Jonathan de Guzman out of the picture forever

Nick

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its funny because his club career the last few years has been a mirror image of his international flirtations. He was on the rocks at Feyernoord and was given a chance at Mallorca where he ended up doing well and carving out a spot for himself but was not satisfied and jumped ship to Villareal where he ended up not even making the match day 18 for a big part of the season on a team that was relegated and had its worst record in years.

It could be that his sole reason is that he does'nt want to give up his dutch nationality which may be required, I guess I could understand that to some degree, but if he is passing to try and get into the dutch squad lol at not learning his lesson after his stint at Villareal.

I think he couldn't get the Canadian passport without giving up his Dutch citizenship.. and he isn't willing to do that with an uncertain club future.. I think that if he has a decent year in europe and signs a long term contract he will consider putting on the Red and White in the hex.

Thank you for posting this.

Exactly what I'm saying,

He never said he was going to play with Canada.

He said it's something that he's talked about with his brother (it being a dream to play with him) but at the same time not once committing to anything.

"We've just been talking about it, nothing has been going on so far"

They've looked into the passport situation, but in no way does he want to give up his Dutch nationality and the doors it opens for him to play anywhere in Europe without a Visa.

Basically, it's like letting the girl who likes you down as easily is possible.

"Yeah, you are totally hot and you turn me on.... but I think things would get a little complicated if we were together... don't get me wrong it would be great to be with you... but I'm kind of seeing someone else right now."

Thank you for posting this.

Exactly what I'm saying,

He never said he was going to play with Canada.

He said it's something that he's talked about with his brother (it being a dream to play with him) but at the same time not once committing to anything.

"We've just been talking about it, nothing has been going on so far"

They've looked into the passport situation, but in no way does he want to give up his Dutch nationality and the doors it opens for him to play anywhere in Europe without a Visa.

Basically, it's like letting the girl who likes you down as easily is possible.

"Yeah, you are totally hot and you turn me on.... but I think things would get a little complicated if we were together... don't get me wrong it would be great to be with you... but I'm kind of seeing someone else right now."

Yes, but he gave his brother leave to communicate to Canadians via our media that he is seriously considering playing for Canada, and as a result Hart met with him and Jono's camp started exploring how this could all happen. He should not have told his brother that he could talk to media on his behalf if he was never really considering playing for us. It was all very rash and amaturish, to say the least. So, if fans of Canadian soccer want to unload their anger or frustration on him, then who are you to chastise them? We are allowed to feel pissed off if we want to. That is just how it goes. Who are you anyways, defending Jono with such piety?

Yes, but he gave his brother leave to communicate to Canadians via our media that he is seriously considering playing for Canada, and as a result Hart met with him and Jono's camp started exploring how this could all happen. He should not have told his brother that he could talk to media on his behalf if he was never really considering playing for us. It was all very rash and amaturish, to say the least. So, if fans of Canadian soccer want to unload their anger or frustration on him, then who are you to chastise them? We are allowed to feel pissed off if we want to. That is just how it goes. Who are you anyways, defending Jono with such piety?

Geez, listen to you people, do you make these conversations up in your head? Did you hear Jonathon tell his brother that? No of course you didn't.

So what, the guy looked into his options and discovered it wasn't in his best interest. He has not represented us at any level! nor has he ever committed to representing us at any level. (Guess who he has represented?)

But noooo, he's not even allowed to consider it? To think about playing for Canada? You guys need a serious reality check and stop getting yourselves worked up over your fantasies.

Who am I?

I'm a rational Canadian soccer fan who sees no reason to wish harm and injury upon a family member of one of our players.

What some of you are saying is far more disrespectful to Juilian and his family than what your delusional minds dream up as being a slight upon him by his younger brother.

Grow up, move on and support the team we have, not the team that you somehow convinced yourself that we will have because you jumped to conclusions you shouldn't have.

Fine, be angry, but grow up and show a little of the class you preach that Jonathan lacks.

Geez, listen to you people, do you make these conversations up in your head? Did you hear Jonathon tell his brother that? No of course you didn't.

So what, the guy looked into his options and discovered it wasn't in his best interest. He has not represented us at any level! nor has he ever committed to representing us at any level. (Guess who he has represented?)

But noooo, he's not even allowed to consider it? To think about playing for Canada? You guys need a serious reality check and stop getting yourselves worked up over your fantasies.

Who am I?

I'm a rational Canadian soccer fan who sees no reason to wish harm and injury upon a family member of one of our players.

What some of you are saying is far more disrespectful to Juilian and his family than what your delusional minds dream up as being a slight upon him by his younger brother.

Grow up, move on and support the team we have, not the team that you somehow convinced yourself that we will have because you jumped to conclusions you shouldn't have.

Fine, be angry, but grow up and show a little of the class you preach that Jonathan lacks.

A lot of it has to do with him wearing that damn jacket while giving the interview, to be honest. I know he has an much right as any fan, but he HAD to know that a Canadian interviewer was going to ask him these questions, and that he was going to be on television. Use some damn common sense and take that jacket off before you spout off about not playing for us. It's not a hard concept to understand, that it's going to piss a lot of hardcore fans off. Maybe we wouldn't be so hard on him if it wasn't for that, that lack of social understanding...I mean what a dunce move.

