Stade Saputo.... Canada's Best Stadium ?

Trillium

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fortunate to watch two great Impact wins against Seattle and Houston, and the agony of the TFC game. There was a long ass line to go to the washroom at halftime, something they are lacking. The beer sucks for 9$ plus the tip and the smoked meat sandwich for 7$ was tiny. Better off just buying 3 x 3$ hot dogs at the half. The stade looks pretty neat and will look better once they finish off the east end but i was kinda hoping for something a little more creative and aesthetic given all the new state of the art buildings spurting up in the city. Saputo's is just your quick and easy lego put together (kinda cheapish) it baffles me how it even took them this long to complete or should i say incomplete this project.

I don't want to get into a stupid argument on here, but let me just tell you again what I saw. As soon as the American national anthem came on about 85% of the Ultras in front of me sat down (I was about 15 rows up) all at the same time clearly coordinated. Most of them stood back up for the Canadian anthem.

That was the 6th game I've been to in Montreal this year and the first time I've seen that without a doubt.

That's all I'm going to say on this...

Most of them sit down for both anthems since it's stupid to have anthems at sporting events.

all at the same time clearly coordinated.

That was the 6th game I've been to in Montreal this year and the first time I've seen that without a doubt.

That's all I'm going to say on this...

So shocking the guy who wears a red canada scarf in the middle of people wearing black and blue doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you don't want a stupid argument, don't say something stupid like there was a "clearly coordinated"effort that marrs the 10 year anniversary of the group.

Anyways, I'm probably already passed the limit of how much I can make fun of a v here on this forum without the morality police coming after me, continue on with the usual dumb comments/terribly executed trolling, I'll be back to be an ******* in the open without trying to hide it in a few weeks/months.

So shocking the guy who wears a red canada scarf in the middle of people wearing black and blue doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you don't want a stupid argument, don't say something stupid like there was a "clearly coordinated"effort that marrs the 10 year anniversary of the group.

Anyways, I'm probably already passed the limit of how much I can make fun of a v here on this forum without the morality police coming after me, continue on with the usual dumb comments/terribly executed trolling, I'll be back to be an ******* in the open without trying to hide it in a few weeks/months.

Im-not-here-to-make-friends.jpg

I was fortunate to watch two great Impact wins against Seattle and Houston, and the agony of the TFC game. There was a long ass line to go to the washroom at halftime, something they are lacking. The beer sucks for 9$ plus the tip and the smoked meat sandwich for 7$ was tiny. Better off just buying 3 x 3$ hot dogs at the half. The stade looks pretty neat and will look better once they finish off the east end but i was kinda hoping for something a little more creative and aesthetic given all the new state of the art buildings spurting up in the city. Saputo's is just your quick and easy lego put together (kinda cheapish) it baffles me how it even took them this long to complete or should i say incomplete this project.

I dunno, I think BMO looks cheap from the outside like it is just four stands put together, whereas Saputo looks more like a real stadium (a lot of this has to do with the wrap around) and feels and looks way more cohesive than BMO's four stands.

All in all I was pretty impressed with the set-up of Saputo.

People have the right to do what they want in this country - whether that be to stand and show respect or sit on their lazy ass and try to look as if they make a political statement or choose to wear a red V scarf in an Ultras section.

Playing anthems at club games, despite being "stupid" as some here would describe, is just how things are done in North America. How can you justify sitting during national anthems while you stand almost 90mins of the game? What, is that a kind of tradition: The anthem breaktime /meditation period? And what's so stupid about it, why cause we are the only ones that play the anthems? We are very fortunate to be living in such a beautiful, plentiful, clean, peaceful, law abiding country where opportunity to grow and succeed exists. People that choose to sit down during anthems only show themselves to be selfish, arrogant, immature, ill-mannered ingrates who not only insult the players and coaches on the field that represent our club (Marsch, Arnaud, Valentin, Warner, Bernier, and co.) but for all who have sacrificed and given everything to make this country great. If what Sam says is true, then people should grow the **** up and show some respect for 3mins.

People have the right to do what they want in this country - whether that be to stand and show respect or sit on their lazy ass and try to look as if they make a political statement or choose to wear a red V scarf in an Ultras section.

Playing anthems at club games, despite being "stupid" as some here would describe, is just how things are done in North America. How can you justify sitting during national anthems while you stand almost 90mins of the game? What, is that a kind of tradition: The anthem breaktime /meditation period? And what's so stupid about it, why cause we are the only ones that play the anthems? We are very fortunate to be living in such a beautiful, plentiful, clean, peaceful, law abiding country where opportunity to grow and succeed exists. People that choose to sit down during anthems only show themselves to be selfish, arrogant, immature, ill-mannered ingrates who not only insult the players and coaches on the field that represent our club (Marsch, Arnaud, Valentin, Warner, Bernier, and co.) but for all who have sacrificed and given everything to make this country great. If what Sam says is true, then people should grow the **** up and show some respect for 3mins.

Lord Bob likes this comment.

Thank you. I couldnt have said it better. Many people think anthems before a professional sports event is not necessary. Including myself. But we stand anyways. Because we show respect. We are not not at war. We are in peace time.

While I stand for anthems I find them silly songs glorifying a certain subset of humanity. The "we're better because we are us" is just such an easy manipulation to spot. Race, religion and nationalism are the 3 best ways to divide and conquer groups and get used all the time. Am I proud of my little subset of humanity? Sure on some things I think we've done damn impressive stuff (insulin for example has saved tens of millions of lives). Other times we go along with absolute crap because it is convenient.

The tribalism of humans is frightening at times. Anthems just perpetuate tribal divisions. I'd rather go to a sporting event and just enjoy my little tribe of fans for a few hours. What happens is that the larger tirbe (ie. countries) always want to impose a reminder on who is in control over the smaller tribes (ie. sports fans).

