Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

Maybe there is more to the story.  As it seems to be an unofficial tournament for the Chilean U20s that would mean he could use the games for development and come back to Canada right?  From that perspective it would make sense for him to go and for the Caps to advise it as well. 

As a player of Chilean descent he could get his one chance to wear their strip and then commit to us for life.  The States have had a lot of back and forth guys as well, although Bustos situation is definitely "unique".

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bustos needs to attend this camp before he figures out what he wants to do and I really dislike "fanatics" trying to have a say in the matter. These "fanatics" want to sign Brazilians, banish youth multi-nationals and start a national pro league...

Bustos needs to attend this camp before he figures out what he wants to do and I really dislike "fanatics" trying to have a say in the matter. These "fanatics" want to sign Brazilians, banish youth multi-nationals and start a national pro league...

Bustos should not be attending any national camps of any country that isn't canada. The only thing Bustos needed to work out is what kind of person he is and wants to be. If he does switch to play for chile, he will show that he is a person lacking loyalty and integrity.

I really don't like "Canadians" pretending to be another nationality when they've never lived a day there. Shame on Marco. And shame on anyone condoning this behaviour.

I just don't understand players treating national team duties as an extensions of a pro career. The kid was born and raised in canada. He's never even lived in Chile. Where is the fucking pride in your country? Don't you want to be part of the solution?

Football players = big egos. It's all about "me" and they all want to prove to world that they are the best there is at what they play in the world. They don't care about patriotism or fraternity and the only way this kind of situation is going to stop is improving the program to the point that we, Canadian fans and the rest of the world, can see Canada at the WC. I'm just stating the obvious, I know, but it has to be told.

The only thing we can do as fan is to cheer for the program that represent us as a nation, and not for the players.

Not all the fans want to sign Brazilians.  Yes to banishing Bustos.  We don't all think that it's time for a national pro league, but c'mon if it was feasible, what footie fan wouldn't want more professional soccer that was more local to them?  You want to judge people based on that?  

We deserve a say.  Why?  IT'S OUR MONEY that makes them professionals...it's our voices, it's our passion that makes football what it is.  And we are entitled to our opinions.  Bustos is entitled to his choices as well, it's just that you'll find that all of us "fanatics" think he made a choice that was disrespectful to a country that gave him all of his opportunities to date, to mercenary himself to a country that is riding a World Cup high.  

You, sir, are entitled to your opinion as well, but I'm certainly entitled to disagree with it, and your assessment with us as an entity that you perceive to be single minded in nature towards all things regarding Canadian soccer.  As fans, we are a multitude of voices, and opinion, not a mindset of drones that cannot think for ourselves.  

What pisses me off is that he was carded by the Canadian National system last year and has bean paid to make sure he represents Canada in the future. if i am corect he recieves $ 10,400. a year and is still recieving monthly checks.

If I'm being honest, I wasn't even aware of that.  If you have a source link to that information, I would like to see it?

Joke of a post, pretty much wrongheaded start to finish. He "needs" to? I don't think you understand the definition of the word need.

If you ask a wider cross section of Canadians how they feel about Canadian born, raised and trained athletes deciding to compete for another country you are going to find out its not just people here who disapprove. A lot of people view Canada as someing more than a convienience. If you are a relative of the kid some people might be too polite to even say they don't like it to your face... Because they are Canadians.

Also claiming everybody who is unhappy about this wants to sign brazilians and start a national pro league is a generalization and yet another comment in your post that is wrong. I don't agree with any of those last few generalizations you made myself.

CSA should be asking the front office of the whitecaps about this as soon as possiable.

The whitecaps have shown time and time again that they dont care about Canada so I am not surpised if it is true that they encouraged Bustos to make this decision.

What a disgrace...

I don't have any attachment to an 18 year old prospect, but it really frustrates me to see a born and raised Canadian use Canadian resources to develop his career, and then bolt for another country at the first opportunity. Maybe I'm just showing pride in my own country, but I just don't understand how anyone can turn their back on a country that has given them a better life than the majority of the world's population can even dream.

I hope the Whitecaps cut this loser for turning his back on Canada, but I'm not holding my breath

Well another selfish, mercenary, deserting piece of shit has taken advantage of Canadian resources and stabbed us in the back, quelle surprise.

It will keep happening as long as we allow ourselves to be victimized. We blame the CSA, Canada, multiculturalism, stars of the Zodiac, everybody but the perpetrator of the action. These clods use social media to promote themselves, I say take to social media and give them some true promotion.

