Montreal MLS roster discussion

I like Stalteri a lot but I don't think he would be a good signing for Montreal. He was always a player who got by on athletic ability and effort not skill. He also was an iron man for years and played every game and was never injured. In recent years he has had a plethora of injuries and at 34 must be starting to slow down though it is hard to say since he has hardly played for the last couple of years. He is a player who relied on his physique and once the body of such a player gives out their effectiveness will decline rapidly. At a certain salary level it might be worth taking a chance on him but I doubt he will want to play at that salary level, ie. $70 or 80 k.

Very true Grizz, exactly what I was thinking but I also think he'd need to have SERIOUSLY declined as an athlete to not contribute in MLS, he obviously has a bit of skill, though his technique may not look Brazilian his track record speaks for itself. He is also versatile which could work in his favour if he no longer has the ability to play RB.. maybe a move to another position.

I'd like them to at least invite him to camp.. if nothing comes of it hey maybe he'll catch another team's eye but at least he'll be back in a competitive environment and he'll know whether he can continue or if he's done.. 34 is old but definitely not too old, look at Ante Jazic a player over a year older than Paul who plays a similar position and never at the calibre of Stalteri is a solid player in the league.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was always a player who got by on athletic ability and effort not skill.

MLS would probably be a terrible league for him then. MLS is a very athletic and physical league. What it lacks is more players with skill.

But I still would love to see more national team players return.

The player in that regard that makes the most sense to everybody is probably Bernier, really hope that happens.

Nakajima-Faran is an interesting case, it seems weird that he's in Australia given that based on his MNT performances of acouple years ago I'd say he could be dangerous in the MLS.

From a marketing standpoint as well as team it would cool if they could swing a trade to bring in Haineault... but I'm not sure how realistic that is as I don't know much about the Dynamo.

Incidentally, Marsch has confirmed that Anelka is still a strong interest for the Impact. So they're not totally adverse to the marketing-oriented signing.

For those wondering about the Issey situation:

http://rednationonline.ca/rednationinterviewisseynakajimafarran.aspx

Well I guess that settles the question as to where his family and home is. Canada so MLS would be a homecoming. Good interview although his responses are very diplomatic on the most interesting questions which is probably wise but obviously less informative for us.

The player in that regard that makes the most sense to everybody is probably Bernier, really hope that happens.

Nakajima-Faran is an interesting case, it seems weird that he's in Australia given that based on his MNT performances of acouple years ago I'd say he could be dangerous in the MLS.

From a marketing standpoint as well as team it would cool if they could swing a trade to bring in Haineault... but I'm not sure how realistic that is as I don't know much about the Dynamo.

Incidentally, Marsch has confirmed that Anelka is still a strong interest for the Impact. So they're not totally adverse to the marketing-oriented signing.

The Hainault dilemma reminds me of DeRo in 2006 when TFC was first coming in, he's the one player I wanted us to get from outside but he was just too valuable to them to trade.. I think the MLS playoffs are showing how key Hainault is to that team and it probably wouldn't be worth it to overpay for a hometown boy at this point.. further down the road the opportunity will come up.

The players you would want, like Rosicky, probably still have enough suitors that they won't come. The ones you can get, are the ones you don't want, like Emile Heskey.

Marc-Antoine Fortune is someone I would be very interested in though. He'd be perfect for this level.

Just to add my $.02, I am super stoked the impact are joining MLS, that said, it is going to be a few years before they have a true MLS standard team, still thinking I should buy some seasons and gift them to Family in Montreal. I just so desperately want to see them do well financially so they can eventually do well on the field.

Just to add my $.02, I am super stoked the impact are joining MLS, that said, it is going to be a few years before they have a true MLS standard team, still thinking I should buy some seasons and gift them to Family in Montreal. I just so desperately want to see them do well financially so they can eventually do well on the field.

Why is it going to be a few years? MLS isn't like any other NA sports league.. the team will be able to be competitive right away if they make the right moves

Yes. Of the eight expansion clubs since 2005, only Seattle (2009) managed to have a successfull first year. Portland looked OK for a while.

2005-CHV (4W, 22L, 6T) last in the league

2005-RSL (5W, 22L, 5T) next to last in the league

2007-TFC (6W,17L, 7T) last in the league

2008-SJ (8W, 13L, 9T) Last in the league

2009-Sea (12W, 7L, 11T) made playoffs, fourth in the league

2010-Phi (8W, 15L, 7T) third lowest points in the league

2011-Van (6W, 18L, 10T) tied for last in the league

2011- Por (11W, 14L, 9T) missed playoffs

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, or maybe it has:

Should IMFC offer DeRo the DP money he is rumored to be seeking?

Sounds like DC United will offer him a contract extension. They have a club option for next year, but want to keep him happy so there isn't another Celtic incident. Even though there is talk that DC United might be moving, it doesn't effect their budget. I expect DeRo to finish his last productive years with United whether they be in new stadium in Washington DC or more likely Baltimore. Or even Orlando.

Sounds like DC United will offer him a contract extension. They have a club option for next year, but want to keep him happy so there isn't another Celtic incident. Even though there is talk that DC United might be moving, it doesn't effect their budget. I expect DeRo to finish his last productive years with United whether they be in new stadium in Washington DC or more likely Baltimore. Or even Orlando.

But that still means - hypothetically - that they can't stop him - hypothetically - from following the money if they couldn't match the Impact's - hypothetical - offer

Biello and NDS are currently in Portugal . Some hope this is to help lure non other than Pedro Pacheco to IMFC. He is represented by Kafute who has an important history of providing players to IMFC.

I would personally love to see this happen.

Yes +1 that would make a very nice domestic signing

Archived