but there are some good prospects out there:

Richie Laryea (Akron): Played 20 games last year as a freshman for Akron which is generally a pretty good program.  I think he's mostly a defensive midfielder, but not 100% sure on that.

Kwame Awuah (UConn): Started all 19 UConn games as a sophomore.  He's played both midfield and on the back line for UConn.

Kevon Black (Duke): Played the second most minutes on the team as a freshman last year.

There are others like Sergio Camargo, Brody Huitema, Chris Nanco and Quinton Duncan who all did okay last year and are all relatively young (except maybe Camargo).

It might be worth mentioning that Larin's sophmore year last year was actually nothing to write home about when compared to his freshman year, so you never know how some of these players will turn out.

Archived