Dylan Carreiro

forster01

Ya, like remember that one guy who went to Barcelona from Argentina at age 13? That guy turned out awful. Or how about those De Guzman brothers? They should have stayed and played with the Lynx! Hoilett? What an awful decision.

LOL yeah, Messi really worked out well for Canada!

What you're ignoring is that there are many, many stories of promising young Canadians in England who eventually amounted to nothing. As others have pointed out, this situation may turn out differently as the kids will be heading over together and they'll have a coach who will have a vested interest in their success (both as a nat'l team coach and as the QPR coach who recommended them to his higher ups), so they have a few more advantages than others did.

I am flabbergasted that there is anything but a universally positive response to this news.

Yes, they will face a sterner challenge to succeed at QPR, but when did it suddenly become a bad thing for our young players to get picked up by bigger clubs?? I mean, you ask any player, they'll tell you THAT IS THE DREAM. Do you think Rooney even hesitated to go to Man U.

Y'all want an example. Look at Jamie Peters. Yallop probably told him to go to Ipswich cause he could get in the side, now look at him. He's the Jay Spearing of Ipswich!! A damn footnote to what might have been.

Premier League coaching vs MLS coaching: no comparison. So even if they never make it into the 1st team, the training and insight they are likely to gain from the experience will stand them in good stead no matter where their footballing career takes them.

There are plenty of Canadians who went to Europe and got nowhere with their careers. There are plenty of Canadians who stayed in Canada and got nowhere with their careers. All else being equal, any Canadian fan should want our kids to get the best coaching possible, and that means going overseas. Some of those kids won't be good enough, but they wouldn't magically become good enough if they were training at a lower level.

+1... there are lots of examples of players who couldn't cut it in the "big leagues" - that is the nature of 16 year old talent. It happens in every sport. On the other hand, look at what Randy Edwini-Bonsu has done with himself in a relatively short period. I think more players exposing themselves to more quality is better for them and the game as a whole.

I am pretty sure that QPR don't care where a player comes from - as soon as they get there, they will get whatever QPR has to offer. Beyond that, it is up to them to remain disciplined and focused.

There are plenty of Canadians who went to Europe and got nowhere with their careers. There are plenty of Canadians who stayed in Canada and got nowhere with their careers. All else being equal, any Canadian fan should want our kids to get the best coaching possible, and that means going overseas. Some of those kids won't be good enough, but they wouldn't magically become good enough if they were training at a lower level.

Exactly, success has just as much to do with a player's mentality, drive and pure athletic talent as the environment they're in. If these kids are professional in their behaviour and want to be pros they are in a better position to do it now. Throwing out examples of Canadians who failed is useless, they were never going to be good enough and they never developed.. it happens with EVERY nation not just Canada. A guy like Wyn Belotte was and is out to lunch, he had no chance.. Terry Dunfield himself even admits that he had the wrong mentality in England and got caught up in the hype. I love TFC and the TFC academy but any fan of the Canadian game should be happy by this move, two Canucks have taken the spots of two English players at a Premier League Academy, trained and mentored by a former Canadian INT. Win. If it isn't working out they should move on, but as it stands right now they have an unbelievable opportunity and it's doubtful that their growth will be stunted by anyone but themselves.

TFC would be receiving a compensation fee from QPR for this, and also is exactly the kind of move they can use as hype for their own program in many ways. They can attract good players. They can attract good coaches. They can ask for larger compensation fees if these two work out into first teamers in Europe (be it at QPR or otherwise). This can also build their rep when seeking out touring opps for their youth teams and trying to get into int'l youth tournies.

Ya, like remember that one guy who went to Barcelona from Argentina at age 13? That guy turned out awful. Or how about those De Guzman brothers? They should have stayed and played with the Lynx! *Hoilett? *What an awful decision.

He is not going to Barcelona, he is going to QPR in case you havent noticed. And none of these guys are Lionel Messi and Messi didnt go to QPR. QPR is an EPL club and they do have new found money. But they are still barely an EPL club. As far as your other examples, Jono? Ok there is still hope for us, but that turned out well didnt it? He committed to Holland. As have several others who have committed to other national sides or are reluctant to commit to Canada. Yet that is another problem with teenagers going overseas, loss of national identity. Thats what you want? I would feel differently if these kids were off to Barcelona or maybe one or two of those very large english clubs. But they are gong to QPR. In five years, except for the official documents, they will be more british than canadian and thats one of the the intangibles that we have beeing lacking in building a national team that is competive, hungry for success, and that people will follow & recognize.

I repeat and stand by my point. No matter how stupid someone else chooses to be on it. In the past 25 years, we have not seen success or professional progress from from canadians players as a result of them going to england. We have seen some pretty promising ones such as Jamie Peters or Ian Hume go there over the past twenty years, and (save for one or maybe two). None have progressed professionally or as soccer talent.

