Who do we think our top 11 is?

baulderdash77

I don't think Jakovic merits a starting place right now, because he's been injured a lot, and same with 2010 too. Certainly with Edgar has more going for him club form wise. Jakovic can earn his spot back once he is healthy and consistently putting in good performance at club.

I think starting from next Feb, whoever Hart picks has to be the 2014 WC squad, certainly the core players must be. (With few exchanges of fringe players) Some players are starting to get really old though (McKenna will be 34 in 2014, JDG 33)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a post I made a few months ago about the McKenna-Jakovic partnership and their last 6 matches together.

Friendly Canada 3-0 Guatemala - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Canada 1-0 Jamaica - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Canada 1-0 El Salvador - clean sheet

Gold Cup 2009 Honduras 1-0 Canada - solid defensive performance, the goal came from a stupid penalty and was really Honduras's only chance

Friendly Poland 1-0 Canada - For those who watched this one Poland dominated the game and the defence did a fantastic job keeping it at only 1 goal, Jakovic in particular was most people's MotM

Friendly Canada 2-1 Honduras - Only goal came from poor defending from a set piece, Honduras had very few chances.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but all I see from those matches are meaningless friendlies and semi-meaningless gold cup. IMO the Gold Cup doesn't seem to get taken all that seriously by most nations, especially in the early rounds.

The biggest difference is where the matches are played. None of those have been played at the oppositions home stadiums, so when looking into WCQ matches, they aren't really that comparable. Playing Honduras in Boston or LA for a GOld Cup match isn't anywhere near the same as playing them in Tegucigalpa.

Again, I'm not saying Jakovic isn't good and he shouldn't be considered; I just think a back line of Kluka-McKenna-Edgar-Hainault is better than one including Jakovic as a centre back.

While my preference right now is Edgar over Jakovic, both are pretty inexperienced at the international level. Jakovic has how many caps? 12? compared to Edgar who has 7. Then again, Edgar has alot more experience at the youth levels plus he is playing regularly right now in a better league. However, I haven't seen anything from Edgar yet that suggests he is better on the ball than Jakovic. It is too bad we don't have a proper right back, because I think Hainualt makes a better CB than both of them but we need him at RB until someone emerges (get it together peters)

I can't recall if I responded to this thread and won't go through 5 pages BUT can folks stop putting JDG2 and Jr Hoilett in their squads? They aren't CMNT players. (yes, I want both).

I've been saying since after the first game of the last qualifying round that I think De Jong should be our left sided player.

4-2-3-1

Gk-Milan

LB-Kluka

CB-McKenna

CB-Jako/Edgar

RB-Hainault/Edgar

DM-JDG

CM-Hutch

AM-Simpson (trequarista!)

LW-De Jong

RW-Jackson

CF-Ricketts/Occean

My subs:

GK-Lars

CB-Jako/Edgar

RB-Hainault/Edgar

CM-Bernier

AM-DeRo

CF-Ricketts/Occean (or Jackson if Ricketts put wide right)

FINAL SUB - any number of players - Morgan, Straith, Hume, Dunfield, and on and on......

I suppose this is about the most that I agree on. It's more well thought out than my original starting 11. I do think that Edgar/McKenna should be our CB's but by the time 2014 rolls around it's going to be Edgar/Jako I think.

Also I'd prefer DeRo as the starting AM but this is probably the last year he holds that position.

Steve Bottjer from Sportsnet gave his opinion on our top 11. I'm surprised he doesn't even list Hutchinson as an honorable mention. Bryce Alderson from Canada's U17 team in the top XI of the men's league? Wow...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/12/08/bottjer_blog/

Tomer Chencinski, goalkeeper

Ashtone Morgan, left fullback

David Edgar, central defender

Paul Hamilton, central defender

Andre Hainault, right fullback

Will Johnson, midfielder

Dwayne De Rosario, midfielder

Bryce Alderson, midfielder

Josh Simpson, forward

Simeon Jackson, forward

Junior Hoilett, forward

Steve Bottjer from Sportsnet gave his opinion on our top 11. I'm surprised he doesn't even list Hutchinson as an honorable mention. Bryce Alderson from Canada's U17 team in the top XI of the men's league? Wow...

Will Johnson, midfielder

Josh Simpson, forward

Simeon Jackson, forward

Junior Hoilett, forward

Only 3 of the names on that list are a full-on crazy (Chencinski, Hamilton, Alderson). Morgan wouldn't be my first (or second) choice at left back either.

Will Johnson, midfielder

Josh Simpson, forward

Simeon Jackson, forward

Junior Hoilett, forward

Who is this guy?? Seriously, that's awful.. a 17 year old without a pro match and a 27 year old keeper who's highest level has been the Finnish first division in our XI.. no Hutchinson, but Morgan and Hamilton?? LOL

Frank Yallop in disguise?

Edit: ooo I see, he's not giving the best XI just the notable players of 2011 from each position

He says he's trying to list the standouts at each position which I read as Best XI.

The bad part of this entry is that it gives the impression that Canada doesn't have high talent levels around the world. That's a perception that a lot of Canadians have about our players. I think if the entry focused on the true best 11 players in the world with honorable mention, it could highlight that we have lots of talent around the world.

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the comments on the article. I do think Atiba is our best player, but the article was really more of a list of the players that had great years and made an impact in 2011. With players like Hutch, De Jong and McKenna being injured, I thought that precluded them from selection for 2011. I did realize that some names would be controversial, but hopefully it breeds some discussion on Canadian soccer and Canadian players, while giving some props to a few names who don't get a lot of mainstream coverage. With respect to Alderson, I thought it was important to highlight someone from the U-17 team, given the fact that squad making the U-17 World Cup was a highlight of the year for me and hopefully a harbinger of a great next generation of players.

Steve

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the comments on the article. I do think Atiba is our best player, but the article was really more of a list of the players that had great years and made an impact in 2011. With players like Hutch, De Jong and McKenna being injured, I thought that precluded them from selection for 2011. I did realize that some names would be controversial, but hopefully it breeds some discussion on Canadian soccer and Canadian players, while giving some props to a few names who don't get a lot of mainstream coverage. With respect to Alderson, I thought it was important to highlight someone from the U-17 team, given the fact that squad making the U-17 World Cup was a highlight of the year for me and hopefully a harbinger of a great next generation of players.

Steve

That makes a lot more sense. All of the players named deserved to be highlighted for different reasons in 2011, even if they don't constitute the best possible Canadian XI.

Archived