Stade Saputo.... Canada's Best Stadium ?

Trillium

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a bit of a kick out of some of the suggestions in the thread that the traveling support for a side like Costa Rica would not be like Honduras. As someone who has been to some Gold cup matches in the past decade at two venues in particular (Foxboro and Miami), let me tell you that the travelling support for Costa rica dwarfs anything that you would see for Honduras. And the costa ricans in the USA do travel and their pressence in he stadiums (much like El Salvador) is far larger than anything that you would see with Honduras. Lastly, yes, there is very large concentration of ticos in the US North east.

yup - we'd get a pro-Canada crowd versus Costa Rica or USA - not sure about the others. People seem to be willing to drive from NYC.

so hard to say for Honduras, El Salvador, and even Jamaica.

I think you got it backwards. Costa Rica will be worst or just as bad as Honduras was As far as Jamaica, there are no practically no Jamaican communities in Montreal and we already played Jamaica in a friendly in Montreal at CCR. It was a few years ago in September and Canada won 1-0 on a Rob Friend goal (header). There were maybe four to six spectators visibly supporting Jamaica so its was one of the more pro canada crowds in my memory as far percentages of the crowd. And, the turnout was pretty good for that one.

In the last WC cycle, things went all wrong with scheduling conflicts. Because the logical thing would have been to play against Jamaica in Montreal (where you know it will be vastly home support) and play Honduras in Toronto. I think that that is what the CSA was hoping for but there was a conflict (which i can recall what it was) so the games got switched.

I got a bit of a kick out of some of the suggestions in the thread that the traveling support for a side like Costa Rica would not be like Honduras. As someone who has been to some Gold cup matches in the past decade at two venues in particular (Foxboro and Miami), let me tell you that the travelling support for Costa rica dwarfs anything that you would see for Honduras. And the costa ricans in the USA do travel and their pressence in he stadiums (much like El Salvador) is far larger than anything that you would see with Honduras. Lastly, yes, there is very large concentration of ticos in the US North east.

Not really. The yanks played Honduras at Soldier Field in Chicago in 2010 world cup qualifying and it was a sell-out. 90% hondurans. Same thing in 2002 qualifying at RFK. Sell out with at least 80% hondos. Costa Rica does not draw numbers like these in the US.

Not really. The yanks played Honduras at Soldier Field in Chicago in 2010 world cup qualifying and it was a sell-out. 90% hondurans. Same thing in 2002 qualifying at RFK. Sell out with at least 80% hondos. Costa Rica does not draw numbers like these in the US.

about six of us, all Voyageurs, we went o see the Gold cup in Miami in January (i think it was 2002). There was one of those deals where you buy a ticket (in our case it was ticket for Canada versus Haiti) that counts for two matches. the Canada-Haiti game was the second match. The first match involved CRC versus Martinique (i think). The crowd was pretty much all Costa Rican for the first match. i believe that the number was 14K for that specific game. Most poured out after the first game and was replaced by Haitians. Who might have been even larger in numbers.

A larger group of V's (some 25-50) went to the CRC-Can game in Foxboro in 2003. Again, a game Canada won 1-0, on a goal by Paul Stalteri. And again, aside from our group, All Tico in the stands. Gillette stadium was NOT close to a sell out. But it was a good crowd. Upper bowl was empty. But Again, Ticos do get large numbers.

Remember, Saputo stadium Capacity in 2008 was about 12K. if there were 10K visiting support, then it would still be less than the Tico that showed up at both venues that i alluded to

Ps.: that was triple header of two GC matches and an MLS game involving Revs vs New York Metrostars

edit: Ironically, Canuck in Boston just posted ahead of me here. he can vouch, since he was one of the people there in Foxboro.

I was there too - that was a friggin long day of soccer. Or maybe it was the Martinique game against Canada that was there. Oh the memories. I guess Canuck in Boston is still in Boston? What a great city. I'm in Montreal now...good but not quite the same.

Tickets in Saputo stadium are already dirt cheap compared to other venues around the league. How much lower to they want to go?

Dirt Cheap .... exaggerate much?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2467-2012-MLS-season-ticket-prices

There is a wopping $42.00 difference on a high end season ticket between Toronto ($1292) and Montreal ($1250).

On the low end, Montreal ($250) is in the middle of the pack, compared to ($99) for Portland.

I think the club did things correctly. They asked for the fans opinions, and price was deemed to be a deterrent. They decided to listen, and lowered their prices.

I agree. The biggest deterrent now is the reputation that it isn't a hotspot to go. If it fills, and looks fun, and people are there HAVING fun...the atmosphere will translate into ticket prices later. Especially if they can get televised, and maybe people switch over and see a party crowd atmosphere. That's half of what makes the Euros so fun to watch. The other is their actual production value. (from a purely productional standpoint, actual teams playing IN the Euros aside!)

Seriously, though, turning on the TV and seeing 300 people in a panned shot where 1000 people should be sitting...that looks depressing and like not much fun. Lowering the ticket prices was a good move to build buzz.

July 8

Another enjoyable evening at Saputo never depressing as this is the best party in town. 12 -15 Columbus supporters...some of them sung the Canadian anthem. Ultras ruled the night again. Only a matter of moments before De Vaio puts one in.

Impact have a team who can compete, that's all a fan should expect this year.

July 8

Another enjoyable evening at Saputo never depressing as this is the best party in town. 12 -15 Columbus supporters...some of them sung the Canadian anthem. Ultras ruled the night again. Only a matter of moments before De Vaio puts one in.

Impact have a team who can compete, that's all a fan should expect this year.

Nice to hear that some of the Columbus supporters were singing the Canadian national anthem, because in a rather disgusting move last night almost all of the Ultras sat down during the American national anthem. Completely took the shine off of the Ultras 10th Anniversary for me last night, just a classless, unnecessary gesture.

Otherwise the stadium and game was really good.

Nice to hear that some of the Columbus supporters were singing the Canadian national anthem, because in a rather disgusting move last night almost all of the Ultras sat down during the American national anthem. Completely took the shine off of the Ultras 10th Anniversary for me last night, just a classless, unnecessary gesture.

Otherwise the stadium and game was really good.

"almost all"? People in the kop have been sitting for the anthems for as long as there has been one, and it has never been almost all, as you say. Never even been close to that amount.

**** anthems at club games anyways, stupid idea.

"almost all"? People in the kop have been sitting for the anthems for as long as there has been one, and it has never been almost all, as you say. Never even been close to that amount.

**** anthems at club games anyways, stupid idea.

I don't want to get into a stupid argument on here, but let me just tell you again what I saw. As soon as the American national anthem came on about 85% of the Ultras in front of me sat down (I was about 15 rows up) all at the same time clearly coordinated. Most of them stood back up for the Canadian anthem.

That was the 6th game I've been to in Montreal this year and the first time I've seen that without a doubt.

That's all I'm going to say on this...

Archived