One has to be clueless or delusional to think that these kids are or expect that these kids are the next Messi. Even more of a howler is the suggestion that the setup of the Lynx is somehow compareable to what TFC has. Good gawd dude give your head a shake, they are gathering the top talent in southern ontario in one roof, they have full time staff plus coaches with professional experience, they are investing and building a $20 million in facility. Thats not what what the Lynx had. Why am i stating what is so obvious.

No country in the world achieves excellence in any sport or endevour (medicine, arts, science, engineering.. Etc.) in a certain field by having its citizens go abroad to learn and develop their skills. We wouldnt be good in hockey if sixteen yrsnwent to russia to play junior hockey. Speaking of which, the Russians started investing in development of juniors and junior setups in the last 3-4 years and already they are closing the gap on us. Those that didnt or cant (eg.: Slovakia, Czechs) are falling back. This applauding of kids going to places like Tranmere, QPR, Ipswich.. Etc is akin to a third world mentality.

Edited by Free kick

No country in the world achieves excellence in any sport or endevour (medicine, arts, science, engineering.. Etc.) in a certain field by having its citizens go abroad to learn and develop their skills.

Not true. What about all the developing countries' upper class youth that go study abroad (USA or Europe)? Surely they can't gain similar knowledge in their country, otherwise they would stay home. That's a bit like Canada and soccer, yes we have a long history of football here, but we're far from the best in the world. I don't have statistics to prove my point but surely sending young players abroad isn't that bad of a thing.

There are plenty of Canadians who stayed in Canada and got nowhere with their careers. All else being equal, any Canadian fan should want our kids to get the best coaching possible, and that means going overseas. el.

Exactly...."..........."...If these kids are professional in their behaviour and want to be pros they are in a better position to do it now. *.

Can you name a youth develpment coach or person at QPR, besides Bircham, without looking it up? On what are you basing that notion that the coaching will be better at QPR? Is because its overseas? Does that mean that anything overseas is better than Canada including the poutine and smoked meat sandwiches? Is it on professional pedigree and experience of the coaches of the coaches that your basing it on? Hmm just look at the employment history (as players and coaches) on the resumes of players like dichio, de klerk, brennan, Winter and lets see how that stacks up against Marc Bircham? yes, i know, As a whitecaps fan your not impressed.

To reiterate. These two players ARE NOT professionals. They are developing and aspiring profeessional. They are maybe two, three, four or even five years away from being professionals. Its not a choice between playing in the EPL for QPR versus playing in the MLS for TFC. Its about playing as a foreigner for the academy or reserve side of QPR thousands of miles away in England versus playing at home.

If this story said that it was, say Morgan, going to QPR, i would be applauding it as loudly as the next guy. Similarly, i would applaud, if these kids were off to Barcelona (to name one of maybe 30-50 examples overseas). For example, it was great to hear that story last summer that one of the guys from our u17 team was off to Milan.

Edited by Free kick

Not true. What about all the developing countries' upper class youth that go study abroad (USA or Europe)? Surely they can't gain similar knowledge in their country, otherwise they would stay home. That's a bit like Canada and soccer, yes we have a long history of football here, but we're far from the best in the world. I don't have statistics to prove my point but surely sending young players abroad isn't thag.

thanks for validating my point. Yes, in developing country only the kids of wealthy go abroad to study and maybe even stay abroad if they find a good job just like some cnd soccer players have. So success is reserved for the creme de la creme and very little aggregate benefit is derived for the home country. The wealty stay wealty and poor stay poor. That is the very definition of a third world country mentality. Only diff is that instead of being about wealth, in canada (for soccer) its about ancestral lineage or nationality documents as far as who can mostly go abroad.

In fact, in third world countries, it may be that there are some domestic universities that are pretty decnt at home with good professors, facilities but there is this mystique about being educated abroad that that serious clouds the discussion that quality eduaction is not education is not equal in every institution abroad. Of course there are the Harvards, Princeton, stanfords... Just like there are big clubs in soccer that should never be dismissed but thats not the same ABc staTe university. Thats the very definition of third world mentality, going abroad is all the same.

