Dylan Carreiro

forster01

There's only one Danny Dichio! (IIRC). Sort of brings this full circle doesn't it?

I got quite a chuckle at that one. But its true what you say. Hence one of these players could turn out to be another Danny Dichio and play for TFC.

For those who didnt read it, here is what it says:

" The QPR Centre of Excellence will be an Academy in everything other than name. Prior to gaining Academy status in 1998, the club operated a highly successful Centre of Excellence programme which was responsible for producing players such as Kevin Gallen, Daniele Dichio, Karl Ready, Gavin Peacock and Nigel Quashie. Richard Langley was also a schoolboy player developed within this scheme."

I feel like people are sometimes forgetting the fact that TFC itself is only 5 years old and the Academy even less than that. Give the program time to build and grow (two players do not make or break a program) and then be upset if a lot of kids are still taking off and wasting club resources.

Plus, you would assume that if there ever is a time where they decide to come back to North America their #1 option would be TFC (and then Toronto reaps the benefits of another clubs time and resources).

I only see positives in the moves.

I think that is the big concern for most who see this as a disappointing move. Sure there may be 100 kids to take their place, but TFC have already invested their time and money into these guys. Now they are walking the first chance they get.

They aren't walking, they have been sold by TFC to QPR. Usually in this type of contract TFC should get significant compensation if the players are successful in Europe and transfer in the future as well as probably retaining their North American rights should they return to Canada. Players getting sold on is a part of player development in every part of the world. Knowing the right time and team to sell players to is a very inexact science, sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

For the most part, European leagues that are equal or better than MLS have better player development systems. Even many of the leagues slightly below MLS level have better player development systems. That is particularly so when considering the Canadian MLS teams which have very new academies. Even though there have been a few good coaches brought into our academies (and for those so convinced of the equal quality of our academies why are most of these coaches European?) they are still far behind those in Europe. It is not just the coach or a new training facility that makes an academy, it is having talented players to play against and train with both in the academy you are in and on the teams of other academies. We are far behind in that regard.

Our academies are improving and need to continue to do so. We need to give our players the option to stay at home and be able to develop into good players. That does not mean we should close off the possibility of going to countries where they can get a higher level of training. We especially should not do that when there is an extreme shortage of spots in quality academies in Canada and those who leave allow another player to get quality training. Yes our previous model of relying mostly on players going to Europe to stock our national team was faulty. It was not faulty because there were players going to Europe, it was faulty because that was the only development system and there was very little domestic development.

The argument that not enough players have had success in Europe is spurious and results from equating youth teams with their parent club. The percentage of youth players who go on to have professional careers is low even in the best academies like Ajax. Since we had little high level player development in Canada and were so desperate for good national team players we have always followed our youth players too much and been overly impressed that they were joining such and such big club and then disappointed when they did not accomplish what we hoped. That is however completely the normal course for most players in even the best academies. The percentage of Canadian players who went to Europe and did make it professionally is actually pretty high, the problem is the number of players who went is so low that the results may not seem that impressive.

Even though quality of training is very important, numbers of players is also crucial to producing a lot of good players. The better quality academies will produce a higher percentage of professional players but it will still be a fairly low percentage of their youth players who go on to become professional. It is here that it is so important that we have as many professional teams with academies as possible. The number of Canadian players in European academies will always be fairly small so we really need to have academies here to increase the player pool. If we can get a large number of players getting decent training in Canadian academies we will produce far more quality players than if we rely on European academies. That does not mean that our Canadian system should not be supplemented by sending players to European academies.

I thought that the players were: Porter, Semments, Baker, Gage, Dosanj, And Straith. Straith is 21 now btw but he was probably 18 at the time he was sent.

The seven Caps loaned to Cottbus were Porter, Sandhu, Baker, Levry, Dosanjh, Straith and Latendresse-Lévesque. These were initially loans some to Cottbus' U23 reserve team and some to their U19 team. In essence these were extended tryouts for the players and several of them were not good enough and did not stay with Cottbus for very long. Only three were with the club for a long period, Porter, Straith and Latendresse-Lévesque. Straith is now a first team player, Latendresse-Lévesque is the 3rd choice keeper of the team and the starting keeper for the U23 team (though he is still recovering from a serious injury that has caused him to miss most of the season so far) and Porter is a pretty good NASL player with potential to move to a better league. Even if we counted all seven players, that is a phenomenally high success rate in producing professional players from youth players. And Straith and Porter are still only 21 while Latendresse-Lévesque is only 20.