Anyway this whole subset of this thread should be moved to the "General Off-Topic Discussion" forum as it has no relation to the origin of the thread about the quality of a stadium.

While I stand for anthems I find them silly songs glorifying a certain subset of humanity. The "we're better because we are us" is just such an easy manipulation to spot. Race, religion and nationalism are the 3 best ways to divide and conquer groups and get used all the time. Am I proud of my little subset of humanity? Sure on some things I think we've done damn impressive stuff (insulin for example has saved tens of millions of lives). Other times we go along with absolute crap because it is convenient.

The tribalism of humans is frightening at times. Anthems just perpetuate tribal divisions. I'd rather go to a sporting event and just enjoy my little tribe of fans for a few hours. What happens is that the larger tirbe (ie. countries) always want to impose a reminder on who is in control over the smaller tribes (ie. sports fans).

Anyway this whole subset of this thread should be moved to the "General Off-Topic Discussion" forum as it has no relation to the origin of the thread about the quality of a stadium.

Yeah. Celebrating tribalism is harmful. WHITECAPS 'TIL I DIE.

You're right it is off topic to soccer. And yeah, any sociologist would spout roughly the same, and be relatively correct. However, the sociological aspect of humanity is a very real thing, and should not be ignored. To ignore the constructs that we have developed, whether they are a waste of time or not, would be seen as a very offensive thing. At least they would, to those who aren't quite there to your standard of looking down on it all, observing others as a mental exercise.

I agree that too many people use these constructs...anthems, etc, as an excuse to stage war. And perhaps it IS a false sense of pride as you are alluding to. However, is that so wrong? Do you really want to delve into the issue of what nationalism has replaced? The answer is religion, for many. And then, some have BOTH.

You could even get into the whole conspiracy theory side of it. You could say that religion was a means of controlling the masses the same way nationalistic pride is. You could say it causes us to segregate humanity when a worldwide economy would work better. But that's all theory, and most of it is pointless in a world where people are bred this way.

I've always said, if you want to believe in something, believe in yourself. But I, personally, identify as well with the Canadian flag, the Canadian people, and hold a sense of similarity and pride in our "tribe". To me, people degrading our anthem in any way would be seen as disrespectful by me. Like when they hung our flag upside down at the World Series of baseball, no less!

That said, I am definitely aware of the fact that some people see not standing during an anthem as degrading and offensive. Some of those are Americans. If we want to create that sense of global unity, under the social constructs that ARE currently in place in the world today, we have to observe those social constructs, ridiculous or not. It's only right.

OR you can actually try to explain to billions of people why they are stupid, and see how that works for you!

1) You're right it is off topic to soccer.

2) At least they would, to those who aren't quite there to your standard of looking down on it all, observing others as a mental exercise.

3) I agree that too many people use these constructs...anthems, etc, as an excuse to stage war.

4) what nationalism has replaced? The answer is religion, for many. And then, some have BOTH.

5) You could say that religion was a means of controlling the masses the same way nationalistic pride is.

6) and most of it is pointless in a world where people are bred this way.

7) OR you can actually try to explain to billions of people why they are stupid, and see how that works for you!

Boy you go off the deep end at the drop of a hat, any hat.

1) This is my last on this topic.

2) It is not a mental exercise. That would be chess, go & starcraft. It is viewing reality as it is.

3) Too many people are not aware or care that they are manipulated to discriminate and kill each other based on the 3 dividers.

4) Nationalism didn't replace religion. There are 3 big dividers. 1, 2 or all 3 can be used on both sides to justify evil.

5) All 3 are used in that way. You could view nationalism as a form of religion. In its extreme versions nationalism becomes a religion.

6) So in a world where most people are born and raised to be racist that is okay? Don't think so.

7) No thanks. I'm not into forcing my views onto others. I'm happy to live and let live.

Boy you go off the deep end at the drop of a hat, any hat.

1) This is my last on this topic.

2) It is not a mental exercise. That would be chess, go & starcraft. It is viewing reality as it is.

3) Too many people are not aware or care that they are manipulated to discriminate and kill each other based on the 3 dividers.

4) Nationalism didn't replace religion. There are 3 big dividers. 1, 2 or all 3 can be used on both sides to justify evil.

5) All 3 are used in that way. You could view nationalism as a form of religion. In its extreme versions nationalism becomes a religion.

6) So in a world where most people are born and raised to be racist that is okay? Don't think so.

7) No thanks. I'm not into forcing my views onto others. I'm happy to live and let live.

Haha you're right. I wasn't taking my views, I was going totally off the deepend with views out of most sociology blogging sites. Most are absolutely ridiculous. You are right to point that out. In answer to point 6, the sad part is that in a world where people are raised to be bigots with prejudice by sexual orientation, race, country, religion, it, sociologically, IS "okay" (sociologically), because everyone is doing it. And you are correct, that definitely does NOT make it right, morally.

I think we'd agree more than we disagree here, I was just being ironic to point out that these overpatriotic feelings over the national anthem aren't likely to change over the next hundred years, so we may as well get used to it.

But we stand anyways. Because we show respect. We are not not at war. We are in peace time.

The guys in Kabul would disagree with you on that one.

Besides, playing of a national anthem at North American sports may have started during World War I with professional baseball in the USA, but continued throughout periods of both war and peace, spreading to multiple leagues. Why do Canadians do it? Because Americans do it, and we share leagues. Should we play national anthems at club matches? If we were starting from scratch, I would say not, but it's been an American tradition for about a hundred years, so it isn't going anywhere as long as we share leagues with the USA.

So I stand.

Archived