Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

THE BEST COMMENT EVER!!!!

"Absolutely no loyalty. I wish i could tell my future girlfriend im "keeping my options open" and I need to be in bed with another girl for the "experience" and "development".

Well ... duh, yes.  If the new girl is great in bed then I'll tell you to go to hell.  But if she's outta my league, I'll still need you on the side.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ClaytonA

^ Thanks.  That article pretty much says it all.  Not closing ANY doors.

I bet it was his quotes that make you think he's still going to play for Canada.  The girlfriend analogy appears correct.

“I talked to my family and my coaches and the close support group I have,” Bustos said. “We felt it was a good opportunity and learning experience for me as a young player."

“I’m just honoured and excited to have received the call-up for Chile. I just want to focus right now on being the best player I can be.

“I’m a proud Canadian, and also proud of my Chilean-Italian heritage. I want the best for myself as a growing player, and the experience this can give me, in the end, it will just make me an improved player.”

Empty politically correct stuff that politicians or anyone else in the public spotlight dealing with the media is trained to say.

“Just watching the games, supporting them, it’s awesome to know that a team in the World Cup that did so well is interested in me,” Bustos said. “For me, it’s a little pat on the back.”

Her legs, her flat tummy, the outstanding derierre and décolletage, that smile, the personality combo of innocence like a frolicsome colt tossing soft wavy hair that rebelliously wants to curl, and yet those deep eyes and steady gaze like a fiery vixen - alluring confidence...

“I’m not closing any doors,” he said. “I’ve had amazing experiences with Canada, like going to the (U-17) World Cup, and I’m still looking to have great experiences with Canada. I’m still looking forward to participation in future U-20 camps.”

But whoah [sheeet how to save this just in case plaaaaaaayyyyyyyya], Canada you're a great girl and I've had fun; remember that time at the cottage.  We should do that again. I mean, I only got up a couple times on waterskis...

“There’s a lot of stuff people don’t know about me as a person and as a player,” Bustos said.

He’s a young man who wants to grow as a player and reach the highest levels of the game.

Read between the lines; how does Weber finish the article?  If he has the chance, then he's gone.  We're just a great story about how he learned to waterski, or surf, or whatever.

edit: Also with the last quote, is there stuff he can't say or make public too?

I feel like he should be banned from the Canadian program for a year. If he wants back after that, fine. 

This way if he misses out on U20 World Cup squad for Chile, and Canada makes it, too bad. He should not be allowed to rejoin the U20 program for Canada after this. Allow him to make amends following the U20 World Cup (Hopefully Canada makes it, otherwise its not much of a lesson learned)

I feel like he should be banned from the Canadian program for a year. If he wants back after that, fine. 

This way if he misses out on U20 World Cup squad for Chile, and Canada makes it, too bad. He should not be allowed to rejoin the U20 program for Canada after this. Allow him to make amends following the U20 World Cup (Hopefully Canada makes it, otherwise its not much of a lesson learned)

Let's at least cut his funding....

I just re-read the list.  Aird is NOT on it.  This system of carding players is so that they are able to keep plying their trade, and not have to get another job, in order to represent Canada.  That is really the disappointment. One would think that going to another countries camp is against it is opposite the fundamental idea of why you receive the money.  Otherwise, if you are not funded by Heritage Canada, try all you want.  Because when you accept the money, it is like an unwritten contract in good faith you will stay available for Canada and only Canada.  

A player does not go to another countries camp for something to do.  You have to have the hope to making that team.  

Athlete Name

Home Province

City

Card

Grant Amount

Marco

Carducci

Alberta

Calgary

D

$10,800

Samuel

Adekugbe

British Columbia

Burnaby

D

$10,800

Hanson

Boakai

Alberta

Edmonton

D

$10,800

Jackson

Farmer

British Columbia

Burnaby

D

$10,800

Daniel

Stanese

British Columbia

Maple Ridge

C1

$10,800

Benjamin

Fisk Routledge

British Columbia

Vancouver

C1

$10,800

Caleb

Clarke

British Columbia

Richmond

C1

$10,800

Nolan

Wirth

British Columbia

Comox

D

$7,200

Dylan

Carreiro

Middlesex

West Drayton

D

$10,800

Kianz

Froese

Manitoba

Brunkild

D

$10,800

Marco

Bustos

Manitoba

Winnipeg

D

$10,800

Keven

Aleman Bustos

Ontario

York

C1

$10,800

Doneil

Henry

Ontario

Brampton

C1

$10,800

Bryce

Alderson

British Columbia

Vancouver

C1

$10,800

Luca

Gasparotto

Ontario

Ajax

D

$10,800

Michael

Petrasso

Ontario

Woodbridge

C1

$10,800

Jordan

Hamilton

Ontario

Toronto

D

$10,800

Richard

Gomes

Ontario

Baden

C1

$10,800

Mauro

Eustaquio

Oeste

Nazaré

C1

$10,800

Manuel

Aparicio

Ontario

East York

D

$10,800

Maxime

Crépeau

Quebec

Candiac

C1

$10,800

Samuel

Piette

Quebec

Repentigny

C1

$10,800

Jeremy

Gagnon-Laparé

Quebec

Magog

C1

$10,800

I don't know if we're looking at different lists, but the list I see shows Aird receives $7,200.

