Who do we think our top 11 is?

baulderdash77

Without Hoilett and De Guzman 2 however, this would be my roster. I know a little ridiculous but I believe in it.

-----Ricketts------Jackson-----

-------------Friend------------

-----Simpson------De Rosario--

--De Jong---Hutchinson---De Guzman

---Klukowski---Edgar--Mckenna--Hainault

---------------Borjan----------

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without Hoilett and De Guzman 2 however, this would be my roster. I know a little ridiculous but I believe in it.

-----Ricketts------Jackson-----

-------------Friend------------

-----Simpson------De Rosario--

--De Jong---Hutchinson---De Guzman

---Klukowski---Edgar--Mckenna--Hainault

---------------Borjan----------

I would believe in it too if we could somehow swing having 13 men on the field.

I think Ricketts at top speed is our fastest player but REB is more explosive

Ricketts is faster but REB has nicer touch with speed; makes better use of diagonal runs to create opportunities for breaks. Ricketts more of a winger, REB more of a striker IMO.

Without JDG2 or Hoilett (subs in parentheses):

Occean (Hume)

Simpson --- Hutchinson --- Jackson (Dero , Ricketts)

De Jong --- JDG (Johnson , Bernier)

Kluk --- Edgar --- McKenna --- Hainault (Straith , Jakovic , Morgan)

Lars (Borjan)

IMO, this would be our best if qualifying started tomorrow (and everyone was healthy).

With both JDG2 or Hoilett:

Occean (Hume)

Simpson --- JDG2 --- Hoilett (Dero , Ricketts , Jackson)

Hutchinson --- JDG (Johnson)

Kluk --- Edgar --- McKenna --- Hainault (Straith , Jakovic , De Jong)

Lars (Borjan)

^ mine is like yours...i wouldn't pick hume for the squad i'm afraid.

................Occean..............

Simpson.....Hutch.....Jackson.........

..........De Jong.......JDG...........

Kluka......Edgar......McKenna......Hainault

...................Borjan...................

my hope:

..........Occean......Jackson..............

Hoilett.....JDG....JDG2.......Simpson

Kluka......Edgar......McKenna......Hainault

...................Borjan...................

Dero as a super sub.

book my flight to brazil.

IMO tactics are overrated... the only "tactics" that matter is putting your best players on the pitch, in the positions where they are most effective. For instance, Hoilett is versatile and and can play up front as well as both wings, but is most dangerous cutting in from the left. Or, Hutch can play right back, but that's a waste of his considerable talents. Furthermore, I don't think it's a good idea to use players in positions they're unfamiliar with at the club level. National sides simply don't spend enough time together for a player to effectively learn a new position playing it for colours only.

Say what you want about DeRo, the man scores goals at a rate better than any of our current options, and he's a competitor. If Hoilett and JDG2 turned out for Canada, DeRo, plus the aforementioned duo and Hutch would be our most accomplished goal scores/playmakers. Thus, even if it meant dropping Simpson (and Jackson) out of the starting 11 I say you have to play JDG2 and Hoilett on the wings, with DeRo as the withdrawn striker.

That puts Occean (or Jackson), DeRo, JDG2, Hutch and Hoilett all in their most natural positions. Trying to accommodate Simpson in the first 11 at the expense of playing Hoilett in his best position isn’t worth it. Also, I’m sure having a player of that quality out wide would also help us ditch the ineffective "Hail Marry" cross (for lack of creativity) game plan.

If we had JDG2 and Hoilett:

--------ST-----------------

--------------FW-------—

--WL---MC----MC---WR--

--DL---DC-----DC----DR—

-----------GK--------------

Occean(Jackson), DeRo

Hoilett(Simpson), Hutch, JDG(Johnson/Burnier), JDG2(Rickets)

De Jong(Kluk’s), McKenna, Jakovic(Edgar), Hainault

Borjan(Lars)

If we didn't:

----------ST--------------

--WL-----AM-------WR—

-------MC----MC----------

--DL---DC----DC----DR—

----------GK-------------

Occean

Simpson, DeRo, Jackson(Ricketts/REB)

Hutch(Johnson), JDG(Burnier)

De Jong(Kluk’s), McKenna, Jakovic(Edgar), Hainault

Borjan(Lars)

Note: could substitute Hoilett and JDG2 for Simpson and Jackson Respectively into the above formation as well.

