NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed we are missing: Jelani Smith of SK Sturm Graz in Austria. Never heard of this player. Can anyone tell me something about it?

Also Alain Rochat has a Canadian passport and he joined Young Boys Bern in Switzerland.

I was wondering if I should start covering players in Austria and Switzerland too. I mean they are German speaking too, so why not?

I have noticed we are missing: Jelani Smith of SK Sturm Graz in Austria. Never heard of this player. Can anyone tell me something about it?

Also Alain Rochat has a Canadian passport and he joined Young Boys Bern in Switzerland.

I was wondering if I should start covering players in Austria and Switzerland too. I mean they are German speaking too, so why not?

Rochat was capped one time by the Swiss.

Smith is a '91 who graduated from Florida Gulf Coast Univ. last spring. He's a tall, lanky fellow who used to be a striker and was converted to a defender...or is it the other way around?

Smith is a '91 who graduated from Florida Gulf Coast Univ. last spring. He's a tall, lanky fellow who used to be a striker and was converted to a defender...or is it the other way around?

Thanks for Smith, fussball, jpg, last I heard it wasn't a done deal, and it hadn't been talked about much since then. He hasn't really been playing though, before I post him is there a reserve team he might be playing with?

And Jon, for clarity I am only posting those Canadians who are 1) still eligible for the Canadian National team and 2) have not most recently played a game for another country, which includes youth systems.

Off on loan to Montrose till end of season

In regards to Ferguson, that puts him too low of tier for now to be tracked...although I do have a little higher regard for 4th tier scotland, as opposed to say, 4th tier Bulgaria, I'm trying very hard to follow my own criteria to keep the list from spiralling into something I can't personally be able to track. As it is, the list is overdue for a major update lol

In regards to Ferguson, that puts him too low of tier for now to be tracked...although I do have a little higher regard for 4th tier scotland, as opposed to say, 4th tier Bulgaria, I'm trying very hard to follow my own criteria to keep the list from spiralling into something I can't personally be able to track. As it is, the list is overdue for a major update lol

Yes, but he is still an ICT player

I did a major update today. Here are the players moved and changed, let me know if I made any mistakes.

Checking resources of wiki, soccerway, google search and transfrmrkt before removals.

MOVED

Rick Carreira - Union Kayl-Tetange (Luxembourg Promotion D'Honneur) (2)

moved from FC Muhlenbach-Sandzak in Luxembourg's second tier

Gavin McCallum - Sutton United (English Conference South) (6)

was at Tonbridge, now is listed here

Terry Galloway - VfL Leverkusen (Verbandsliga Mittelrhein) (6)

Was at Hilal Maroc Bergheim (German Oberliga Mittelrhein) (5)

David Kweik

Moved from CWKS Resovia which was in Poland's third tier. Good upward move for him.

Ricky Gomes - SC Mirandela (Portuguese Campeonato Nacional Group H) (3)

was with União Montemor, Group H, same league

REMOVED

Nate Foster Bowen - Dandenong Thunder SC (Victorian Premier League) (2)

Could not find

Raheem Alibhai - ES Bingerville (Cote D'Ivoire Premiere Division) (1)

Transfermarket lists him as retired

Nigel Marples - HB Koge (Danish 1st division) (2)

LIsted as unknown, probably out of contract

Shadrack Mmunga - FC Erzgebirge Aue (German Bundesliga 2) (2) U19

While John and Crosby still seem to be here, Mmunga is listed as unknown

Vito Poletto - FC Memmingen II (German Regionalliga Bayern (4)

Listed as unknown

Jonathan Lao - Rot-Weiss Erfurt II (German Oberliga NOFV-Süd) (5)

Must have missed removing him a while ago, he's with York University Lions

David Malamura - SC Fürstenfeldbruck II (German Oberliga Bayern Süd) (5)

I think he might be with the Trinity Western Spartans back in Canada now. Not listed with his father's club anymore though

Igor Pisanjuk - Vasas Budapest (Hungarian NB II East (2)

Currently unemployed

Maher Husseini- Kaposvari Rakoczi FC(Hungarian NB II West (2)

Is actually listed with the reserve squad, which is too low of tier.

Manjrekar James - Pecsi MFC II (Hungarian NB III) (3)

Reserve squad again too low of tier. I looked and couldn't find this team in NB III, may have been relegated. Hard to say.

Paco Deckers - SC Heerenveen (Dutch Eredivisie) (1) U19

Could not find his team

Donnie MacGregor - Otago United (New Zealand Football Championship) (1)

Team is now called Southern United, and he isn't listed. Could not find.

Patrick Majcher - Slask Wroclaw (Polish Ekstraklasa) (1)

Is in the reserve squad, which is in Liga III there, which is 4th tier, too low.

