NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pasher is a good player, but sometimes sh*t happens. It's not the end of the world as long as he works hard. Roger Thompson spent last season in the Finnish 3rd Division as a 20 yr old CB and parlayed that into a contract with a 1st Division club for this season.

Michal Misiewicz still warming the bench. Can't crack the No.1 SPOT for MKS Swit Nowy Dwor Mazowiecki (polish D3) in a team doomed for relegation. They are dead last 18/18 with 14pts trailing 7pts behind 16th spot which is safe from relegation to D4. 20 out of 34 games have been played this season. Hope to see Misiewicz make at least 1 appearance this season.

I've got a few updates:

In Germany - David Kadoic (windsor native and formally of Windsor Stars and Toronto Croatia) has signed until the end of this season with SV Fortuna Regensburg (6th tier), which is where Chris Suta is currently on loan. My guess (and only a guess) is that he is hoping to parlay a short spell at this club into an opportunity at a higher level. He was a leading scorer for Windsor last year

In Uruguay - 3 young men who were playing at Oakville Soccer Club in 2012 (with their Senior Men's Team) have joined the ranks of Defensor Sporting in Montevideo. Marco Rodriguez is training with Defensor's reserve side while Adam Bouchard and Nicolas Galvis have joined Defensor's academy (although they can't officially sign with the club until their 18th birthday).

Rodriguez had previously been in South America (can't remember if in Uruguay or Argentina) and had been called into a U20 camp by Valerio Gazzola but didn't make the final cut. He is a very talented left footer and hopefully can earn himself a contract.

Bouchard was a member of the OSA provincial program and was up for consideration by Sean Fleming for the U17 program until an injury left him out of the mix. He played for Milltown in 2011 as a 15 year old and is a very technical player who has a lot of potential to go with a huge passion for the game.

I don't know much about Galvis other than what I saw of him when I caught a match he played in last year for OSC. He is young (not sure if he is much more than 16) and not particularly big but he held his own against a bigger, stronger men's team and was one of OSC's top players in that game. He was coached last year by Rafael Carbajal (assistant for U20 and U23 MNT teams), who was quite high on Galvis' potential to develop into a professional down the road.

Carbajal is the coach who introduced these three boys to Defensor Sporting.

Pasher is a good player, but sometimes sh*t happens. It's not the end of the world as long as he works hard. Roger Thompson spent last season in the Finnish 3rd Division as a 20 yr old CB and parlayed that into a contract with a 1st Division club for this season.

Pasher can't find a decent NCAA school? Finnish 3rd div sounds like pick up level soccer to me.

Do well at NCAA, go through Superdraft and hopefully get picked up by an MLS/NASL team sounds way better than trying to breakthrough via Finnish 3rd div

In Uruguay - 3 young men who were playing at Oakville Soccer Club in 2012 (with their Senior Men's Team) have joined the ranks of Defensor Sporting in Montevideo. Marco Rodriguez is training with Defensor's reserve side while Adam Bouchard and Nicolas Galvis have joined Defensor's academy (although they can't officially sign with the club until their 18th birthday).

Rodriguez had previously been in South America (can't remember if in Uruguay or Argentina) and had been called into a U20 camp by Valerio Gazzola but didn't make the final cut. He is a very talented left footer and hopefully can earn himself a contract.

Bouchard was a member of the OSA provincial program and was up for consideration by Sean Fleming for the U17 program until an injury left him out of the mix. He played for Milltown in 2011 as a 15 year old and is a very technical player who has a lot of potential to go with a huge passion for the game.

Carbajal is the coach who introduced these three boys to Defensor Sporting.

Marco Rodriguez had been with Argentine 3rd tier club Platense. For those wondering, he is a '92. Dino, Bouchard is a '96 then?

REB proved that 2nd division Finland is scouted by B2 clubs. NCAA is certainly not.

helluva long shot IMO. at least going NCAA route, he has a back up in form of education for his life. heck, even PDL/NCAA is better for his development right now than Finnish 3rd div.

Pasher can't find a decent NCAA school? Finnish 3rd div sounds like pick up level soccer to me.

Do well at NCAA, go through Superdraft and hopefully get picked up by an MLS/NASL team sounds way better than trying to breakthrough via Finnish 3rd div

Let's see, get paid to play and have an opportunity to get scouted to the Veikkasliga where i can get paid more than MLS despite it being a lower level of play (and have a better shot of making it), or go to school and hope to be one of the top 38 players so i can sign with MLS? I'd go to Finland...

helluva long shot IMO. at least going NCAA route, he has a back up in form of education for his life. heck, even PDL/NCAA is better for his development right now than Finnish 3rd div.

Schools will always be there and believe me, there aren't many full rides so it would have cost him a fair bit of $$ more than likely to go the NCAA route.

Going this route ensures that you are being seen by professional scouts, even if they are only pro scouts within Finland. It is definitely a long shot but that is the reality for a young Canadian footballer who has the desire to go pro. Its a crapshoot. Which is why we must address this problem with a Canadian solution.

I always disagree with this statement. If youre young and have the potential then follow your dreams, you can always go back to school, you can never turn back the clock. 3rd tier in Finland is a better situation than NCAA in a purely football sense.

Going this route ensures that you are being seen by professional scouts, even if they are only pro scouts within Finland. It is definitely a long shot but that is the reality for a young Canadian footballer who has the desire to go pro. Its a crapshoot. Which is why we must address this problem with a Canadian solution.

So true. Look at the guys who made it to the Finale of the U17 Cocacaf Cup last time. Where are the guys now? Not storming up the professionals ranks, that's for sure. A generation of talented guys just going to waste. And the guys that qualified for the World Cup recently, should make better choices if they want to go pro.