My two cents.

I just don't see how people are dropping either McKenna or Jakovic in favour of Edgar/anyone else. I think we're all pretty confident that Hainault will be the starting RB, so that takes him out of the centre back pairing - with him out of the question I think McKenna and Jakovic are the best we've got. They partner each other well, with McKenna as the big commanding presence and Jakovic as someone who can carry the ball out from the back. Edgar has yet to prove himself against any meaningful international competition, whereas Jakovic and McKenna have a very good defensive record together for Canada. I believe games in which they've been partnered together at the back we concede less than or around only a goal a game, plus these games have been against much stiffer opposition than St. Kitts, which Edgar is getting so much credit for.

If we can get at least 3 games prior to the June WCQ maybe Hart will have time to sort out the CB pairing. Jakovic--Mckenna or Jakovic--Edgar or Edgar--Mckenna? You could also look at putting Hainault in there but I guess we are better with him at RB.

I just don't see how people are dropping either McKenna or Jakovic in favour of Edgar/anyone else. I think we're all pretty confident that Hainault will be the starting RB, so that takes him out of the centre back pairing - with him out of the question I think McKenna and Jakovic are the best we've got. They partner each other well, with McKenna as the big commanding presence and Jakovic as someone who can carry the ball out from the back. Edgar has yet to prove himself against any meaningful international competition, whereas Jakovic and McKenna have a very good defensive record together for Canada. I believe games in which they've been partnered together at the back we concede less than or around only a goal a game, plus these games have been against much stiffer opposition than St. Kitts, which Edgar is getting so much credit for.

Just out of curiosity, where has a Jakovic - McKenna pairing shown to be that much superior? What meaningful matches have they played together that are showing they are that much ahead of Edgar? I assume you are referring to meaningless friendlies because I'm struggling to think of important fixtures that our opposition has actually taken seriously where Jakovic - Mckenna has been our pairing.

IMO, if Edgar keeps getting matches and playing as well as he supposedly is (I can't lie, I haven't seen any full matches of his at Burnley this season), then how can you sit a player who is playing well against better overall competition for a player whose side has been one of the worst defensively in the MLS over the past few seasons? Not that I think Jakovic isn't a decent player, I just think we are far better off with two centre-halves of whom I rate much higher - Mckenna and Edgar.

Just out of curiosity, where has a Jakovic - McKenna pairing shown to be that much superior? What meaningful matches have they played together that are showing they are that much ahead of Edgar?

If the CSA would fix their website, I'd give you exact examples. However, in place of that I seem to remember McKenna and Jakovic playing together during the 2009 Gold Cup. Our results from around that time are:

Canada 3-0 Guatemala

Canada 1-0 Jamaica

Canada 1-0 El Salvador

Canada 2-2 Costa Rica

Canada 1-0 Honduras

I'm pretty sure they played together but I may be wrong. I can't confirm that until I find some game sheets.

Pretty simple question my friend

if JON de guz and hoilett were avail

i would go with

1-HIRSCHFELD

2-EDGAR 4-MC KENNA 5-JAKOVIC 3-KUKLOWSKI

11-SIMPSON 6-JULIAN 8-HUTCHINSON 7-DE JONG

10-JON DE GUZMAN

9-HOILETT

SUBS

STAMA

HAINAULT

STRAITH

MORGAN

JOHNSON

DUNFIELD

BERNIER

DE ROSARIO

JACKSON

OCCEAN

FRIEND

RICKETS

best regards from Argentina and France ...Javier

I see a few posters inserting DeJong on the left side of midfield and I don't think that would be a bad choice at all, especailly if we have Hoillet playing in front of him and JDG2 in the mix! He's obviously a more defensive option than Simpson but I think he has very good crossing ability!

I see a few posters inserting DeJong on the left side of midfield and I don't think that would be a bad choice at all, especailly if we have Hoillet playing in front of him and JDG2 in the mix! He's obviously a more defensive option than Simpson but I think he has very good crossing ability!

well i think my choice is the best of all...a very balanced team.... that can split from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3

hirs; edgar, mckenna, jakovic, kuklow; simpson, julian,hutchinson, de jong; jonathan de guzman; hoilett

I know he had his coming out party against weak opposition, but still I think Ricketts has pace and a willingness to make interesting diagonal runs that we've been missing for years. I think in his case it's not necessarily a question of who as a individual is the "better" player but who best makes up the most dangerous 11.

