Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of where TFC's growth in popularity might come from in future, this quote from Jonathan Osorio from an article earlier in the month perhaps says it best. Ironically this article is written by a member of the media complaining about the lack of TFC coverage from the rest of the media:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/06/toronto-fc-deserves-to-be-taken-seriously-after-another-dominating-performance

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4447-August-31st-B.C.-Toronto&s=ee0759a2e2f1549f94e7da5b1df22c58

EXCLUSIVE MEMBER TICKET OFFER
Invite up to four (4) of your friends and family and experience an Argos game on us!
As an Argos All Access member, we’d like to say thanks with this EXCLUSIVE TICKET OFFER so your friends and family can experience the Argos play at home, on Wednesday August 31st at 7:30 p.m. when the Argos battle the Lions at BMO Field. You’ll also receive FREE ADMISSION to the CNE by showing your game tickets! To take advantage of this offer, visit argosallaccess.ca*now to select how many tickets you would like, either two (2) or four (4). Once you’ve claimed this offer, we will send you an email on Monday August 29th with a link to select your seats. You have until Sunday, August 28th at 11:59 p.m. to claim this offer. *Tickets are available on a first come, first serve basis. Subjected to availability.

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In terms of where TFC's growth in popularity might come from in future, this quote from Jonathan Osorio from an article earlier in the month perhaps says it best. Ironically this article is written by a member of the media complaining about the lack of TFC coverage from the rest of the media:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/06/toronto-fc-deserves-to-be-taken-seriously-after-another-dominating-performance

Larsun's been posting a lot on the RPB boards in the equivalent thread.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Just to put some perspective on the first season with the Argos at BMO. Here is a screencap of the pitch at the Stadion Maksimir for the Croatia / Iceland match. I think the groundskeepers have done a great job with the pitch at BMO this year.

wNoOnTO.png

I NOTICED THAT AND WAS THINKING TO MYSELF EXACTLY THE SAME THING. SOMETIMES PEOPLE LIKE TO COMPLAIN JUST FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLAINING.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather looks like its corporating again like it has all season no rain in the forecast for today's game, so it should be okay for the TFC Impact Wednesday night only challenge will be the logos on the field and the lines , this will be the shortest turnaround from CFL football to TFC soccer at BMO I think the shortest turnaround before now has been 5 days . The teams only practised on the field just the one day yesterday the other practises and on field media functions have been held at one of the full field soccer domes in Toronto so other than the one practice yesterday at BMO and today's game the field has not seen any activity on it, so should be ok for for Wednesday nights game. It looked like initially with the time of year and the only 3 day turnaround that the field would be an issue for the TFC Impact game 3 days later, but with good field management by BMO Field and with the good weather it looks like it will be ok.

Sorry Joe I thought you were up to date on everything CFL you are losing your touch just a bit maybe lol, but the band One Republic will be playing on a stage set up in the north end, the cheer leaders I don't know about, but every detail is being looked after to at least try and do the least damage to the field for the big game on Wednesday night , I'm sure the Grey Cup organizers are so happy that TFC and Montreal have gone so far in the MLS playoffs, I'm sure it's not something they wanted to deal with on top of everything else they have had to deal with by having the Grey Cup in Toronto.

Yes they should and they should not care about the Football lines either it will really make it a unique Canadian League, come on you know where the advertising goes on a soccer field no need for logos painted on the field, it's done like this for football because of where the players not on the field are standing.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Yes they should and they should not care about the Football lines either it will really make it a unique Canadian League, come on you know where the advertising goes on a soccer field no need for logos painted on the field, it's done like this for football because of where the players not on the field are standing.

I was just shagging with everyone lol. I don't really think that.

5 hours ago, 1996 said:

Sorry Joe I thought you were up to date on everything CFL you are losing your touch just a bit maybe lol, but the band One Republic will be playing on a stage set up in the north end, the cheer leaders I don't know about,

My mistake, it was Alessia Cara and the cheerleaders at centrefield.

BMO Field's grass whisperer silences skeptics
Home of Grey Cup and Toronto FC faces huge test with big games three days apart.
Laura Armstrong thestar.com Nov. 26, 2016

When Toronto FC kicked off its season back in March, there was as much talk about BMO Field’s grass as there was about the team that would play on it.

With the Toronto Argonauts moving in from the Rogers Centre — a move heavily criticized by Reds fans — all eyes were on head groundskeeper Robert Heggie, who vowed the new football tenants wouldn’t muck up the field for soccer.

Nine months later, the pitch is pristine and many of the doubters have been silenced. But the work is far from done.

After Sunday night’s Grey Cup game between the Ottawa Redblacks and Calgary Stampeders at BMO, Heggie’s crew has just three days to repair and convert the field for Wednesday night’s deciding leg of the MLS Eastern Conference final between Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact.

“I think if we can pull this off . . . that might shut up the rest of the naysayers,” he told the Star.

To pull off the speedy conversion ― in one of the most demanding time frames of the season ― they plan to dig in around the clock, doing roughly six days worth of work in half the time.

That includes scrubbing away the Supaturf, an Australian brand of removable paint used to draw the gridiron, as well as adding green sand as top dressing and green pigment with sprayers.

Luckily, the field has not been played on since TFC’s last home game on Oct. 30. Three games in that week took a toll on the pitch, but the lengthy break means the grass is as full and healthy as it’s been all season, even with cooler temperatures.

“It’s next to perfect. It’s as good as it’s been since before the first Argos game, I’d say right now,” Heggie said Wednesday.

Heggie had a backup plan in place this season, using turf that grows in the Hamilton area, but has never needed it.

“If there was CFL playoffs here and other things happening and the timeline was a little tighter, something might have happened,” he said.

The grass will need to be replaced before next season, though, after the NHL descends for the outdoor Centennial Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings on Jan. 1.

How do you plant a new field in Toronto in February? Stadium general manager Peter Church said Heggie and his team have been working on solving that problem for about a year.

Their solution: a $500,000 cover, bought in Europe, that will be placed over the field like a heated bubble. Heggie’s crew can then re-sod and grow the grass no matter how bad the weather gets.

Church estimates Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has spent more than $7 million in total on grow lights, Supaturf, the cover and tools for maintaining the pitch. That’s money well spent, he adds.

“It really turned BMO Field into a world-class facility when it comes to ground technology.”

Heggie has said in the past that he asks star players Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco for input about the field’s condition and there have been no complaints.

Unlike in Montreal on Tuesday, where the first leg of the series was delayed by more than 40 minutes because Olympic Stadium’s 18-yard boxes were painted too narrow, Heggie doesn’t expect any hiccups in the finale. He plans to follow a simple motto to make sure: “Measure twice, paint once is the rule of thumb.”

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I don't watch the CFL very often but that was a great game. It did look like the players cleats were tearing out some chunks of turf though. 3 days is not very long to repair the field especially in November weather.

Worst comes to worse, they do have the backup turf growing in Hamilton. No idea what the turnaround and that would be though 

Archived