Guys, I know we just ended the last disscussion about JDG2, but here is an interview he did with the score prior to the Honduras game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5RqPNjAtU&feature=plcp

In the video he states that he will not be playing for Canada,

So on this final note I say **** him. He has acknowledged what a positive impact he could have had, but says he stands by his previous decision not to represent his country of birth. I vote that from now on we ban his name from all the forums, and focus on all the positives surrounding our team and players instead.

Good riddance

I love this guy.... the man said it best, I want to play at the highest level..dank je... Hey Jules, if the Dutch thing doesnt pan out, you qualify for Jamaica. Remember since your mom is Jamaican, yuh mi bredda is a yardie.....nuff respect!!!! :cool:

I love this guy.... the man said it best, I want to play at the highest level..dank je... Hey Jules, if the Dutch thing doesnt pan out, you qualify for Jamaica. Remember since your mom is Jamaican, yuh mi bredda is a yardie.....nuff respect!!!! :cool:

Jahman buddy, I know what you're saying, but Jules has been capped and Jono, well, he doesn't think much of Jamaica either cause he "want to play at the highest level". He wants to play for the Dutch, if that ever happens. Hard to get noticed if he plays 2nd division in Spain, or maybe his talents are NOT valued by the Dutch themselves, but whatever.

Also this is a CANADIAN SUPPORTERS site, and as mods we are allowing our supporters to vent their disappointment in their own way, logical or not. (But we'll kill this thread soon enough.)

Jahman buddy, I know what you're saying, but Jules has been capped and Jono, well, he doesn't think much of Jamaica either cause he "want to play at the highest level". He wants to play for the Dutch, if that ever happens. Hard to get noticed if he plays 2nd division in Spain, or maybe his talents are NOT valued by the Dutch themselves, but whatever.

Also this is a CANADIAN SUPPORTERS site, and as mods we are allowing our supporters to vent their disappointment in their own way, logical or not. (But we'll kill this thread soon enough.)

Darn you beat me to it - of course I meant Jono....there goes me needling you guys.... Actually as I watched the video I am thinking...dude you are saying this while wearing a Canadian shirt - dang you got balls....

Who am I?

Listen, you can play Pious Paul while the rest of us can vent our frustration. We are allowed to feel angry, upset, misled etc. Again, who do you think you are telling other people how to feel? Nobody likes a self-righteous twat, my friend. All everybody here wants to do is let off some steam. It ain't rocket science--it is basic human psychology. Nobody is going to do Jono any harm. Get real. Who are you? A family member? Ornoch? Do not worry--nobody will hurt Jono! They may hurl insults from time to time, but all's fair in love and international football. Isn't that what you are trying to tell us? As for me, I moved on a long time ago. I wrote off the little bugger the moment he said he felt more Dutch than Canadian. He is a silly lad and has surrounded himself with poor advisors. Too much sunshine blown up his arse for his own good. I'm done with this. Saint Razcal can hold the torch for our Dutch national by himself!

Listen, you can play Pious Paul while the rest of us can vent our frustration. We are allowed to feel angry, upset, misled etc. Again, who do you think you are telling other people how to feel? Nobody likes a self-righteous twat, my friend. All everybody here wants to do is let off some steam. It ain't rocket science--it is basic human psychology. Nobody is going to do Jono any harm. Get real. Who are you? A family member? Ornoch? Do not worry--nobody will hurt Jono! They may hurl insults from time to time, but all's fair in love and international football. Isn't that what you are trying to tell us? As for me, I moved on a long time ago. I wrote off the little bugger the moment he said he felt more Dutch than Canadian. He is a silly lad and has surrounded himself with poor advisers. Too much sunshine blown up his arse for his own good. I'm done with this. Saint Razcal can hold the torch for our Dutch national by himself!

Yes, I'm being self righteous by sounding my opinion that I disagree with you and others.

In the same sentence you chastise me for criticizing people on how they feel (I'm not by the way) and then you criticize Jonathan for feeling he is more Dutch than Canadian.

My point is, you people who are so angry need to realize that you set yourselves up for disappointment, Jon never once said he would play for Canada.

And yes I'm Jonathons family member who has decided to hang out on this board for 10+ years just waiting for this moment. Busted.

^ The "more Dutch than Canadian" thing is bunk too. If he felt more Dutch than Canadian he wouldn't be spending all his off-time in Toronto.

Yeah that whole feeling Dutch thing is a load of ****. He's doing what's in his own best interest, nothing else. Let's just move on and forget this guy even exists.

At the very best for him and his choice he has as much of a chance to make the WC with Holland as he would have with Canada. One might even argue that his chance of making a WC with Canada would be much greater as it might be the catalyst to encourage Junior to join the CMNT as well. Add to that the fact that in trying to do so for Canada would have improved his brother's chance of making a WC at the same time. So, at the very least it is a very selfish decision.

At the very best for him and his choice he has as much of a chance to make the WC with Holland as he would have with Canada. One might even argue that his chance of making a WC with Canada would be much greater as it might be the catalyst to encourage Junior to join the CMNT as well. Add to that the fact that in trying to do so for Canada would have improved his brother's chance of making a WC at the same time. So, at the very least it is a very selfish decision.

His chances with qualifying for Canada are much better than they are with Holland, because he's never going to be a part of the Dutch squad.

Archived