Didn't realize you revised the criteria.  Shall we do that for all the teams instead of just the Caps?  As you narrowed it to 'regulars' I think you'll find Montreal has 0 too.  And since we have to have a level playing field, we'll have to void anyone that was trained prior 2012 (that's when Montreal joined the MLS), so Toronto has 0 too.

Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver hate Canadians.       

I never had criteria. if you want to say "MLS teams have let down Canadian soccer" then be my fucking guest because you'd be right.

I never had criteria. if you want to say "MLS teams have let down Canadian soccer" then be my fucking guest because you'd be right.

You changed the criteria to contributions in the MLS era.   

You can be pissed at Bustos, his parents, lack of communication from the Caps and the CSA (who somehow are getting a pass on this in this thread???), but that doesn't mean they haven't done anything good.

Guest ClaytonA

For the record, I am disappointed and believe he's free to make whatever choice he feels is best for him.  I personally wouldn't ever abuse him on twitter or here on this forum.  The above hopefully is accepted with some humour as well as seriousness; that's what was intended and why I added little to the interpretation of the quotes themselves.

I do feel that this reflects on his character.  As LB says on his blog: http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/2014/07/06/another-conditional-canadian-marco-bustos-joins-chile-u-20/

He has taken/is taking someone's opportuntity, whether a past or current Canadian teammate or a Chilean player.  He's being dishonest to someone.  Someone who may never have gotten/get another chance, that's just how life works out.  Regardless of the government funding, how do you give someone back their time, their chance, their opportunity?  That is not something as easy as money to pay back, maybe impossible.  I don`t know him personally, whether he is a good or bad person or even whether he has personal integrity.

A quote from Bill Walsh:

Walsh also maintains that intelligence is related to the moral content of coaching. "You have to live with yourself," he has said. [True aptitude involves reflection.] "If you are a reflective person, things stick in your craw. Misusing, misleading people, every instance affects you until you can't go on. The most sadistic are often the least intelligent. That's the extent of their reasoning."

I`d also add conversely that perhaps, on the "it's a business" and "it's his career" front, that perhaps the Whitecaps (or any other organization in any sphere) not being able to employ the people they want to is reflective of the organization.  "Lies and promises, and words they said.  It's your decision to accept them."  Another brought up Rob Friend, that and perhaps this haven't been the only cases with the Whitecaps in MLS alone and not only with first team playing opportunities.  Players and coaches and staff have a responsibility to protect themselves too if an organization acts soullessly.

No Canadians started for them on the weekend.  

The only players TFC developed were Henry and Morgan, the rest were drafted or signed.  There is a difference, a big difference.  If you want to criticize the Caps for not signing Canadian players then you're right, but don't claim TFC's development is all mightier and hollier than the Caps.

FYI Western Canadians always train with the Caps.  Straith is with them right now.   

Wow, one game even though one Canadian (Osorio) came on later in the game.  

TFC have developed and give a lot of kids opportunity to play for first team (while others got opportunity overseas) even though their academy wasn't established properly and had some holes.  

We only drafted two Canadian players in TFC history which one of them is still playing for us.  

Signing Canadian players is a good thing isn't it? 

TFC this year have been pretty consistent (last game was rare time we didn't have a Canadian in the starting line up) starting Canadian player or two and prove you can win with Canadians on the team.  Whitecaps aren't exactly done much with their approach.   

We only drafted two Canadian players in TFC history which one of them is still playing for us.  

Toronto FC
Richard Asante (2007), Jeffrey Gonsalves (2007), Tyler Hemming (2007), O'Brian White (2007) [Canadian Residency], Kyle Hall (2007), Kyle Bekker (2013), Emery Welshman (2013), Ashton Bennett (2013) [Canadian Residency]

Montreal Impact
Carl Haworth (2012)

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Mackenzie Pridham (2014)

TFC have developed and give a lot of kids opportunity to play for first team (while others got opportunity overseas) even though their academy wasn't established properly and had some holes.  

Signing Canadian players is a good thing isn't it? 