Jordan De Graaf - CFR Cluj (Romanian Liga 1) (1) Reserves

Couldn't find anything current on the young man, he may still be there?

Troy Hernandez - Wilmington Hammerheads (USL Pro) (3)

Now plays with Baltimore Blast in an indoor soccer league.

Thanks for Smith, fussball, jpg, last I heard it wasn't a done deal, and it hadn't been talked about much since then. He hasn't really been playing though, before I post him is there a reserve team he might be playing with?

And Jon, for clarity I am only posting those Canadians who are 1) still eligible for the Canadian National team and 2) have not most recently played a game for another country, which includes youth systems.

Here is his profile at Sturm Graz and an article with some info on him. It (I am mixing info from the article and posts below it) says he trialed in the summer but they were not quite convinced but remained interested. Also states that Aaron Winter discovered him and recommended him to Ajax where he also trialed. Ajax liked him but Holland has a minimum salary for a non-EU player to sign with a Dutch club and the club found that too expensive so recommended him to Trencin in Slovakia who have some sort of partnership with Ajax. Trencin offered him a 3 year deal but he turned it down apparently because he thought he still had chances with Ajax and Graz. With Graz he has a contract until the end of the season with performance and appearance premiums. One of the reasons he signed with Graz is he thought he could learn a lot from their head coach Darko Milanic who was an excellent defender during his playing years.

Sturm sports director Gerhard Goldbrich on Smith, "Already in the summer Jelani Smith had showed us a lot of his ability. He has a lot of potential and hopes to make a professional career in Europe with Sturm Graz. Now he has the chance with a performance linked contract that is tied in to number of appearances." Coach Milanic states, "Jelani has a great deal of potential which I was able to see during his trial with us and from this moment will work with us on improving his abilities. He will join our training session today. (Nov. 14, 2013)"

As much as we have all suffered the million pricks of disappointment of potential talent gone to waste, it does sound rather promising.

http://www.sksturm.at/teams/profis/kader/einzelansicht/?tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Bplayer%5D=5&tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Baction%5D=show&tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Bcontroller%5D=Player&cHash=d8cc77efffc1b1b84aec04d4ecb2c5cc

http://www.sturm12.at/kurzmeldung/jelani-smith-bis-sommer-bei-sturm/

^ He represented us recently (COTIF tournament, i think), so I assume he does. His mum was born in Canada, so he is automatically Canadian as long as he has simply filed the paperwork.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/?t=roster&pid=13014

That right? That changes everything in my mind, thanks for the link, changing name color. I don't claim to know everything, but if you guys research it, I will post it :)

Here is his profile at Sturm Graz and an article with some info on him. It (I am mixing info from the article and posts below it) says he trialed in the summer but they were not quite convinced but remained interested. Also states that Aaron Winter discovered him and recommended him to Ajax where he also trialed. Ajax liked him but Holland has a minimum salary for a non-EU player to sign with a Dutch club and the club found that too expensive so recommended him to Trencin in Slovakia who have some sort of partnership with Ajax. Trencin offered him a 3 year deal but he turned it down apparently because he thought he still had chances with Ajax and Graz. With Graz he has a contract until the end of the season with performance and appearance premiums. One of the reasons he signed with Graz is he thought he could learn a lot from their head coach Darko Milanic who was an excellent defender during his playing years.

Sturm sports director Gerhard Goldbrich on Smith, "Already in the summer Jelani Smith had showed us a lot of his ability. He has a lot of potential and hopes to make a professional career in Europe with Sturm Graz. Now he has the chance with a performance linked contract that is tied in to number of appearances." Coach Milanic states, "Jelani has a great deal of potential which I was able to see during his trial with us and from this moment will work with us on improving his abilities. He will join our training session today. (Nov. 14, 2013)"

As much as we have all suffered the million pricks of disappointment of potential talent gone to waste, it does sound rather promising.

http://www.sksturm.at/teams/profis/kader/einzelansicht/?tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Bplayer%5D=5&tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Baction%5D=show&tx_playerlist_playerlist%5Bcontroller%5D=Player&cHash=d8cc77efffc1b1b84aec04d4ecb2c5cc

http://www.sturm12.at/kurzmeldung/jelani-smith-bis-sommer-bei-sturm/

Thanks Grizz that answers all my questions, adding him as is to Graz, but can't help but feel that an appearance based contract has actually cost him appearances considering the praise...oh well...

RE: Jelani Smith I followed him somewhat in 2012 as he was on the same college team as Daniel Stanese and Nathan Ingham. He was captain of the team IIRC and played defender although he wore #9 and was listed as a forward.

Shows a lot about MLS scouting that this kid wasn't even on the radar of ONE MLS club to be drafted, yet clubs in Europe are offering him actual contracts. I mean at the very least a Canadian team should have been watching FGCU with 3 Canadians on it and clued in.

Archived