Stade Saputo.... Canada's Best Stadium ?

Trillium

I think the reno's were very well done, the new West end stand is great, with beer concession close to Ultras section.

The sound in the stadium was good, for chants etc.

I did not find any downsides yesterday with the physical plant, and service staff were happy and pleasant, even the girls showing the Kia Impact car were into the game.

Any other impressions ?

Surely the CSA has to think putting Women's Nastional Team games in the stadium should be a priority.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also threw somebody in my section out for throwing streamers (just like they do in Toronto) at the corner. Security hassled us all night, to sit down, and not wave our flags.

Apparently they want bodies in the park, but then we are supposed to sit still and drink tea.

Well I was surprised at the atmosphere..................wonderful.................. the fans were pumped from the beginning.

The sound stays in thus making it very loud.

The biggest difference I felt was the politeness of the staff. They have hired some very young stewards that seem to be well trained at making the fan feel at home.

I was a bit surprised it wasn't a sellout which is good for the fans as management have to work for success and maybe not jack up prices as other teams have done in Montreal.

Lots of concessions and easy to get a beer in your seat, and a smoking section for those who need to have a puff.

Bernier stole the show and made me think Hart will be calling if he keeps this up.

No reason to ever play at Olympic stadium again.......I don't care how cold it is.

They also threw somebody in my section out for throwing streamers (just like they do in Toronto) at the corner. Security hassled us all night, to sit down, and not wave our flags.

Apparently they want bodies in the park, but then we are supposed to sit still and drink tea.

Nobody has thrown streamers at BMO for years. Not ones that hit the field that's for sure, automatic ban.

The stadium really does look good.

Can't wait to see a game there again.

It looked good on tv. Painting the metal blue provided a nice contrast to the white. Now we have 2 CMNT WC qualifying quality stadiums.

Not sure why one section had a lot of empty seats. Ultras kinda get lost on tv by being right behind the net - should be in corner if looking for max tv time. Good to see they can use smoke bombs? Loved they did The Ponzan - first for Cdn supporters group I assume!

There needs to be less talking by the announcer during the run of play.

I assumed RDS did the production as their inexperience again showed. Prime example is missing the ref showing the red card - a classic moment that can't be missed.

It looked good on tv. Painting the metal blue provided a nice contrast to the white. Now we have 2 CMNT WC qualifying quality stadiums.

Not sure why one section had a lot of empty seats. Ultras kinda get lost on tv by being right behind the net - should be in corner if looking for max tv time. Good to see they can use smoke bombs? Loved they did The Ponzan - first for Cdn supporters group I assume!

I assumed RDS did the production as their inexperience again showed. Prime example is missing the ref showing the red card - a classic moment that can't be missed.

At least the truck i saw outside was from them not sure who was pushing the buttons, you do hope the catch the red card adminstered and the rrefs expression. I thought the grass held up well the extra width of the sod seemed to help should be very good in a couple of weeks in the growth period.

You have to wonder if Videotron hurt themselves with the yellow bang sticks and yellow jerseys they had throughout the stadia, sponsors still seem to not get it ... and i dont blame the club its really the sponsors who need to be sensitive to supporting the club not just throwing their own colours into the mix.

I am not in favor of bang sticks, nor of various vuvezuelas ...they should be rooted out and not used or handed out.

Let folks learn to clap and sing.... a Quebec crowd should have that whole stadium rocking with chants and songs (

).

Overall brilliant opener for Impact in the new and improved Saputo. Very decent sightlines, although in section 126 seems like we had to stand to see what was happening in the southeast corner - and that annoyed some people in the crowd. Heaven forbid we stand from time to time.

Great noise from the Ultras - only would be nice to start to have more chants of players rather than the usual allez montreal allez!!

Water fountains were not working yet. And is there any decent beer in the house besides the usual mega-brewery swill?

I saw fruit in a cup on sale and thought that there were maybe some new rules on healthy foods in this country, then remembered that we live under a laissez faire government who wants people to get fat. But nice idea.

well done overall - and great game for Bernier.

Finally - a small rant - would anyone really think of going to see Juventus-PSG in the Olympic stadium when we have such a gorgeous stadium next door? I asked my agent at Impact, and he said that the game is through Eventco and not through Saputo - and so they suspect more money can be made in the Stade Olympic instead of paying to rent Saputo stadium. Some politics behind that no doubt.