TFC this year have been pretty consistent (last game was rare time we didn't have a Canadian in the starting line up) starting Canadian player or two and prove you can win with Canadians on the team.  Whitecaps aren't exactly done much with their approach.   

1.  Which is exactly what the Caps do, why is that good for TFC, but bad for the Caps?

2.  It is a good thing, which is why I said it was.  Don't confuse signing with developing.  

3.  Done more in the MLS than TFC, in less time.   

You changed the criteria to contributions in the MLS era.

When did I establish criteria in the first place? And how many straight years of the Whitecaps fucking Canadian soccer in the eyeballs now that they've joined MLS will it take for you to be satisfied? I used to hold up the division two Whitecaps, who truly gave a shit about soccer in this country, up as an example for everyone. But each of their MLS seasons has been a disaster for Canadian players and Canadian coaches, with Canadian players on than team sometimes getting less than 1% of the first team minutes they did in the division two era.

Congratulations Marco Bustos! Sadly, what is happening here is what is wrong with local soccer not only here in Winnipeg but is somewhat obvious happening throughout Canada. Instead of us applauding this young mans accomplishments and opportunities we slam him and his family. One has to wonder who are these faceless people? These people obviously jealous are for some reason hurt that they themselves or are family/ friends of someone they know that was never granted this fantastic opportunity that has been given to Marco! Perhaps, they have not yet come to terms that this opportunity was not earned and never will be. I have news for those people ... Get over it! These naysayers must realize even the Whitecaps applauded Marco's decision. And is it not just fantastic that " one of our own" has been recognized by a top 10 ranked soccer country? People get over it, and get on with your own dreams and whatever those dreams may be hopefully you will not be chastised for them!

^As much as I see some of your points, sir, I would respectfully (more respectfully than you have shown), point out that you aren't really addressing anyone's actual arguments.  I'm not saying it is necessary that you do so, but I will tell you that a post like this, antagonizing in it's nature, will do nothing to help anyone "get over it", and less to change anyone's mind about Bustos, if that even was your goal.

And if it was your goal to simply let off steam, don't worry, there's 7 pages already of people letting off steam.

Congratulations Marco Bustos! Sadly, what is happening here is what is wrong with local soccer not only here in Winnipeg but is somewhat obvious happening throughout Canada. Instead of us applauding this young mans accomplishments and opportunities we slam him and his family. One has to wonder who are these faceless people? These people obviously jealous are for some reason hurt that they themselves or are family/ friends of someone they know that was never granted this fantastic opportunity that has been given to Marco! Perhaps, they have not yet come to terms that this opportunity was not earned and never will be. I have news for those people ... Get over it! These naysayers must realize even the Whitecaps applauded Marco's decision. And is it not just fantastic that " one of our own" has been recognized by a top 10 ranked soccer country? People get over it, and get on with your own dreams and whatever those dreams may be hopefully you will not be chastised for them!

Turning your back on your country for another one you haven't even lived in out of convenience isn't "opportunity" it's selfishness to the point of ridiculous.

I see it's your first post, I'm guessing you're a family member?

Dear sir. I suppose I was letting off some steam, as it's very frustrating and irritating reading peoples negative comments. In order to get a proper handle on all this I firmly believe just what I stated earlier that the naysayers on here are jealous. Really, there's no other reason to come on here and be negative towards Bustos's decision. Think about it. If anyone should be of concern it should be the Whitecaps and obviously they are behind Marco.

Bustos is Nowhere near the level of the Chile U20 team.  Nowhere near.  If he was tearing up MLS, then he'd have a chance.  But no.  Its not gonna happen.  He'll come crawling back to the CSA, and the CSA will bend over and take him back.  

This episode leaves me with 2 conclusions: Bustos is a low down dirty bitch and the Whitecaps couldnt care less about the CMNT.

Its a good pat on the back for him, and I'm sure lots of guys here would have loved to be professional athletes.

As proud and informed Canadians, however, it seems absurd and selfish to turn your back on the country that gave you opportunity and gave your family opportunity. It's not very Canadian. If Marco was signed by a huge European club, no one here would be bashing him out of jealousy.. which is basically what you are saying.

There is a difference between personal achievement and pissing on your country and countrymen. 

I can guarantee you even if that happened there would be plenty of people on here slamming him for that too! That he's selfish, he's a traitor, and he's turning his back on his country!

I can guarantee that youre a cocksucking moron.  Get lost!

So sorry to hear about your son being cut from the u14 boys rec soccer team 20 years ago! You will have to get over it! But on the other hand I'm glad his operation is a success and maybe now he/ she can play for the senior womens rec team team! And speaking of cock sucking I heard your son/ daughter is an expert at that !

Archived