Edited by Grizzly

In the long run it works all the way around. The players get to chase their dreams. TFC get known as a club that won't stand between a player and his dream (you can't buy advertising like that). More academy spots open up for next generation. TFC might get some $$ down the road. Player may not like it there and come back. Player might not cut it there and come back. More experience for young players than TFC can provide by themselves and the North American circuit.

While I was sad to see REB leave I was happy for him and glad he is now in D2 in Germany. Good luck to all of them, just play for us in the international realm when that happens!

The only drawback is that TFC will be missing some players that wouldn't count against the salary cap.

TFC would have received compensation for a youth transfer. But yes, "future sale" may also be worked into that? Only TFC, the lads/family and QPR know that.

It's great all around for TFC, and potentially amazing for these two players. They could become Simeon Jackson or they could become Shaun Saiko....or Terry Dunfield. None of which is bad! Obviously, they could wash out but if you don't try you don't know.

the11.ca has reported QPR states/emailed them directly that this move hasn't happened.

I do wonder though if this is similar to Aleman being at Sociedad and the lads in France who aren't actually on the youth squads? Due to int'l youth transfer rules?

Hmm....

I don't know the rule exactly, but I think it doesn't matter what passport you have. Salgado has both Mexican and American passports but required a special FIFA ruling to be allowed to play for Whitecaps.

Because he doesn't have a Canadian passport, which a player would typically need to play in Canada before the age of 18

....if these boys have EU passports then under UEFA rules they can sign outside of their "home" EU country (the country they have their EU passports from) at age 16 (or is it 17?).

Okay, I fail to see what the big deal is about a few players leaving here and there. The GTA has so much talent that two more boys will easily come in a fill there place. I'm sure there are 100's of kids in the Toronto area who are good enough for the acadamy but for whatever reason were not accepted (there are limited spots available after all). I would be more concerned if this became a regular thing and kids were taking advantage of the exposure of TFC acadamy in order to land a trial in Europe. That would still be good for Canada (getting more kids out there), but would be a waste of resources for the club.

Yes, I know the GTA has a lot of talent, except the point is to keep the best talent. These guys are obviously only going to QPR because they are somewhat exceptional - which means they are the type of guys that TFC should be spending money on to keep. If they are good enough for QPR then they are good enough for our team that last year was bottom five in MLS.

I have no problem with players leaving the academy, that probably happens all the time for a variety of reasons, but if they left for financial reasons than that's a shame.

^These guys aren't "good enough for QPR". They are good enough for QPR youth. Big difference. Keeping these guys doesn't mean they are instance HG signings and getting into the first team. They aren't going to QPR and keeping Barton out of the First XI!

Should TFC keep them? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, seems they aren't actually going to QPR.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for people from Sask: Why does there seem to be more success for Manitoba soccer players than Sask players. Similar sized province, right next to each other, but Manitoba has players with TFCA and the Whitecaps. I don't live in Winnipeg, I live up North, so I'm out of the loop. Is the quality higher in MB? One advantage I can think of for Man. is World Soccer academy, a couple of UEFA liscened coaches training players in The Peg....

• 2 months later...

Dylan Carreiro as well as Micheal Petrasso are in England with QPR (based on twitter convo) they will be there till May 14th.

Also based on their twitter accounts they may be playing against West Ham reserves tomorrow.

Michael Petrasso ‏ @petrasso20

Game for West Ham reserves tomorrow

dylan carreiro ‏ @CarreiroDylan

game vs west ham reserves tomorrooww

Edited by forster01

Good for them. Best of luck. If they're playing against the reserves would that mean they're playing with the QPR reserve team?

Most likely, these two will have someone backing them at the club in Bircham and its nice to see them at that level already, lets hope they impress.