I can't recall if I responded to this thread and won't go through 5 pages BUT can folks stop putting JDG2 and Jr Hoilett in their squads? They aren't CMNT players. (yes, I want both).

I've been saying since after the first game of the last qualifying round that I think De Jong should be our left sided player.

4-2-3-1

Gk-Milan

LB-Kluka

CB-McKenna

CB-Jako/Edgar

RB-Hainault/Edgar

DM-JDG

CM-Hutch

AM-Simpson (trequarista!)

LW-De Jong

RW-Jackson

CF-Ricketts/Occean

I really can't provide much of an argument over who should start at CB or RB. I loved seeing Edgar going down the right side and he showed good technique (crossing/receiving, and his passing wasn't bad). BUT, he doesn't play there for club. However, Hainault DOES play there for club but I don't recall if he is as technicaly gifted as Edgar, and I can't recall who is "bigger" etc....so I put them both in. Jako is a good player technically. Someone NOT ME once suggested Jako might be a good playmaking DM either beside or in place of JDG. Now I'd LOVE to see that....if for no other reason to know if it's an option or not. Anything to keep JBB or Ledg out of the side in a proper match, TBH. As much as those guys deserve respect for their efforts.

As far as our attacking options - yes, DE JONG wide left would give width and likely a good crosser of the ball. I recall him being one. He'd also provide excellent coverage defensively. Simpson, to me, is wasted on the left as he has no forwards to cross to and is double/triple teamed out wide and isolated. Put him in the middle. Let him create, be free, and link up with Hutch and the forward(s).

I love Jackson's speed down the flank, and he's useful there. Keeps his spot. Ricketts/Occean - I prefer Ricketts as he's faster, and younger, but Occean playing at a higher level and scoring goals. Ricketts has "quicks" though!

My subs:

GK-Lars

CB-Jako/Edgar

RB-Hainault/Edgar

CM-Bernier

AM-DeRo

CF-Ricketts/Occean (or Jackson if Ricketts put wide right)

FINAL SUB - any number of players - Morgan, Straith, Hume, Dunfield, and on and on......

The problem with this squad? The one we all know. Lack of scoring punch.....they'd keep the ball quite well I'd imagine though. Be fairly difficult to score on as well I'd think.

and yes, Jackson can start up top, and some have even suggested Simpson start there but I don't think so.

I know he had his coming out party against weak opposition, but still I think Ricketts has pace and a willingness to make interesting diagonal runs that we've been missing for years. I think in his case it's not necessarily a question of who as a individual is the "better" player but who best makes up the most dangerous 11.

+1 he gives us a whole other dimension, we'll see how he does in February but if you asked me right now I'd put him in the XI, no question.

If the CSA would fix their website, I'd give you exact examples. However, in place of that I seem to remember McKenna and Jakovic playing together during the 2009 Gold Cup. Our results from around that time are:

Canada 3-0 Guatemala

Canada 1-0 Jamaica

Canada 1-0 El Salvador

Canada 2-2 Costa Rica

Canada 1-0 Honduras

I'm pretty sure they played together but I may be wrong. I can't confirm that until I find some game sheets.

This was a post I made a few months ago about the McKenna-Jakovic partnership and their last 6 matches together.

Friendly Canada 3-0 Guatemala - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Canada 1-0 Jamaica - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Canada 1-0 El Salvador - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Honduras 1-0 Canada - solid defensive performance, the goal came from a stupid penalty and was really Honduras's only chance

Friendly Poland 1-0 Canada - For those who watched this one Poland dominated the game and the defence did a fantastic job keeping it at only 1 goal, Jakovic in particular was most people's MotM

Friendly Canada 2-1 Honduras - Only goal came from poor defending from a set piece, Honduras had very few chances.

+1 he gives us a whole other dimension, we'll see how he does in February but if you asked me right now I'd put him in the XI, no question.
At RW? Sure. I still think Ricketts makes a good impact sub, but Jackson has been pretty disappointing at RW

Archived