Edited by Free kick

As a fan of TFC, QPR and Canada it's a win win situation for me! I'm not sure of the dynamics of the transfer but I suspect this was done with TFC's approval and or financial compensation! QPR are a club with big money behind them and have developed many excellent players through their youth systems over the years! There was a bit of a lull with the previous owners but they are on the right track to having one of the best academies in England again! (read posted link) I will follow developments closely but I really see this as a positive move all round!

http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=28895

As a fan of TFC, QPR and Canada it's a win win situation for me! I'm not sure of the dynamics of the transfer but I suspect this was done with TFC's approval and or financial compensation! QPR are a club with big money behind them and have developed many excellent players through their youth systems over the years! There was a bit of a lull with the previous owners but they are on the right track to having one of the best academies in England again! (read posted link) I will follow developments closely but I really see this as a positive move all round!

http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=28895

Interesting how two of us can read the same story or post in a link and draw different conclusions. I didnt see it as a strong endorsement of their setup and development. All i saw was statements of ambition. Where you are now counts more for me than where you want to be. Anybody can make statements of where you want to be, "we want to have the best player development in England", well of course they do. Well, where are they now? Seems like they are a start up. By the way, the MLSEL guys made amore abitious statement, they said that they want to become one of the best academies in the world. And look what they are doing to set the example? They are not finishing the job thus selling the work in process product.

It was an interesting read about how even in england they (clubs) restructuring things in this area (eg.: a grading system). A recognition certainly, that there is urgent need for improvement. There are afterall, fewer and fewer english players in the top clubs and more and more top players comming in via the route of the domestic or international transfer market.

Edited by Free kick

This move is equivalent to hockey players coming from Europe to the CHL.. why do they do it? It makes sense. Period. Though Russia is a fantastic hockey country right now their 2 players slated to go #1 and #2 in the draft are in the CHL, not playing in Russia. They haven't suffered in their development much being in a country that lives and breathes the sport.

Guest Brethers

They have been scouted by Bircham, and decided that moving to QPR would be best for their careers. There's more money in Europe plus more recognition. These guys are Canadian and they are being coached by an ex international and current Can U18s coach, who has also openly slated Canadians for not wanting to play for Canada (it was in a conversation on twitter with JDV a while back). This is a very good move and promotes the TFC acadmey more than anything, which in the future will only help Canadian development. The compensation received will surely go to academy funding, this can only be good why are some people so anti Europe?? We're not a superpower in football like we are in hockey so why compare? Do people get upset at Evan James for going to university in American cause where he went would allow him to enter the draft? No, they appreciate that he wants to make it in the game

I’m not sure how I feel about this.

Ultimately, TFC is putting money into the academy in order to groom players for the first team or sell them on. And by “selling” I don’t really think that includes what just happened here. But at the same time, it is the organizations job to protect themselves against these types of situations. It’s not like they can be caught unaware after losing a handful of players already.

BTW, slightly awkward situation with Bircham being a CSA coach and part of the QPR youth academy. If you’re a club team, how are you feeling about your players involvement with the CSA?

Edited by ag futbol

So I guess both Carreiro and Petrasso have EU passports which allow them to sign before their 18th bdays?

I am also against this move, i think both players will see their technical development stall and will be asked to focus on work rate, getting stuck in and all the other buzzwords that turn English players into headless chickens chasing the ping pong ball around the field. It's too bad, i had high hopes for both of these kids.

But you have to admit, it kinda sucks donkey balls that they have to go overseas to get the best coaching...

So I guess both Carreiro and Petrasso have EU passports which allow them to sign before their 18th bdays?

I am also against this move, i think both players will see their technical development stall and will be asked to focus on work rate, getting stuck in and all the other buzzwords that turn English players into headless chickens chasing the ping pong ball around the field. It's too bad, i had high hopes for both of these kids.

Yep, these kids could have gained the skills to succeed in the ferocious, dog-eat-dog world of Major League Soccer but instead they'll be reduced to the inferior talent endemic in the English Premier League (rolls eyes so hard his skull makes weird sounds).

Yep, these kids could have gained the skills to succeed in the ferocious, dog-eat-dog world of Major League Soccer but instead they'll be reduced to the inferior talent endemic in the English Premier League (rolls eyes so hard his skull makes weird sounds).

But everyone in the EPL used to play kick and run!! They don't develop good, skilled young players!!(especially from places like Brampton)!!

Yep, these kids could have gained the skills to succeed in the ferocious, dog-eat-dog world of Major League Soccer but instead they'll be reduced to the inferior talent endemic in the English Premier League ).

Where is it written that these kids are going to be playing in the English Premier League?

Edited by Free kick

It's not written they'll play in the EPL. Just like it's not written they'll make it to MLS if they stay in Canada. No guarantees in either place.

Correct. And if they do not make it to MLS they certainly sure as hell wont make in EPL. but what we do know is that if they do make it to MLS then they have as good, if not better, a chance to make it to the EPL than they do now by going to QPR who as we speak today are in the relegation territory.

So we agree that its not about going to the epl or staying with the MLS. Its about development where the best place to develop. Some have talked several times about coaching etc they will receive. But no one so far has given me names of the coaches at QPR (involved in youth sides) other than Bircham.

Edit.: i do agree with an earlier point raised in this this thread that it is also about the kind of players that we turn out and the kind of players we need to qualify in the future in concacaf for the WC.

Edited by Free kick