Seriously though...they have GOT to be joking. I hope that game falls flat on its face. No one should choose to play inside stade Olympique at any price, let alone watch such a game.

Finally - a small rant - would anyone really think of going to see Juventus-PSG in the Olympic stadium when we have such a gorgeous stadium next door? I asked my agent at Impact, and he said that the game is through Eventco and not through Saputo - and so they suspect more money can be made in the Stade Olympic instead of paying to rent Saputo stadium. Some politics behind that no doubt.

Seriously though...they have GOT to be joking. I hope that game falls flat on its face. No one should choose to play inside stade Olympique at any price, let alone watch such a game.

Are Juventus and PSG going to be okay with playing on the horrid pitch the OS? Or are they going to truck in real grass for that game?

Overall brilliant opener for Impact in the new and improved Saputo. Very decent sightlines, although in section 126 seems like we had to stand to see what was happening in the southeast corner - and that annoyed some people in the crowd. Heaven forbid we stand from time to time.

Great noise from the Ultras - only would be nice to start to have more chants of players rather than the usual allez montreal allez!!

Water fountains were not working yet. And is there any decent beer in the house besides the usual mega-brewery swill?

I saw fruit in a cup on sale and thought that there were maybe some new rules on healthy foods in this country, then remembered that we live under a laissez faire government who wants people to get fat. But nice idea.

well done overall - and great game for Bernier.

If I could get fruit in a cup at BMO, I'd buy it. Does the Impact have a beer sponsor as such?

Watched a bit of the game and the highlites a few times this morning. Congrats Montreal-ers. CNT needs to play at Saputo for the hex. Can't wait to get out to a game there!

Sounds tempting and I'd go for sure, but with the lack of regional support for the CMNT and Canada in general I don't think it would be the best decision. We need to play a friendly there ASAP though, for now.

1. I don't think the ultras care about tv coverage when picking a section.

2. Smoke bombs or flares aren't allowed

3., what's "the poznan"?

Just to let everyone know, we're calling it "l'étoile de la mort" or the Deathstar because it's "incomplete but fully functional". Has a nice ring to it.

In all seriousness I was very impressed with the grass as well... first time they put in new sod 4 years ago it was an absolute disaster, this seems much better.

Jumping arm in arm with your back to the play. Brits call it the Poznan because Man City fans copied Poznan's Ultras after seeing them do it on an away trip.

Oh. It's been done in montreal for the entire time I've been in the group(6 years) and I don't doubt that even the people in vancouver and toronto have been doing it for years and years as well.

Was even done at the honduras friendly in montreal, I think...

I loved the atmosphere in the stadium last night and it was the sound that impressed me the most. With the corners now filled with seats and the short roof holding in a lot of the noise, the sound at the opposite end from the Ultras was loud and clear. I think that will help the Ultras in getting the crowd going in a lot of games. In the past, they did the noise-making but a lot of it thinned out too much to influence fans sitting farther away.

I was fully absorbed in the game and the intimate atmosphere as an Impact fan. However, I couldn't help but constantly imagine what it will be like when the CMNT comes to Saputo. With Tuesday night's WCQ memories at BMO still very fresh, I got the feeling this could become an intimidating place to play with loud support right on top of the pitch. A very encouraging night on many fronts.

Jumping arm in arm with your back to the play. Brits call it the Poznan because Man City fans copied Poznan's Ultras after seeing them do it on an away trip.

It is called the Grecque and has been a standard among Ultras on the Continent for a long time. The Brits have apparently only recently discovered it after Man City played Poznan about a year and a half ago. UM has been doing it for much longer than Man City.

Does anyone have a link to highlights that aren't from TSN or Sportsnet since I can't watch those down here? Like a youtube link or something? Would love to see how the stadium looked and sounded.

yup - we'd get a pro-Canada crowd versus Costa Rica or USA - not sure about the others. People seem to be willing to drive from NYC.

so hard to say for Honduras, El Salvador, and even Jamaica.

I was very impressed by the stadium...need to go there sometime this summer. As for CNMT matches, I would be disappointed if Montreal didn't get one of the games for the Hex (assuming we make it); as long as it isn't Honduras and the ticketing is done right.

It is called the Grecque and has been a standard among Ultras on the Continent for a long time. The Brits have apparently only recently discovered it after Man City played Poznan about a year and a half ago. UM has been doing it for much longer than Man City.

Yah, but it wasn't cool when UM did it. Man City has made it hip to do the "Poznan" and brought it to a world stage.

Archived