Jonathan de Guzman out of the picture forever

Nick

I sincerely hope this wasn't some joke and Jono was like "let's see how the fans react" and we just completely put him off playing for us...goddammit, the De Guzman's have me all-shook-up here...

If he's getting offended by message board posters Lord help him when the first piss bag goes flying in Panama.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no doubt that Jono is looking at international play with the exact same viewpoint as he does with his club play. His view is what is best for him and his career? There is no emotion or sentimentality about about it. He is not like some of our players, who were willing to risk losing their starting roles with their club in order to play for Canada. Jono won't sacrifice anything unless there is something in it for him. If it suits his purpose to come back to Canada at a future date, I have no doubt that he will. But everything will be done on his terms and timeline.

One more thought about this: if you have been around here long enough, you will remember that Radzinski's career has some parallels compared to Jono except that Radz committed to Canada very early on. Radz only answered the call when it suited him for several years. I remember he wasn't too available during our last time in the hex in 1997. They really could've used him but he came up with various excuses to not show as his club career was flourishing. I believe he even expressed regret that he committed to Canada when he could've played for Poland. However, as he matured, he really stepped up and now Canada fans have mostly forgotten this. Could we see this with Jono? Possibly but there is no point in spending too much time worrying about it.

Jason

^ Radzinski showed up for the first half of the Hex and was pissed that he was being used mostly as a right midfielder in the 4-4-2 formation (Bunbury and Pesch were the forwards) but continued to play for Canada. After the Jamaica game in Sept. '97 Radz finally listened to his club coach who had been telling him that he was wasting his time with Canada and stopped answering the call.

Holger approached him about coming back into the fold in 2000 and Radz seemed receptive, but ended up being a tease for the next 3-4 years until he left Everton and joined Fulham. I have no first hand knowledge, but pretty sure the problem was with the Everton brass not wanting him to play internationally as he instantly joined us after leaving there.

Maybe Julian's the one being a misleading jerk, and Jonathan was actually sincere this whole time?

Not a chance. Julian has been questioned on this for the past 7+ years, he didn't just wake up one day and go "hey, I'm going to get the Canadian fans all excited for no reason!".

Maybe they've actually been the same person this whole time? Like in Fight Club.

Whoa. Whaaaaattt? Consider my mind BLOWN, dude!

Not a chance. Julian has been questioned on this for the past 7+ years, he didn't just wake up one day and go "hey, I'm going to get the Canadian fans all excited for no reason!".

(laughs) Half my posts are tongue in cheek, sorry, sometimes a joking tone of voice is hard to convey on here.

There really is no defense of Jonathan De Guzman by the way. I don't care what argument you use...

This guy PUBLICLY "reps" Toronto and Canada, yet he won't play for the national team because it lacks the fame and $. Do you know what we call that? A SELL OUT. Period, end of story. Well I hope he's happy because he will NEVER represent Toronto FC or Canada, I'm sure he can weasel himself into some more gear that he can wear to matches in his off season. There was a photo he had as a profile picture on FB that was posted here a while back, it basically said in Spanish "not dutch, filipino or jamaican.. canadian" F*&% off.

Lets just let this **** die, close the thread. His brother plays for our team, and put in a great performance on Tuesday. Not only that we focus so much energy on things like this that take away from the players that are actually out there playing their asses off, its not fair to them or Julian.

My guess is its the passport issue, he has handled it all pretty poorly in a matter that was always going to piss us off, so be it but he was never actually our player so lets just move on.

Lets just let this **** die, close the thread. His brother plays for our team, and put in a great performance on Tuesday. Not only that we focus so much energy on things like this that take away from the players that are actually out there playing their asses off, its not fair to them or Julian.

My guess is its the passport issue, he has handled it all pretty poorly in a matter that was always going to piss us off, so be it but he was never actually our player so lets just move on.

Quit opening the thread dude, move on :)

Quit opening the thread dude, move on :)

I can't stop myself! Thats why I'd love it closed, because none of us can, I'm mad just like everyone else but nothing good can come of this, JDG2 has a lot of friends in the program and a brother as a major cog in our wheel.

