Dylan Carreiro

forster01

Does TFC have to share the sale of academy players with the MLS? Maybe TFC has learned a lesson from the Edo sale to rangers.

I am curious as to what that lesson might be. I thought that the sale of Edu was pretty straight forward, the transfer fee was reportedly 5 mill. The league keeps a stipulated percentage and the rest goes into some sort trust account that the league regulates what the club(s) used it for so that it can only be used for investment into into development the game. TFC used that to install grass at BMO field.

Important to note that Petrasso and Carreiro are academy players. They are not first team players. So its not comparable to Edu.

Edited by Free kick

I looks like one of them may have scored:

"With such an attacking threat, it wasn't long before the R's did pull level, as Smith's clever play allowed 'Trialist' time and space to rocket the ball past the Hammers' number one from an acute angle.

Rangers XI: Lennox, Harriman, Borrowdale, Trialist, Hall, ****tu, Smith, Doughty, Campbell, Helguson, Cisse."

http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/Reserves/0,,10373~2719193,00.html

I am curious as to what that lesson might be. I thought that the sale of Edu was pretty straight forward, the transfer fee was reportedly 5 mill. The league keeps a stipulated percentage and the rest goes into some sort trust account that the league regulates what the club(s) used it for so that it can only be used for investment into into development the game. TFC used that to install grass at BMO field.

Important to note that Petrasso and Carreiro are academy players. They are not first team players. So its not comparable to Edu.

I could be wrong as MLS rules on this stuff are all over the place but I believe in the case of Edu because he was a superdraft pick they had to give a larger chunk of cash to the league, whereas with Academy players the portion given to the league is smaller.

That's sounds right. And it makes sense. The only reason that TFC had Edu is because the league rules state that there must be a draft of the college players available. Hence the the benefit of the (or some ) transfer dollars earned should accrue to the league. whereas an academy player is developed entirely by the club, so why should the league be entitled to any or a large portion of teh transfer fee.

Edited by Free kick

Yes trialist can play. There isn't any sort of official reserve league. Teams just arrange friendlies with each other.

Uh, are you sure about that? I thought the Premier League reserves were split into north and south?

Uh, are you sure about that? I thought the Premier League reserves were split into north and south?

I think you are right, jpg75.

The Premier Reserve League (officially known as The Barclays Premier Reserve League for sponsorship reasons) is the reserve team league for the top English football teams in the Premier League. The league is split into a northern and a southern division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Reserve_League

I think you are right, jpg75.

The Premier Reserve League (officially known as The Barclays Premier Reserve League for sponsorship reasons) is the reserve team league for the top English football teams in the Premier League. The league is split into a northern and a southern division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Reserve_League

Cool, thanks! I used to check the reserve match reports for Newcastle when Edgar played there and i remember they used to play in the Northern League.

^ I knew Spurs had opted out of it a few years ago but hadn't realised so many others had as well.

The Northern league now consists of Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Sunderland and Wigan Athletic. Manchester City chose not to participate this season. The Southern League consists of Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Fulham (who have chosen to participate this season), Norwich City, Swansea City, West Bromwich Albion & Wolverhampton Wanderers

Cool, thanks! I used to check the reserve match reports for Newcastle when Edgar played there and i remember they used to play in the Northern League.

Yeah I used to do the same. There aren't any developing Canadians in any reserve sides now, so I haven't really been paying much attention for the last couple of years. Good luck to the boys at QPR, as they could give me an excuse to start looking at results again.

Guest Brethers

One of the trialists playing for QPR was Jacob Mellis, who scored. Unfortunately that rules out Dylan and Michael being the potential goal scorer

Seems they are not with the reserves but with QPR's U19 team.

They are currently in the International Tournement of Bellinzona, in a group with Spartak Moscow, Boca Juniors and FC Basel.

They played Spartak won 4-0, Petrasso scored (to make it 3-0) and lost 2-1 to Boca, don't know if one of the guys scored though.

Seems they are not with the reserves but with QPR's U19 team.

They are currently in the International Tournement of Bellinzona, in a group with Spartak Moscow, Boca Juniors and FC Basel.

They played Spartak won 4-0, Petrasso scored (to make it 3-0) and lost 2-1 to Boca, don't know if one of the guys scored though.

According to QPR's website, Petrasso and Carrreiro are with the U18s. There are also contradictory reports as to whether or not Petrasso go the goal in the match vs Spartak.

THis link (http://www.qpritalia.it/blog/?p=3533) seems to say he did score, but this one (http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/YouthReports/0,,10373~2725661,00.html) says it was another QPR player who got it.

^ I have tried a few times before but found it really hard to find anything on him. I don't know if that's because he hasn't gotten much game time or what, but so far, no luck.

Reading reserves are called the Reading XI and don't play in any reserve league. They play sparingly, typically against non-league opposition, university teams etc.

The results can be found under "Teams" and "Friendlies"

Link:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/FriendliesIndex/0,,10306,00.html

Edited by jpg75

Reading reserves are called the Reading XI and don't play in any reserve league. They play sparingly, typically against non-league opposition, university teams etc.

Which would help to explain why it's so hard getting any info on his game time - there isn't really any. That's unfortunate as it can't be overly beneficial for a player's development to rarely play any competitive matches in a year at his stage of his career.

According to their site the last friendly before the one against Arsenal last week was Feb 1st - almost 2 months between games!

Gage was an unused sub in that game:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2595324,00.html

Gage went 90 minutes in a 0-0 draw with Gillingham on Jan 17th which was the game before that one:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/Friendlies/0,,10306~2580276,00.html

What I mean is they had to split the Edo fee, if they sell academy players do they get to keep all the cash.

What I mean is they had to split the Edo fee, if they sell academy players do they get to keep all the cash.

MLS would still get a 1/3 of the money, but TFC would get to spend all of their portion of the transfer (presumably the combined transfers would be less than $750K, which means the first $500K goes towards allocation funds) on players.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. These fella's, Michael and Dylan, are both still with QPR u18's? I ask because the English FA has now eliminated the reserve division (well, I guess it was the PL and the Football League that did so?). They now have a 21 division that allows some overagers to play in it.

Should be an outstanding u21 division if these two can get in. However, there are a few "categories." Category 1 is 23 teams, and they are the top teams. They applied and were accepted into Category 1.

17 PL teams, and 6 Championship teams were accepted into the top category.

QPR, Wigan and Swansea are the three PL teams NOT in Category 1. No clue the reasoning. My guess is it's a combination of many things - maybe a tweet to Bircham can clarify? My guess is coaches, facilities, money, and desire to play in category 1. Category 1 is not particularly regionalized in that Man United and Tottenham are in the same group of 8 (there are 3 groups, 2 of 8, 1 of 7).

This guy generally posts accurate MUFC and PL info, and is part of the Football Manager scouting or whatnot...

Nick ‏@ManUnitedYouth

The 23 teams are those who applied for Category 1 status under the new #EPPP - 17 Prem teams (no QPR, Wigan, Swansea) and 6 Championship.

Both Carreiro and Petrasso have signed either 1 1/2 to two year contracts with the club. They play with the eighteens officially (my understanding) and also play with reserves(no longer called that with changes) when called up. On QPR site, it said that they had to upgrade facilities for winter training in order to get into category 1. I guess they didn't pull that off. I have noticed that QPR does not list their younger players, just the first team.