If the Caps, in any way, are cool with this, they deserve as JFK said "a full retaliatory" response" as well. Flood them with emails and social media messages showing your anger and make them pay the price

As CMNT fan Howard Beale said "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

If you desire change remember this "Nothin' happens til somethin' happens".  Act accordingly.

Here's what I know. The camp is in July which is not in a FIFA international window, so the Whitecaps could have said no. They didn't even have to agree to get Bustos on the national team. He could get his freak flag out to see that. I don't think that calling him names will do anything but close the door to Canada. Sure I'm pissed off, but seeing that would make a kid even better of shunning Canada. I disagree with his decision, but I wouldn't call him names, because he could still play for Canada.

If I'm being honest, I wasn't even aware of that.  If you have a source link to that information, I would like to see it?

Here is the link:

Okay here is hoping there is a "pay it back if you represent someone else" clause in those contracts. I doubt it but there should be.

And yes I'm the one saying "sign a bunch of Brazilians". Why not? Hell if FIFA wants to make this whole thing a joke like they have then play along. Germany has a Brazilian playing for them so does Spain. Italy had 7 out of 11 players on their futsal MNT who were Brazilian, so does Russia. FIFA has made it a joke. 

As far as I'm concerned if you play for the U17 and up you should be cap tied. You have up to the age of getting your drivers license to figure out what you want to do and live with it. It used to bother me a lot but now I just see the whole thing as a joke that is being played on us repeatedly. Until FIFA changes the rules do what everyone else is and exploit the existing rules to our maximum advantage.

An interesting approach would be to bring on 3 young subs every cap tie game and give them a quick look. That or have a couple of official games a year for just that purpose. Call Marco up and see if he answers. Start the cap tie process a lot younger.

It is things like this that make me appreciate Milan all the more. 

Here's what I know. The camp is in July which is not in a FIFA international window, so the Whitecaps could have said no. They didn't even have to agree to get Bustos on the national team. He could get his freak flag out to see that. I don't think that calling him names will do anything but close the door to Canada. Sure I'm pissed off, but seeing that would make a kid even better of shunning Canada. I disagree with his decision, but I wouldn't call him names, because he could still play for Canada.

The more I read about the Whitecaps in this thread, the more I feel disappointed. If the Whitecaps have something to do in this, then the program has very serious issues.

I heard that the Caps paid for his flight to Chile and also a friend of mine lives near Bustos and he said he saw Kerfoot packing his bag for him. 

If there is one thing this shows us it's that the $17M training centre they are building for the first team, residency and national team is a front for there hatred of Canadians.  This definitely wasn't a individuals poor choice, it's a conspiracy of the highest order.

Fucking Caps.     

Canada's mens programs really have to start having success on the field.  We continue to pay the price for our languishing national teams.  This doesn't excuse Bustos or the supportive attitude of at least one of his teammates but these recurring defections won't abate until Canada can put up respectable results.

I fully expect Marco Bustos will have only limited success within the Chilean program.  The CSA shouldn't take him back (if that's even possible) when he fails.  Sends a message of what is acceptable.

I heard that the Caps paid for his flight to Chile and also a friend of mine lives near Bustos and he said he saw Kerfoot packing his bag for him. 

If there is one thing this shows us it's that the $17M training centre they are building for the first team, residency and national team is a front for there hatred of Canadians.  This definitely wasn't a individuals poor choice, it's a conspiracy of the highest order.

Fucking Caps.     

LMAO. Well played sir, well played. 

I would like to see some substantiation behind the accusations that the Whitecaps support Canadians playing for other countries. Maybe they encourage all their youth to play for the Canadian national team but if a player chooses something else what do you do?

Now the $10k a year he is getting from Canadian taxpayers (like you and me)? That's another story. I want it all back with interest and yes that clause should be in all of those agreements.

I kinda think we should take these defectors back for depth but if it ever comes down to a roster decision between them and another Canadian then it is an easy choice.  That would be the true heart break.. imagine Bustos missing out on the 2022 World Cup roster because of his participation in a U20 camp for Chile in 2014?  That sends a pretty strong message while doing what's best for the program.

Now the $10k a year he is getting from Canadian taxpayers (like you and me)? That's another story. I want it all back with interest and yes that clause should be in all of those agreements.

Is there anything the government can realistically do to get this money back? How can someone take money to represent a country and at the same time decide to play for another country?

Archived