I would advise the Finnish second (or third) league always over an MLS entry-level contract. It's only a problem to stay in a league like that too long, if you're not scouted after a season, get the hell out of there. But hey, if you don't try you'll never know.

I always disagree with this statement. If youre young and have the potential then follow your dreams, you can always go back to school, you can never turn back the clock. 3rd tier in Finland is a better situation than NCAA in a purely football sense.

I'm not so sure. I guess it depends what kind of education you want, but more often than not, people struggle to go back to school to start and actually complete a degree after having been away for 10 years or more - especially if school wasn't the highest priority in your life as a teenager. I know loads do it, but if you are young and being offered a chance to play and you can come away with a degree while also getting to live a fun university life, I would rarely tell someone to walk away from that. Just my opinion anyway.

Transfermarkt has a keeper from Ottawa, Troy Hernandez, at Wilmington in USL Pro:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/troy-hernandez/profil/spieler_232184.html

Also, Ben Fisk is officially on loan at Charleston:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/ben-fisk/profil/spieler_195863.html

Stefan Vukovic is now listed with the Slask first team:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/stefan-vukovic/leistungsdaten/spieler_214405.html

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah also of note: if you actually scruff around you can find some kids out there who had their scholarships pulled by NCAA schools under dubious circumstances. It's not always the low-risk, sure payoff some people make it out to be.

To further VPjr's update, here's an article from the Toronto Star last week that looks to have gone mostly under the radar:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2013/04/23/young_trio_from_oakville_soccer_club_chasing_pro_dreams_in_uruguay.html

• 2 weeks later...

So Canadians in Germany is sort of my speciality, so you can expect a lot of posts from me on this topic.

I'm just gonna go through some of the players and say a few things.

Olivier Occean - Eintracht Frankfurt (German Bundesliga 1) (1) <-- Eintracht really want to get rid of him, but it will be hard, because his wages are quite high. But I do expect him to leave. But I have no clue where to.

Marcel de Jong - FC Augsburg (German Bundesliga 1) (1) <-- Marcel de Jong is not getting nearly enough playing time at Augsburg. Did you guys see the phenomenal goal he scored a few weeks or so ago against Stuttgart?

somersault after scoring alone is worth watching, but his goal is an absolute beauty!

Samuel Piette - Fortuna Dusseldorf (German Bundesliga 1) (1) U19 <--I don't know very much about him yet, except a few weeks ago he had those really inappropriate Twitter/Instagram comment: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/3-unfortunate-twitter-comments-from-samuel-piette

Julian De Guzman - Jahn Regensburg (German Bundesliga 2) (2) Steven Sandor just wrote an article on him today leaving Jahn Regensburg: http://the11.ca/2013/05/27/jdg-weighing-offers-from-2-bundesliga-clubs-other-teams-in-europe/

Kevin McKenna - FC Köln (German Bundesliga 2) (2) <-- He just got injured really bad, I just wrote an article on that as well: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/16-kevin-mckenna-suffers-serious-injury

Randy Edwini-Bonsu - Eintracht Brausnschweig (German Bundesliga 2) (2) <-- He is linked with Offenbach, but it's no where near a done deal, so what happens to him remains to be seen: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/10-transfer-rumours-randy-edwini-bonsu-to-kickers-offenbach

Jorgo Nika - Eintracht Brausnschweig (German Bundesliga 2) (2) U19 <-- Does anyone have more information on him? I can't seem to find anything about him.

Ismail Benomar - FC Erzgebirge Aue (German Bundesliga 2) (2) U19 <-- I don't think he is still at Erzgebirge Aue, at least to my knowledge.

Marco Lapenna - FC Erzgebirge Aue (German Bundesliga 2) (2) U19 <-- Really nice guy, very easy to contact and great to talk to. Recently did an interview with him: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/13-interview-with-marco-lapenna

Adam Straith - Saarbrucken (German 3.Liga) (3) <-- His contract wasn't renewed, destination unknown: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/17-adam-straith-to-leave-1-fc-saarbruecken-new-club-still-unkown

Janeil Hoilett - FSV Mainz II (German Regionalliga West) (4) <-- Read today in a Mainz forum that a local newspaper said that the club is no longer planning with him

Christopher Scott - Wacker Burghausen II (German Oberliga Bayern Sud) (5) <-- I'm in touch with him and you can expect a story or interview or something about him soon.

Vladimir Vukovic - Sportfreunde Hamborn 07 (German Oberliga Niederrhein) (5) <-- I tried finding this guy, but I have no trace, please help!

Ryan Gyaki - Sievershäger SV (German Verbandsliga Mecklenburg Vorpommern) (6) <-- He was injured for most of the season and is currently more focusin gon the marketing side of things and his studies. I have been in touch with him, but still waiting for a reply.

Ian North - FC Deisenhofen (German Landelsiga Bayern-SudOst) (6) <-- Another one that I have no clue of, if he exists or what. Please provide more info if you have any

You're also missing the following players:

Mahir Hadziresic of SSV Jahn Regensburg II, who is 21 years old and has a second passport of Bosnia-Herzegovina and is 1,87 metres tall and plays as an attacking or regular midfielder.

Victor Oppong of VFR Mannheim, who is 31 years old and 1,81 metres tall and plays as central back.

I'm currently working on a table of Canadians in Germany, but because we are currently in the process of players leaving clubs and new contracts being signed etc, I am still waiting to update it here: http://www.fussballeh.com/canadians-in-germany

Hope you guys find this stuff interesting!

Archived