Jonathan de Guzman out of the picture forever

Nick

If De Guzman said, "I cannot get my Canadian passport sorted without putting my European club career in jeopardy. So unfortunately I am unable to represent Canada now and in the near future. I will try and make the best of this situation and make the Dutch national team. I think people might be less upset

Exactly. I can't really blame him for not wanting to jeopardize his (paying) career, but I can blame the way he handled the situation.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And for this I am sincerely sorry... See I am privy to certain information when it comes to Hoilett. Things that I thought I could divulge but I can't. It is not a secret that he has a deep cultural connection with Jamaica and at the same time he is Canadian...quite conflicting... I have to respect our relations so I won't say much. Whichever decision he makes I have to support him even if I agree/disagree...

I won't say any else regarding his situation. When it is time, he will say.

Which suggests to me he is choosing Jamaica.

Which suggests to me he is choosing Jamaica.

Uggghhh! The damned speculation (AKA No News) continues. Until any player makes the commitment, all speculation is just sh!t.

I always would welcome a coveted athlete into our mix, but stringing fans along or using some leverage or hedging is just wrong. I'd rather base our hopes on our existing strengths: solid GKs like Borjan; strong play from Edgar, Occean, De Rosario, Hainault, Jazic, Ricketts, Jackson, and Johnson. Good form from De Guzman, and lest everyone forgets, the pending return of Josh Simpson.

We need a team that gels for a purpose, rather than a squad of prima donnas who play for self-glory.

If any player chooses another country, that's too bad, they might regret it and not be called again. But whatever.

I had a rough day today, but reading this thread just perked me up...ya'll are funny as heck!!!!
You bet we are! That's why there are more of you fellas living in Canada than there are living in Jahmaika, mahn. It ain't so funny living back there, is it? Why are there so many Jahmaikans in Canada anyways? Seriously?

Uggghhh! The damned speculation (AKA No News) continues. Until any player makes the commitment, all speculation is just sh!t.

I always would welcome a coveted athlete into our mix, but stringing fans along or using some leverage or hedging is just wrong. I'd rather base our hopes on our existing strengths: solid GKs like Borjan; strong play from Edgar, Occean, De Rosario, Hainault, Jazic, Ricketts, Jackson, and Johnson. Good form from De Guzman, and lest everyone forgets, the pending return of Josh Simpson.

We need a team that gels for a purpose, rather than a squad of prima donnas who play for self-glory.

If any player chooses another country, that's too bad, they might regret it and not be called again. But whatever.

Yes, but it feels better to assume that Hoillet will not suit up for us than to wait around to get the final news. But I agree with the notion that we should focus our energies on the lads who have indeed pledged commitment to our country.

As for a bluff, it still seems a silly ploy all around. Wouldn't there be another way to communicate what he wanted to convey to potential employers than this? Maybe not. What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. No?

Frankly I call BS on all that speculation. Julian can say what he wants, I heard what I heard in that interview, and that was answer enough for me. Jonathan is done with Canada. Until I hear otherwise, everything else is rampant speculation based off of little more than one twitter comment that wasn`t even very specific. I`m calling a duck a ****ing duck here, it is what it is, get over it.

You bet we are! That's why there are more of you fellas living in Canada than there are living in Jahmaika, mahn. It ain't so funny living back there, is it? Why are there so many Jahmaikans in Canada anyways? Seriously?
Geez, doan go dere beaver mahn, da white guilt peeps be callin you a racist like Joe Mac mahn. Well played dho beaver mahn. jahmanagain just doin da trollin shenanigans mahn, no autopsy no foul mahn.

Since I would never live in a place like Canada, I have visited, nice place and all, so why not ask one of the Jahmaikans and please oh please, use the same accent you tried here. I am sure you will get a whoop....errr answer.

I would rather never make another World Cup in my lifetime than go to the World Cup regularly with players like Jonathon. After his statement, if the CSA has any balls and morals he should be permanently removed from the pool of possible Canadian players.

Since I would never live in a place like Canada, I have visited, nice place and all, so why not ask one of the Jahmaikans and please oh please, use the same accent you tried here. I am sure you will get a whoop....errr answer.
Ha! I was wondering how long it would take before you'd threaten violence. You trolls are all the same. Silly, silly man. You fell faster than most.

Ha! I was wondering how long it would take before you'd threaten violence. You trolls are all the same. Silly, silly man. You fell faster than most.

Uhh, I hate to break this to you, but telling you you would get your ass kicked for doing a hokey Jamaican accent to a Jamaican expat in Canada isn't threatening violence...

TFC's de Guzman thinks brother's Canada snub is a bluff

TORONTO — The de Guzman brothers really need to get their stories straight.

Two days after Jonathan de Guzman all but closed the door on suiting up for his native country by saying he's committed to remaining with the Netherlands, his older brother Julian said he doesn't believe him.

“Honestly, I think it’s a bluff,” the elder de Guzman (above) said after Toronto FC training on Thursday. “I still have hopes that he will be a part of the Canadian national team. He’s yet to put on a Dutch jersey.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/15/tfcs-de-guzman-thinks-brothers-canada-snub-bluff

TFC's de Guzman thinks brother's Canada snub is a bluff

TORONTO — The de Guzman brothers really need to get their stories straight.

Two days after Jonathan de Guzman all but closed the door on suiting up for his native country by saying he's committed to remaining with the Netherlands, his older brother Julian said he doesn't believe him.

“Honestly, I think it’s a bluff,” the elder de Guzman (above) said after Toronto FC training on Thursday. “I still have hopes that he will be a part of the Canadian national team. He’s yet to put on a Dutch jersey.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/15/tfcs-de-guzman-thinks-brothers-canada-snub-bluff

Jono can bugger off at this point. If he was trying to gain some leverage that will advance his club situation, then he didn't need to do it on a Canadian sports show during WC qualifying. Leave that $hit in Europe.

As for Julian, I hope he doesn't get drawn into this farce any further. I will lose a lot of respect for him if he becomes in active agent in Jono's 'he said, she said' bull$hit.

Uhh, I hate to break this to you, but telling you you would get your ass kicked for doing a hokey Jamaican accent to a Jamaican expat in Canada isn't threatening violence...
Do you mean to say it was a come on? Wow, the mating rituals of our Caribbean brothers and sisters are indeed complex. Thanks for the tip. (That's what she said).

this is my bold prediciton:

Jdg2 will never make the dutch squad. If canada makes the hex, he will play for canada. If not, he will never play international ball.

Hoilett will play for canada either in the fall or in the hex. *****. Quote me on this, i have sources.

quoted!

As for Julian, I hope he doesn't get drawn into this farce any further. I will lose a lot of respect for him if he becomes in active agent in Jono's 'he said, she said' bull$hit.
He should just become Jono's agent. Then, he can whisper in his ear, "Bro, I can make you some serious cash. All you gotta do is play for Canada."

First off, I have to say that Jono could have been one of the greats of his generation, but this guy is just a huge prima donna. His attitude attributes directly to how his stock has fallen, because his work rate is abysmal. He thinks everything should be handed to him on a silver platter, but history is never on the side of young talent who has fallen from grace. I think this kid is going to have a long road back to redemption.

If he really had the attitude of a winner, he would have chosen to play for Canada already, especially considering the pride he seems to have for this country. Nothing would stand in his way, and the big clubs in Europe would be fighting over him and he would be getting the big endorsement deals regardless of which country he represented.

I dunno, but this kid is big time messed up, I feel sad for him.

Archived