The guy is young and immature in many ways still, he moved away from his family at 12 to another continent, I have to imagine he lost a lot of guidance and family support at a critical time and was brought up in solely a professional soccer atmosphere.

Also there could be other things at play behind the scenes you never know, it does'nt make sense for him to come out so strongly like he did, but it does make sense if it has to do with some club situation that a contract needs to be signed, in that case who knows what happens but what I'm saying is lets just walk away for now we are like angry X-boyfriends nothing good can come of our anger.

I can't stop myself! Thats why I'd love it closed, because none of us can, I'm mad just like everyone else but nothing good can come of this, JDG2 has a lot of friends in the program and a brother as a major cog in our wheel.

The guy is young and immature in many ways still, he moved away from his family at 12 to another continent, I have to imagine he lost a lot of guidance and family support at a critical time and was brought up in solely a professional soccer atmosphere.

Also there could be other things at play behind the scenes you never know, it does'nt make sense for him to come out so strongly like he did, but it does make sense if it has to do with some club situation that a contract needs to be signed, in that case who knows what happens but what I'm saying is lets just walk away for now we are like angry X-boyfriends nothing good can come of our anger.

lol fair enough, but one request as I did earlier in the thread...he can no longer be called JDG2. There is only one.

If De Guzman said, "I cannot get my Canadian passport sorted without putting my European club career in jeopardy. So unfortunately I am unable to represent Canada now and in the near future. I will try and make the best of this situation and make the Dutch national team. I think people might be less upset

Well you also told us Hoilett was gonna play for us...

And for this I am sincerely sorry... See I am privy to certain information when it comes to Hoilett. Things that I thought I could divulge but I can't. It is not a secret that he has a deep cultural connection with Jamaica and at the same time he is Canadian...quite conflicting... I have to respect our relations so I won't say much. Whichever decision he makes I have to support him even if I agree/disagree...

I won't say any else regarding his situation. When it is time, he will say.

If De Guzman said, "I cannot get my Canadian passport sorted without putting my European club career in jeopardy. So unfortunately I am unable to represent Canada now and in the near future. I will try and make the best of this situation and make the Dutch national team. I think people might be less upset

I agree that would have been a better way to approach it. Lots of tweets coming out and when you couple that with the fact that it was strange that he came out so strong with the Canadian jacket on, and hearing that the CSA is still working in the background I am silently optimistic that he very well may be bluffing for club reasons. Not only that he contradicted things that he has said in the past, he has to know he sent his bro out and he provided an interview that contradicted his stance, also he has no reason to give that interview, its just going to piss people off in Canada unlesss........

He gave the interview as a clear sign to european clubs, specifically Dutch clubs that he is going to keep his passport and will not be making pesky flights across the pond regularly. Now in Netherlands I'm sure a Dutch team member is much more valuable then a random joe schmo, Jono has expressed he wants to go back to the Netherlands and continue his club career there. So giving that interview gives him a stronger value to Dutch clubs and gives him better bargaining power in terms of contract situation. If that contract is signed, there is nothing to stop him from deciding to play for Canada and/or giving up his Dutch passport if its necessary while at the same time maximizing his value at this moment.

Thats a plausible scenario given some points I've pointed out and the info coming out today from his own brother, the bottom line is contract negotiations are a ton of posturing and hard lines, and would answer some questions. It may not be the most likely scenario, but its plausible and us crying for Jono's head helps nothing, lets give it some time and let things play out.

And for this I am sincerely sorry... See I am privy to certain information when it comes to Hoilett. Things that I thought I could divulge but I can't. It is not a secret that he has a deep cultural connection with Jamaica and at the same time he is Canadian...quite conflicting... I have to respect our relations so I won't say much. Whichever decision he makes I have to support him even if I agree/disagree...

I won't say any else regarding his situation. When it is time, he will say.

You've said enough here, Jono is hedging to see who is in a better position to go to the WC Jamaica or Canada.

Archived